Are Betas ruining our view of games?

RedFox

Free Spirit
Jun 18, 2007
Behind your local Wal-Mart
I know this may not be the best time and place to bring this up but I was just thinking to get this off my mind and see what other people thought.

Halo 3 has Betas. We know. So far, Halo 3 rocks. We know.

But are these simple samples of amazingly and legendary great games only ruining it for us gamers? Think about it.

Say Halo 3 never had a Beta and never even mentioned one. The wait would be simular to the one for Halo 2. Gamers would simply eagerly anticipate the title and get aticle updates and previews until it came out and then fun was enjoyed by all. No one could be completely upset because they chose to buy or not to buy the based on reading previews, reviews, and watching trailers.

Now. Halo 3 does have two Betas now (I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.) and players are having their share of fun. Of course, is this only ruining the finished game as a whole?

Hardcore fans and gamers are going to play these Betas until the actual game come out. Will the fun factor of the complete game be reduced because of the Beta? We can only wait and see.

I'm not sure what else to say on the matter. If you would like to argue my point or support it, feel free. I just thought I'd throw this thought out on the table.

One last thing to place in your mind: What if Super Smash Brothers Brawl came out with a Beta? What would it be like and how would it affect all of us?

Peace, all.

Ronald said:
Then whats the problem :S
he's trying to say:

if you're given a demo and you get to play part of the game before the whole thing comes out, does it ruin the experience when you get the whole game?

ya, i think you're kind of right on that, but i still think there should be a demo channel for wii:thumbsup:

RedFox said:
I know this may not be the best time and place to bring this up but I was just thinking to get this off my mind and see what other people thought.

Halo 3 has Betas. We know. So far, Halo 3 rocks. We know.

But are these simple samples of amazingly and legendary great games only ruining it for us gamers? Think about it.

Say Halo 3 never had a Beta and never even mentioned one. The wait would be simular to the one for Halo 2. Gamers would simply eagerly anticipate the title and get aticle updates and previews until it came out and then fun was enjoyed by all. No one could be completely upset because they chose to buy or not to buy the based on reading previews, reviews, and watching trailers.

Now. Halo 3 does have two Betas now (I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.) and players are having their share of fun. Of course, is this only ruining the finished game as a whole?

Hardcore fans and gamers are going to play these Betas until the actual game come out. Will the fun factor of the complete game be reduced because of the Beta? We can only wait and see.

I'm not sure what else to say on the matter. If you would like to argue my point or support it, feel free. I just thought I'd throw this thought out on the table.

One last thing to place in your mind: What if Super Smash Brothers Brawl came out with a Beta? What would it be like and how would it affect all of us?

Peace, all.

You made a very good point. Betas create the possibility to ruin the hype for a game. They're somewhat like appetizers, after you've had them, you aren't as hungry for the main meal as you were before. I like the fact that there are betas and demos, but it can be somewhat of a bad move for gaming companies. With all that hype lost, some people will decide not to buy the game if they don't like the demo. Others may try the demo to see if they would want to buy the game, and they either don't want to buy the finished version or they do. Seems like people would get the very most excitement for playing a game when betas aren't released, information about the game is released, and when the game company designed the game based on what people want.......WiiChat, I give you BRAWL!!!

I like demos and stuff so that I can make sure that I like it rather than buying it and wasting my money. I don't know if it would be good or bad for the game companies though. Because some people might decide against getting it, but some people who aren't sure whether they want it or not could be convinced to buy it. Beta testing is good though so we don't have tons of bugs. *cough*360*cough*

Most games have beta versions and even alpha versions that are tested. Halo 3 is a game with massive hype, which is why the beta is so well known. Consoles are increasingly being incorporated into the internet which makes distributing beta versions easier. Betas have been widespread in the computer game industry for a while now since it has been linked with the internet for a longer time than consoles.

Back