American Vehicles vs European Vehicles

Well automatics (at least every one of them that I opened) have clutch packs... which are similar in how they do what they do (friction) but they do not do the same as a clutch on a manual car.

As far as the earlier argument goes... You claim that euro cars get an average of 60 mpg, but then you say that no one goes under 80 mph...? Not even a hybrid will get that kind of gas mileage at 80 mph. One of the reasons that mpg arguments are ridiculous is that it depends on the driver as well as driving conditions, vehicle age/maintenance, and a bunch of other factors. Most vehicles are engineered so that they have their optimum (generally) 4th gear mpg at 65 mph (since that makes sense, at least in America that's generally the highway speed limit, in the U.K. its 60-70mph, so basically the same) so if you're car is engineered to have peak mph at 65 mph and you're going 80 well then you're car isn't getting 60 mph anymore (which I doubt it would be getting anyway, unless it's a deisel hybrid maybe.)

I’m not saying you don't know how to put on brake pads... I’m just saying that it seems like you have more to learn about automobile engineering (especially in the transmission department).

Last edited:
Singhson said:
Get a proper Education m8!
I'm 12, my dad owns 3 taxi firms, we've got all the cars in the world, and the mechanic's showed me how everything works!
I can do whole lot more than you pansy Americans can!

Combining English with maths, this guy truly is a genius!

gettin off this topic just a little bit, whats everyone into? what type of races are you into? i would have to go with rally-ing, and i love watching Japanese Course Races, or when american goes against import, it just makes me wanna go outside and rev my car and blast through everystreet possible but i cant. )=

KTIGZ said:
gettin off this topic just a little bit, whats everyone into? what type of races are you into? i would have to go with rally-ing, and i love watching Japanese Course Races, or when american goes against import, it just makes me wanna go outside and rev my car and blast through everystreet possible but i cant. )=

rally is my favorite, but really anything, drag, nascar, road course, autox, drift, sprint, super modifieds. anything really.

smyth said:
rally is my favorite, but really anything, drag, nascar, road course, autox, drift, sprint, super modifieds. anything really.

Yeah, I'll watch anything, but mainly road course stuff like SCCA, American Grand Am, 24 Hour of Daytona (which I attended this year! Woot!)

Plus I enjoy doing it myself:

7c28147f.jpg

[DT] said:
Plus I enjoy doing it myself:

same here though there hasn't been much of that since my brother totalled my car when i lent it to him... :sad: :frown2:

it wasn't anything nutty but low 13s weren't bad, and autoX was a blast in it.

i'll get/mod another one soon.

smyth said:
same here though there hasn't been much of that since my brother totalled my car when i lent it to him... :sad: :frown2:

Oh jeez, that stinks.

Yeah, my schedule has been all goofed up so I haven't gone to any events recently either. I usually try to get to Roebling Road (pictured above) or Sebring a few times a year. Roebling is only ~2 hours away, and is a fun little track, plus Savannah is a blast (tech check at 7am after having a little too much fun in Savannah, not so much).

There's a Roebling event coming up in May I *might* attend - the weekend after is Sebring so most people hold of for that, making the RR event much smaller (big plus, less traffic).

There's actually a local auto/x track that hosts quite a few events - probably get out to one of those sometime soon - it's at the local LEO training course, and they can config it dozens of different ways. There were national drivers out the last time from all over the US, so it's a pretty big deal (and not as abusive as full on road course).

GOD!!!!!i hate you guys!!!!! no i dont, but ughhh i wish i could be racing on professical courses, but noooo im only 16 :( , you attended the 24 Hour Endurance Race(Daytona) , how was it? i bet it was fun

[DT] said:
Oh jeez, that stinks.

Yeah, my schedule has been all goofed up so I haven't gone to any events recently either. I usually try to get to Roebling Road (pictured above) or Sebring a few times a year. Roebling is only ~2 hours away, and is a fun little track, plus Savannah is a blast (tech check at 7am after having a little too much fun in Savannah, not so much).

There's a Roebling event coming up in May I *might* attend - the weekend after is Sebring so most people hold of for that, making the RR event much smaller (big plus, less traffic).

There's actually a local auto/x track that hosts quite a few events - probably get out to one of those sometime soon - it's at the local LEO training course, and they can config it dozens of different ways. There were national drivers out the last time from all over the US, so it's a pretty big deal (and not as abusive as full on road course).

i'm about 20 minutes from a track(Raceway Park). They have autox at least weekly, drag(cars and motorcycles) time trials 2-3 times a week with events 1-2 times per week, plus a go kart track(and dirt bike track, but i don't use either). with plans on building a road course. The only bad part about the autox there is that it's just cones in a huge parking lot, and the parking lot isn't that great. It isn't so bad that you would damage your car but there are times when they set up the cones and there's a bumb or crack in the pavement right at the apex of a turn.
It's cool though because they hold Spring Nationals there, so that's always fun to watch.
There was one guy that used to go almost every week and drag his turbo hayabusa with nitrous. It was ridiculous.

KTIGZ said:
GOD!!!!!i hate you guys!!!!! no i dont, but ughhh i wish i could be racing on professical courses, but noooo im only 16 , you attended the 24 Hour Endurance Race(Daytona) , how was it? i bet it was fun

where in jersey are you? i know you're not 17 yet, but once you are you're probably closer to a track(atleast a drag track) than you think.

Last edited:
well i live in North Bergen, New Jersey....the closest track i know about is in Englishtown, i know they have a dragstrip there so ill be hitting it up pretty soon due to i turn 17 on the 22nd of this month.

KTIGZ said:
you attended the 24 Hour Endurance Race(Daytona) , how was it? i bet it was fun

Yeah, it was awesome hadn't been in a few years - Christmas from the wifey :D There's a few pics scattered through the PhotoThread, but maybe I'll post 'em here or in "The Car" thread!

smyth said:
i'm about 20 minutes from a track(Raceway Park).

Cool, what do you drive?

A buddy of mine is finishing up his Noble GT - should be a blast!

smyth said:
where in jersey are you? i know you're not 17 yet, but once you are you're probably closer to a track(atleast a drag track) than you think.

Copy that - there are WAY more tracks and events around than you'd ever suspect. Heck this A/X track is like 5 miles away and hosting national level events and I had no idea for years.

[DT] said:
Yeah, it was awesome hadn't been in a few years - Christmas from the wifey :D There's a few pics scattered through the PhotoThread, but maybe I'll post 'em here or in "The Car" thread!

Cool, what do you drive?

A buddy of mine is finishing up his Noble GT - should be a blast!

Copy that - there are WAY more tracks and events around than you'd ever suspect. Heck this A/X track is like 5 miles away and hosting national level events and I had no idea for years.

nothing as exotic as a noble. haha. I had a 2003 WRX, with a decent amount of mods. Fun car, the best part about it was that it ran low 13s, was a blast to go autoxing with, same for rallyxing, and the thing was amazingly reliable. Loved that car. Then i had an 87 VW Golf with a GTI swap(sold before the other car got totalled though :(). Now i'm driving around a leased 2006 WRX, which is nice but i don't want to buy it out and i really don't want to have to bring it back to stock when the lease is up so i'm going to leave that alone. I have a 96 Subaru Impreza 2.2 L with a blown motor, i plan on doing either a version 7 sti swap or a USDM 2.5 STi Swap, not sure yet. But that project hasn't even really started and i'm not even sure if i feel like doing it at this point anyway. I may just get an old VW or Mercedes deisel or something and do an ethynol conversion instead.
... i really need to make up my mind :lol:

KTIGZ said:
yes let me know about the pictures :yesnod: i would love to see them.

You should be less than an hour to englishtown's track then. That's really not bad at all. the only thing i reccommend is going a couple times on a saturday with a buddy or something that's gone before. The reason i say saturday is because then you can get there pretty early and watch autox once that season starts then the drag begins and you'll be able to make a day or it so the drive won't seem bad at all. And i reccommend going with a friend that's raced there before and not racing yourself once or twice because it's kind of easy to get confused about what you're supposed to do when you're new to it, and when you don't go where you're supposed to go or do what you're supposed to sometimes workers and other drivers get pissed. And piss off an employee enough and you won't be racing at all anyway. It'll get you familiar with tech inspec, staging, where everything is, and just a general flow of how everything works. Also your first time racing, stay in the staging lane and don't wonder too far from your car, the worst thing in the world is when you forget your lane number or you don't hear them call it and you get back to your car only to realize that you missed your call and missed out on a run/pissed people off. Once you've been there a few times you get used to how everthing works though. Oh and since you're just getting your dl, get used to your car a lot before you even think about running at a track.

my last tip which has been said by a million people an uncountable amount of times, go on the last yellow light, don't wait for green :yesnod:

Last edited:
smyth said:
nothing as exotic as a noble. haha. I had a 2003 WRX, with a decent amount of mods. Fun car, the best part about it was that it ran low 13s, was a blast to go autoxing with, same for rallyxing, and the thing was amazingly reliable. Loved that car. Then i had an 87 VW Golf with a GTI swap(sold before the other car got totalled though :(). Now i'm driving around a leased 2006 WRX, which is nice but i don't want to buy it out and i really don't want to have to bring it back to stock when the lease is up so i'm going to leave that alone. I have a 96 Subaru Impreza 2.2 L with a blown motor, i plan on doing either a version 7 sti swap or a USDM 2.5 STi Swap, not sure yet. But that project hasn't even really started and i'm not even sure if i feel like doing it at this point anyway. I may just get an old VW or Mercedes deisel or something and do an ethynol conversion instead.
... i really need to make up my mind :lol:

any pics of your 2003 WRX?

Back