Status
Not open for further replies.

Dav_4550

WiiChat Member
Jun 30, 2006
The Blackhole
Wii Online Code
7190-3324-3845-8331
Alright, I'm sure somebody else has thought about it, but wouldn't it be possible for the Wii to get a virus if it was on the internet 24/7 and had opera so it could be on the web. Do you think it's possible to get a virus onto the flash memory that messed up the system. And since Nintendo wants to encourage homebrew, couldn't someone, in theory, put a virus in a game so it was disguised? Just something I was thinking about...kind of a concern...but maybe not. :confused:

(by the way, no pun intended, it just happened :) )

Last edited:
I dont think it can have a virus, well the virus for windows, Macintosh and Linux have to be made for those systems, in this case the Wii needs to have a virus codified only for the wii, I think maybe the only viruses could be the publicity ones. Only those ones I think could really harm ur Wii are ones created by someone and sended to u (maybe he hates u or something)

Mmmm no but remember this system will have new and sofisticated internet = than PS3 (I think PS3 is for sure having viruses, because of its configuration)

Arcadium said:
Mmmm no but remember this system will have new and sofisticated internet = than PS3 (I think PS3 is for sure having viruses, because of its configuration)

Yeah, its going to be more like a computer now. So now (hopefully;) )it will get a lot of viruses to make it bomb sooner:D

Well you can get a virus on your phone
but its like apple macs and lunix there arnt meny virusis
its if theres some one evil enouth to do it

well, if there's money to be made in it, then a virus might appear...maybe one that figures out how to access the accounf that you use to pay for the VC games...if the VC requires a credit/check card it could get dangerous

Since it has internet connection, the Wii can potentially be infected with a virus. However, viruses are not normally designed to infect consoles.

well most of the pc viursies are made by microsoft and so is norton (why do you think it sells so well despite it not being very good)

Hey just stumbled across this, just though i should say, It is very unlikely that the wii could get a virus, i believe it run Linux (Nintendo linux distro built on the linux kernel), there are only about 30 known viruses for linux and a few only run on red hat, it is fairly unlikely you will come across them using the wii, also using the opera web browser on the wii, you can not download and run any programs and there is no way for a viruses to get in because most linux distos dnt have any open port / backdoors, all the applications on the shopping channel etc, and games must have some where along the line been approved by Nintendo, and if a virus that could affect the wii was out in the wild im sure Nintendo would find out fairly soon about it and make a patch to stop it, so when you system up data its fine. lol (ps. Viruses that run on Windows aren't made by Microsoft lol)

Check the date before you bump up a VERY OLD thread.

Hey just stumbled across this, just though i should say, It is very unlikely that the wii could get a virus, i believe it run Linux (Nintendo linux distro built on the linux kernel), there are only about 30 known viruses for linux and a few only run on red hat, it is fairly unlikely you will come across them using the wii, also using the opera web browser on the wii, you can not download and run any programs and there is no way for a viruses to get in because most linux distos dnt have any open port / backdoors, all the applications on the shopping channel etc, and games must have some where along the line been approved by Nintendo, and if a virus that could affect the wii was out in the wild im sure Nintendo would find out fairly soon about it and make a patch to stop it, so when you system up data its fine. lol (ps. Viruses that run on Windows aren't made by Microsoft lol)

Dumb ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back