Art thread

Considering you have a reference photo, just try and emulate the shading of the eye that's on the actual picture. You won't need much shading at all for the inside.

Other than that, looks like shading progress is going well. Not sure why you shortened her forehead again, but good luck.

The drawing is looking good, Frogger.

Jack having seen your update, and being a photographer not a drawer, it seems actually fairly accurate giving the hard light, except for the eyes. Almost split the eye in half and shade the lower half and corners slightly darker, her eyes don't sit realistically in her face atm.

Also see if you can emulate a soft connection between her hair and face.

Grats choosing a hard composition to copy though, it will be awesome when its complete.

Dude all apologies if I come across as harsh, cos I can no longer draw. I'm just going by how it compares to the original photo. It is looking good though, now that I can see how difficult a composition you chose! Thats a difficult pose to draw.

Next on my list xD

And I totally agree with you on the eyes. I think they let the whole thing down.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't think the eyes let it down. I think they need to go a tiny bit darker, but that's all I'd change with them. I think a lot of things could go darker, like in the 6B range. I'd never go near a pencil that dark, but you're going to have to if you're going to pull off that coat and the hair. The hair seems fair at the moment.

One thing that does let it down. You know those creases people have in their face either side of the nose? The one on the left is way off or too harsh (if you're happy with the positioning of it), and it makes it look artificial.

ZOMG. I PSed it. :O

Ignore mess at the bottom.

Shadows could be even darker:

p60601271.jpg

Yes, continue to focus on the darkest areas of her face and meet that level of shade (but as always, make a smooth gradation towards that darkness, as Deanis mentioned with the hairline).

Also, in relationship to her nose, her lips can be extended a bit farther to the viewer's left side (<- That way. lol.).

The face is beautifully done! It's proportionately correct and the softness of the skin looks to be very accurate. The clothing also looks to be very well-drawn.

Seeing as you aren't satisfied with it, I'd say the only two issues are the "stringy" appearance of the hair and the inconsistency of value between her clothing and her face. I could always elaborate if necessary.

Overall, though, and judging this from your other works...this picture is very successful, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Its good Frogger. Maybe the face needs some more highlights above the cheeks?

Its a tad 'doughy'.

I don't like anything I draw lately.

The clothes aren't finished, as she currently has no shoulders. I don't think I'm going to touch the face. I can only make that worse. Hopefully the other half of the picture will bring the composition together.

YAY.

I'l upload some of my ancient drawings sometime.

Most dont even HAVE faces, cos I could never get eyes to look natural and it **** me to tears. LOL.

Back