Applying at GameStop

girlsgame2

WiiChat Member
Feb 10, 2008
CA
So I know this isn't really Wii-specific, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Yesterday I grabbed an application for GameStop, and there is a spot for me to put information about "Game Knowledge" and a spot for "Computer Knowledge" and I'm not exactly sure what to put in these spaces. "game knowledge" is pretty general, what exactly do they want me to say? What games I've played, or what? Also, for "computer knowledge," are they looking for things like programs/operating systems I know how to use? It's not very specific.

Thank you!!

Id just put down a question
Some thing like
How do I say what my knowlage of games is ?

PC Might mean as in hardware

Here's how you want to respond to those - change this as needed to accommodate your ACTUAL knowledge in these areas (or not):

Game Knowledge

I have hands-on experience will all major systems and a wide range of game types. I can recommend games and consoles based on the buyers age or interests, as well as additional peripherals that would help to make their gaming experience more fun.

Computer Knowledge

I have a general understanding of PC operation, software and driver installs. I understand hardware requirements for various games and can make recommendations based on the buyer's setup.

I would keep it simple - note how those responses spin both your ability to SELL and to assist in PRE and POST sales customer service. If there's a spot about your reason for being interested in a position at GameStop I'd say something like "I am an avid gamer and would enjoy talking to customers and helping them choose the right products" or something to that effect.

In other words:

1) I know the business
2) I am enthusiastic about the business
3) I can make money for the business

Darkprinny said:
Id just put down a question
Some thing like
How do I say what my knowlage of games is ?

That's exactly how NOT to get hired.

[DT] said:
That's exactly how NOT to get hired.

Why ?
Put in mind that I did practicaly run a inde game shop once

Darkprinny said:

GameStop likely gets dozens of applications - it's easy for them to pass on people. Someone responds to a simple item on the app with a question? No thanks. A good bit of those documents are a "test" to see how well you can articulate your skills and value to the company.

If I were doing the hiring and someone asked me how to explain their own understanding of the basic requirement for the job, I'd stick 'em over in the "pass" stack.

I've done a significant amount of interviewing/hiring for my last two enterprises (and had some of the best people ever) - I developed a pretty good sense for how to convey your value to a potential employer (especially in a "technical" position).

I also always got positions I wanted (when approaching this as the potential hiree), so I've seen it from both sides and been pretty effective.

Of course, that's just my $0.02 worth of advice, so take it for what it's worth :)

i have an interview tomorrow at 3 (it's 5:45 where i live right now). does anybody who works there have any advice? how should i prepare? i have no work experience so this whole thing is pretty new to me. thanks!

dakuda said:
Shake the interviewer's hand firmly. Don't try to crush it, just be confident. Look him/her in the eye and be polite.

Thats kinda one of my probs
I have strong hands
and no way of tellin that ive griped to hard untill the other person passis out

CocoSSBB said:
Who cares, on slow days you can play the games that they have set up there. Beats McDonald's.

Yeah but when a customer comes in you have to pause it
If they feel ignored they might not buy anything

Back