Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234

225px-PLAYSTATION_3_logosvg.png

---------------------------
312765593_4ca56b88b7_m.jpg

---------------------------

Joystiq said:
Joystiq.png

The PS3 pricing structure is like a really wily monkey. You may think you have him, you've got your stun club and net all ready and then ... poof! He loses you, leaving behind only a monkey-shaped cloud of dust. In what appears to be its latest juke, the 80 GB version of the PS3 will apparently go closeout (read: no new shipments) at Best Buy stores, according to an internal memo sent to PS3 Fanboy.

What does this mean for the PS3 exactly? We've checked with our team of experts and are now able to report that we have absolutely no clue. It's worth noting that in Japan, the 20 and 60 GB SKUs of the system were dropped to focus all efforts on the 40GB model, but we don't know if that's what's happening here. The only facts now seem to be that something is up, and Sony's saying it's business as usual. We'll let you know when we hear more.

Click Here To See The Closeout Notice

The 60gb was discontinued late in 2007.Im not sure why sony is doing this i know alot of people buy ps3 to play ps3 games but I dont have a ps2 so i want to play ps2 games and you cant do that with the 40gb.But this is still a rumour so lets wait and see.(thank god i have a 80gb ps3 lol:lol: )

A lot of people suspect a PS3 price drop maybe with the white PS3. I just hope it is, because I'm buying one soon.

if they drop the 80gb version they better make 40gb bc or else some peeps are gonna get mad.
nd duz anyone know if the white ps3 is gonna be BC?

Big_League_Slugger said:
I think this is a rumor. Why would you get rid of the 80gb. Sure they did it with the 60gb but there was also the 80gb rumor at that time.

So far it's not a rumor. Sony has already discontinued the 80GB in Japan, and it shows there on the Best Buy notice, that they're no longer going to carry the 80GB version. But a friend of mine who works at a Best Buy says he'll check it out tomorrow when he gets to work to see if it's true.

My only understanding for why they would do this, is because the 40GB version has been outselling the 80GB version, which apparently tells them that the consumers don't care for BC (which isn't true), so they trash the 80GB and focus on the 40GB.. Which is already at a friendly price range for consumers.

Sony isn't making nearly enough money on the PS3, so they're quitting making the 80GB because they cost THEM more money to make, and it's not paying off. So they'll stick with the cheaper-to-produce PS3's which people can apparently actually stomach forking out money for.
I am deeply internally joyous that Sony is getting their balls roasted this time around. They needed this badly.

Transfixed said:
Sony isn't making nearly enough money on the PS3, so they're quitting making the 80GB because they cost THEM more money to make, and it's not paying off. So they'll stick with the cheaper-to-produce PS3's which people can apparently actually stomach forking out money for.
I am deeply internally joyous that Sony is getting their balls roasted this time around. They needed this badly.

It is pathetic but the cost of producing the 80 GB PS3 is $809 per unit, if they are selling it for $499, they are actually losing $310 per every unit sold. How Sony can survive?, well the PS2 sales are very good ($129) and games are still selling, so PS2 is financing the PS3 loss. Incredible but the truth

highroller said:
It is pathetic but the cost of producing the 80 GB PS3 is $809 per unit, if they are selling it for $499, they are actually losing $310 per every unit sold. How Sony can survive?, well the PS2 sales are very good ($129) and games are still selling, so PS2 is financing the PS3 loss. Incredible but the truth

Yeah, but they can't milk the PS2 forever, they're probably just going to wait until the PS2 sales have healed the wound enough from the losses of the PS3.

Back