Art thread

Exactly. Spaz is pretty much godlike.

Haha, so you collected the comics, too. That was where my inspiration developed, and I'm sure yours as well.

So do you think you have to be born with an aversion to drawing, or can you just force yourself to be good over a long enough period of time?

So do you think you have to be born with an aversion to drawing, or can you just force yourself to be good over a long enough period of time?

Obviously you have to be born with it as it mostly shows up in the family. Everyone will progress at everything naturally, it doesn't meant you're forcing yourself to be good at it. It's just what happens. Art is the most boring waiting game of your life for improvement though. I don't think you can force yourself. Otherwise, I would have forced myself to be good at singing or something.

And that drawing you posted has very good lines. I like it, a lot.

I always figured I inherited it from my dad. He was a great artist back when he drew. He was one of those artist that could draw a person and make it look like a photo. He always tried to get me to draw more realistic things but I wound up being a cartoonist :p

EDIT: @ Bio yeah I collected a few. IMO his best work was in the late 90s Knuckles the Echidna comics. And really it was a mix between that and the 90s Venom comics from Marvel that inspired me.

Last edited:

It doesn't matter, really. People think that only because it's usually a considerably longer process if you aren't averted to it already (it's still very possible, though).

What makes it difficult for the uninclined is that there is trouble wrapping around the brain that making Art might be only 20% about what you see and 80% what you know, when most would actually assume it's the reverse, being the seeing creatures we are. To make realistic shading on an apple isn't based on how well you see the apple in front of you, but how well you understand the behavior of shadows itself as they wrap around a form like that (the apple). It is this inclination to understanding how you need to execute something that gets your momentum going in Art. If you're artistically inclined, it only means you can get that momentum moving sooner. To really start understanding something, though, takes quite a bit of time and practice.

This is why, like Sixty said, you can't force yourself to improve. There will naturally be times where you have to educate yourself, of course (which is forceful in itself), but executing what you learn won't look as polished as you'd like for a long while; it is through this where it cannot be forced.

Last edited:
...I offend people. That's life.

And 'The man with the balloon' piece looks far from cartoon. Far from extremely unrealistic, like cartoon, thank you. I enjoy realistic things. I'm not the most talented artist in the world. I just do what I can, and most of the time I'm pleased. A lot of the time, I hate what I do, because it's not of the standard I wish it would be. So I'm not at all aspiring to be a cartoonist, or indeed produce pieces that unrealistic. I do the best I can.

Oh, and yeah, I do type in caps.

When it comes to Art 'Philosophy', I'm not one that's intrigued by 'this means this' or 'this means that'.
Art is purely what you see, or hear in the case of music. As long as it's beautiful, aesthetically pleasing, or pleasant on the eye - whatever.

I can't easily describe Art that I like. I can't describe kinds of Art that I like.

By stating that I don't like cartoon, I'm talking really rather broadly. I mean most unrealistic things, most unreleastic characters etc.

I do, however, enjoy some less realistic pieces. For example:

pco_windinoursails_tn.jpg

Paul Corfield, I think is amazing. I love his work, yet it is somewhat unrealistic.
There's always exceptions.
I dunno it (The Man in the Snow) looked somewhat like a cartoon to me. Cartoon doesn't necessarily mean extreamly unrealistic.

But you make it sound like there can be absolutley no realism to anything cartoony. That as most of us know is not true. Well atleast I know. :shifty:

Thats because you see black and white. No shades of grey. To you realistic and cartoon are terms of what artwork is.

What do you think about moving from this:

post-10-1152296557.jpg

To this:

picasso_selfport1907.jpg

I think this man is brilliant. Picasso is one of my favorite artists out there. But to understand it you have to know what he was going on about. Art definitely isn't just looking at something, because yeah, that'd sure suck for him. Granted, if I was given the talent to paint that picture at the top at age fourteen I'd do something different with it. He's fascinating though.

...I offend people. That's life.

Yeah, I know. You freely offend others without a care in the world, but then you get flat out angry when someone insults you. That's not life, that's you.
And 'The man with the balloon' piece looks far from cartoon. Far from extremely unrealistic, like cartoon, thank you.

Honestly, to me.. It looks cartoony with an approach to realism. You seem to be only thinking of cartoons with the image of say.. Daffy Duck, Micky Mouse, Garfield, Looney Tunes, etc.. making it hard for you to imagine any realism to cartoon characters in general

I enjoy realistic things. I'm not the most talented artist in the world. I just do what I can, and most of the time I'm pleased. A lot of the time, I hate what I do, because it's not of the standard I wish it would be. So I'm not at all aspiring to be a cartoonist, or indeed produce pieces that unrealistic. I do the best I can.

Doesn't mean you have to **** on other people who take an "unlrealistic" approach with their art. Of course there's realistic cartoons/mangas out there, Bio's artworks are a good example of that.

DRMARIO said:
I do, however, detest flat-out unrealistic cartoon..things. I like a lot of abstract pieces, too.
When it comes to Modern Art, I do appreciate some of it - but there are extremes. I'll try and find a picture, but I have a photograph of a piece that was in the Tate Gallery, and it's meant to be 'art'. It's preposterous.

n653007712_1558884_5119.jpg

You don't have the necessary mindset for that person's piece, which is why you find it absurd or ridiculous. You only look at art from the outside, observing it's beauty, rather than looking on the inside (philosophically speaking of course).. To you, it's just a big, boring, blue square.. but to those who observe it's simplicity, but yet take a deeper look into it.. understand the reason for why it's just a blue square..

I'm assuming his intentions for that blue square, would be like staring at a bathroom towel.. Stare long enough and use your imagination, you'll eventually start seeing things in that towel (like a monkey's face, because of the texture).. or seeing things in the texture of most house ceilings. Blue, commonly viewed as a cool, relaxing color.. stare at his blue square long enough with your imagination, and maybe picture oceans, the sky on a summer day, etc.

Brawny said:

I feel anyone with enough dedication and passion for art, can be good at it. I've been drawing since I was 4 (I'm 25 now), and my mother says I was born with this talent.. I don't really believe that, when I was 4, I would simply scribble everywhere, but I loved doing it so much that I didn't want to stop. Eventually I got better at it with enough dedication, and developed a passion for it.. getting better and better with practice.

Sixty said:
I don't think you can force yourself. Otherwise, I would have forced myself to be good at singing or something.

There's a difference, you can't force yourself to be a fantastic singer if you don't have the kind of voice to be able to do it.

Barry White is not going to be able to sing like Rob Halford. This includes people with voices unfit for proper singing.

Last edited:
I do not get angry at all when people insult me

I've seen different.

DRMARIO said:
As for my view on art, I'll just repeat myself.

Totally unnecessary.. I'm already aware of your view on art, I'm stating anyway that you do not possess the necessary mindset to appreciate and or tolerate certain styles of art, and thus you judge/criticize them ignorantly.

I may retaliate to an insult, but I'm certainly never angry. You do not know me - you do however, see what I write on the internet. Text does not depict emotion well.

I am certainly not ignorant. I simply judge with my own opinion, which is as valid as the next person's.

If you want to *****, or argue, go somewhere else.

Clearly you don't understand the full definition of ignorance. You lack understanding for one person's art, then form an immediately ignorant opinion. I don't have to go anywhere, it's a public forum. I'm not bitching either, you commonly shut the door in peoples' faces in debates when things aren't going your way.

You did it to me on Messenger when I began bringing valid points to you, you did it in a few of the Lounge debates, and you're doing it again here.

DRMARIO said:
I don't want unnecessary arguments.

Then don't participate in them.

Can't you see your fighting is tearing us apart!?! :sad:

I'm just glad this discussion made us go like 2 pages ahead my last art post. I've updated so much of it lately that I'm embarassed at having shown what it once was. =x

Back