beginers guide to - Makein gifs/animations

using sprite sheets is cheating.
For an animation you can could your own, you need to make them yourself. Anyone can take a sprite sheet, animate it, and then call it their own. But that's not fair, because the actual artist did nearly all the work and you got credit for it.

For BEGINNERS, I suggest using a template because it is easier to make characters and you are doing most of the art.

Last edited:
that's not a fair statement... we all use prefabbed gifs and images and modify them a lot or a little... depends on what effect we want... :yesnod:

like you didn't draw the clarinet in your avy...

idjut said:
that's not a fair statement... we all use prefabbed gifs and images and modify them a lot or a little... depends on what effect we want... :yesnod:

like you didn't draw the clarinet in your avy...

Actually, i did. I did all of it.

ok, but we're not all pixel-pushers... or taking credit for being 100% original work, right?

this tutorial is an "beginner's guide" not for experts :yesnod:

Bigred said:
using sprite sheets is cheating.
For an animation you can could your own, you need to make them yourself. Anyone can take a sprite sheet, animate it, and then call it their own. But that's not fair, because the actual artist did nearly all the work and you got credit for it.

For BEGINNERS, I suggest using a template because it is easier to make characters and you are doing most of the art.
*Wonders if his 2 year old nepthew can animate something*

We are not callin a sprite sheet our own meny people that make sprite sheets have ripped them from games and most say that we can use them
We do the work of animatein it

Like it says in the title "beginers guide" a beginer will not know how to make a sprite

If you dont like this guide

gtho4ch3.jpg

And make your own

No, you got it all wrong. It's not that I don't like the tutorial, its that your not encouraging the right path. I believe that a beginner should start out with a template instead of a pre-made sprite sheet because it is more challenging. Anyone can take a sprite sheet an animate it, but actually drawing your own is a much bigger accomplishment and sparks more "artistic interest". Also, it is something to be proud of because one puts time and effort into it. Honestly, it probably takes all of one minute (depending on # of frames) to make a sprite sheet into a .gif.

Edit: Just to prove that this is constructive criticism I highly recommend using this program:
http://www.download.com/Beneton-Movie-GIF/3000-2186_4-10566148.html?tag=lst-1
over Microsoft's one. Although it is more complex, it is way more powerful.

Last edited:
Bigred said:
I believe that a beginner should start out with a template instead of a pre-made sprite sheet because it is more challenging. Anyone can take a sprite sheet an animate it, but actually drawing your own is a much bigger accomplishment and sparks more "artistic interest". Also, it is something to be proud of because one puts time and effort into it. Honestly, it probably takes all of one minute (depending on # of frames) to make a sprite sheet into a .gif.

Edit: Just to prove that this is constructive criticism I highly recommend using this program:
http://www.download.com/Beneton-Movie-GIF/3000-2186_4-10566148.html?tag=lst-1
over Microsoft's one. Although it is more complex, it is way more powerful.

I say it again
A beginer wont want to make a sprite sheet right from the off

Not anyone can make one due to most people wont know where to start

How meny times have you seen some body take a sprite sheet and edit it ?

Darkprinny said:
I say it again
A beginer wont want to make a sprite sheet right from the off

Not anyone can make one due to most people wont know where to start

How meny times have you seen some body take a sprite sheet and edit it ?
I'm not saying start from scratch, I'm saying start with something like this:
http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=charoutlinemdraft4ip1.png

This is like a animation strip, however it is by no means completed. This allows a beginner to experiment with coloring. The first time they animate it, they could just use the paint bucket tool. However, because they would [hopefully] realize that solid colors look boring and would add more complex color to it.

Last edited:
Still
Most people whould be better off usein a sprite sheet to start with

Darkprinny said:
Still
Most people whould be better off usein a sprite sheet to start with
I just think people will get into the "pre-made strip loop" were they will just keep making pre-made ones instead of looking into their artistic ability. Recommending that they use a template is just a simple push in the right direction.

Not every one
I edited a few of my sprite sheets
I think a lot will as well when they find out the some sprites wont do some things

I give up, I don't get it, its too hard.

Back