Advice for newer players looking to legitimately gain xp

But anyway, yeah, the in-game sound effects are a VERY important tool! Try playing a whole game on mute - totally different experience, although I find I sometimes focus more when I do this...hmmm.

Yep, there're benefits to competitively playin' games either on mute or with higher sound details. The best part of playing on mute is as you said; you'll have a more intensive focus. If you lose one sense (hearing, in this case) your other senses sharpen. Since you have less information to take in with noise out of the picture, you'll notice more subtleties and process info quicker as a whole. Unfortunately, some games just can't be played without sound since you might absolutely need audio cues... Or it might just kill the enjoyment.

That, or the benefits of elevated sound like ya detailed are just-plain superior to the perks of silence.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but try to know where the spawns are in certain maps. For example, I was playing yesterday and killed an afk guy, found his teamate nearby, killed him as well, then went to the nearest spawn point to find the afk guy again. Also, with a knowledge of spawn points, you can generally look for the enemy team around spawn points that your team aren't near.

Spawn killing on a continuous and repetitive basis is highly effective, but IMHO a bit unethical. Once you get skilled enough, you shouldn't need to sit on spawn points to rack up kill streaks. Like you said, Kevin, moving between spawn points can be part of the game. However, I would caution the more inexperienced players to avoid "sitting" on any single spawn point. You will quickly become the go-to target of multiple pissed off people, particularly in a conflict match! A good example is the back hallway upstairs in archives level. Hiding in the one corner near the stairs, or down the opposite end behind the green box is not good form, and will often result in you becoming a grenade practice dummy.

I saw a movie on youtube, where 3 lvl 56 where locking down a team. Now i think they're where rather good players.
But i could not help but think it pathetic that they where proud they managed to totally own a team of lowlvl noobs (i think most of them where below lvl 10)
by killing them mere milliseconds after they spawned.

I generally frown upon camping and spawn killing, but the purpose of this thread is to advise on how to gain exp. That said, I mentioned knowing spawn points as a way to preempt enemies when a person and/or his/her team clears out an area. For example, by watching the radar correctly and knowing teammates' locations, it's pretty easy to guess where the enemy will be spawning at and which way they'll be coming from.

Also, if you're playing GE mode, and the enemy is taking, say, console 5, and consoles 1 and 2 are near there, then it narrows down where the enemy is likely to be. (not sure if run-on)

If I might add my two cents on the topic, for the lower levels you shouldn't always try to take on high level people head on. Often you can get the drop on them by letting teammates distract them and running around behind them and getting surprise kills, this works well for getting people in the green room on Nightclub and Station. Another tip for snipers is after a few kills, move to a corner or spot that you can see your spot, but anyone going to that spot won't see you and assuming some player is out for revenge you can run behind them and get two quick melee hits (always do two melee hits, unless you know the player you're hitting doesn't have bio-boost) this tactic works best in the memorial starting spawns.

To add to Zanapher's comment...
Just become good at melee'ing in general. I still see a lot of "average" players that can be crack shots, but are terrible in close quarters combat. When u are reloading, this is basically your only defense. Get good at it and get quick at it!

To add to Tampa's comment ...
Try not to become the noob that just starts meele'ing nonstop, i know it's tempting but if you haven't hit the guy after a few meeles then consider running away.

To add to Xplosive's comment...
In close quater combat instead of waiting for your gun to reload you should not meele. You should switch to your secondary weapon.

To add to Yoshi's comment that added to xplosive's comment that added to my comment yadda yadda....
Don't be "that guy," period. Nice folks. ;-)

To add to Xplosive's comment...
In close quater combat instead of waiting for your gun to reload you should not meele. You should switch to your secondary weapon.

That all depends on what situation you're in, because you can get off two melee hits faster than your secondary pistols can get shots in, aside from the kunara and wolfe (witch by the time you have them you're not really a new player). In times like that it's better to have speed loader and reload your weapon faster, or if using the stauger make use of the melee reload glitch (melee right when the clip is full and it will stop the animation) when using shotguns you can just put in one shell and melee and hope you only need one shot. Or another (albeit annoying tactic) is to cook a grenade for a while and throw it at the enemy so that it explodes almost immediately once the enemy is in the lethal blast radius.

Yeah, it is a fun surprise when you hit someone directly in the face with a delayed-nade! Come around a corner and BOOM! Fun times...

Those two melee are really necessary.
I've been weening myself of HH with my latest alt, and decided to make one life loadout.
I normally use SS on all but the sniper, but this time fornthe fun of it i combined RA+Bio and it refreshing when you're still alive after a melee hit or after a shotgun shot.
Or more like amusing to see some players give me up for dead already and run by me only to realize their mistake when i shoot them in the back.

Another tip for the real big noobs, in close combat don't go ADS mode.
It's a big NO. just hipfire.

Last edited:
Redcrow - do you use classic controller when you play or wiimote/numbchuck? I use wiimote/nubchuck and do not find SnapShot to be worth a damn. I believe that SnapShot is more beneficial for classic controller users...?

I use classic controller. Never figured the wiiMote out.
When using SS i can kill players at the number 5 spot in station from the number 4 spot in station without using a full clip.
Without SS i need a full clip to do so. So the accuracy is definitely improved. There is a noticeable difference as soon as you go slightly beyond midrange with assault/CCQ guns.

As for snipers and shotguns, with SS i notice the game gives off less glitches. With that i mean the times when you are right in front of some1 and hit the dude/girl straight in the face, the game gives you for some inexplicable meaning a miss.

Back