Change the language on my Japanese Wii to English?

Farowe said:
wiiked ,theres a little hard way to change, if you manage to buy a multiple region chip for the wii and install, you could change to all the languaje now the only problem is installing it or getting it.
I have a japanese wii which has the chip - do you know how i can change the language?

Hi, i was wondering whether this worked for you in the end, only my wii is in
japenese and I am unable to access the language screen which people had suggested to you, any ideas?

I have a Japanese moded version of Wii and I see the games in English. I figured out the menus by downloading English manuals and yes a lot of trial and error. I'm having problems however accessing the settings menu. An error page comes out saying I can't access a web page with Opera software with a Japanese web site link on the page. Does anybody have the same problem?

Hah

Just recently bought the Umbrella Chronicals... like a proper legit version from a store, but because I have a Jap Wii the text appears in Japanese.
I took it back thinking there may have been a fault but the guys there were baffled and put it down to my console being foreign.
So, just to clarify... there's no solution to the seeming, 'set in stone', language for us Jap Wii owners?
I read about extra chips or patches that could be added to alter it, have I read complete bull or am I on to something?

Ashleigh
xxx

rommelt69 said:
I have a Japanese moded version of Wii and I see the games in English. I figured out the menus by downloading English manuals and yes a lot of trial and error. I'm having problems however accessing the settings menu. An error page comes out saying I can't access a web page with Opera software with a Japanese web site link on the page. Does anybody have the same problem?

this is exactly the same that i get when i try to goto the settings page ...

English translation for Japanese wii menu

I've just spent the last hour or so trying to find info about "wii" because I want to buy one but I too live in Japan and while my Japanese isn't bad orally and basic reading writing wise, Kanji... come on. :wtf:
I did find this handy site though that has a pdf version of the wii menu-walkthrough.
http://www.play-gadgets.com/2007/05/27/english-translation-for-your-japanese-nintendo-wii/

Really want to get it in English though, Anyone with the Japanese version, is it really worth the hassle to get an English version shipped here? Just your opinion please.

Hello all, I am also in Japan and have a Japanese Wii but of course I understand and read Japanese. This thread seemed very interesting, especially reading about so many who bought a Japanese Wii but did not know how to use it or read Japanese. I think everyone knows by now but the Japanese Wii does not have a language change option. Also, games will of course be completely in Japanese and you cannot play games in English without breaking the Wii and modding it. How come so many were interested in buying a Japanese Wii if they were not sure they could play it? Seems to be a waste of time or money as well as plenty of headaches :crazy: . To the above poster, I would recommend importing a Wii if you cannot understand Japanese so you can enjoy the games completely. The problem is that as of now there is a large Wii shortage almost everywhere in the world but Japan so you might have to wait a while for a good price.

Also as a cool piece of information, some game companies are beginning to package and release dual language versions of games here in Japan. For example the latest Japanese game 逆転裁判 (Ace Attorney overseas) for the Nintendo DS comes with the Japanese and English version.

Just to clariy the earlier posted e-mail from Nintendo, it simply says Japanese Wii consoles are made for sale and use in Japan and therefore menus are only displayed in Japanese. ユーソーセクシ様 is the original sender`s name. I'm not sure what nationality the name Yuusousekushi is though :lol: .

I found it.............J to U/E/T/K/..etc

I found the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I converted it to english but it has its side effects:
1.You can't access settings.
2.You can't update.

And good effects:
1.You can undo.
2.You can fix semibrick with it and update and do anything.

Needed things:
SD Card 16/32 FAT Formatted
Dop-mii vX(X=any)
NUS Downloader
Anyregion Changer

Step1.Install HBC channel on your wii(Check google "How to completely softmod your wii" &"how to install homebrew channel no Zelda" :
http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/hacking-guide/the-basics

The above link Gives you full softmod and HBC installation.

Step2.get Any region changer for your homebrew.
step3.Download "NUS Downloader".
Step4.Downgrade your wii to 3.2J(J=Japan) (It is written on the above site how to upgrade......you just act like your upgrading but instead of choosing 4.1/4.2 choose 3.2 so you UnUpgrade)
step5.Next open the homebrew application Any Region Changer.
Wait till Press "1" Appears.

Check if you are 3.2 if not downgrade/upgrade to 3.2J

Step6.Change the first Thing "Language" to "English"
Step7.Change The "Area" to USA/Europe.(Note if a red warning shows up it means that this causes temporary semi-brick and can be fixed by undoing this.
Step8.Change anything You want before the Word "SAVE"
step9.Press "A" On save.

Scroll Down and reboot.
Congrats.
If you need the settings switch back.
If you need to understand .Keep on English
:):wink:

NOTE:Language changes Language in games and When Pressing HOME button and Errors.And does NOT Cause Semi-Brick.

Last edited:
You don't need to downgrade the firmware. You just need to softmod and then use AnyRegion Changer. However, there may be other problem when you use ARC. On the other hand, there are many Korean Wii got modded into Japanese or US version as the Korean version is much cheaper. You will brick these machine (err003) if you update the system. Avoid that in all cost.

You don't need to downgrade the firmware. You just need to softmod and then use AnyRegion Changer. However, there may be other problem when you use ARC. On the other hand, there are many Korean Wii got modded into Japanese or US version as the Korean version is much cheaper. You will brick these machine (err003) if you update the system. Avoid that in all cost.

I meant to make them downgrade so that they can escape the semi-brick

Now Their is a new way to Convert J to U/E/K without semi brick!!!!!
you need to read the above steps first (Previous Post)
Step1 Change in Any Region Changer Everything Japan/J to U/K/E. Except DVD REgion(2nd option).(If you made it other than J only Backup games work.) (You should change this if you get PAL/USA/K Games so change it to the disc youre playing/or use NeoGamma Channel.
Step2 Upgrade to the version you chose:
U Usystemmenu
E Esystemmenu
K Ksystemmenu

"Note:You need to download it with NUSD(NUS Downloader)"

Reviews:
Tested on J wii baught in 2006 and worked,2007,2008,all showed Great results.

Update:29-Sep-2010

Last edited:
Farowe said:
wiiked ,theres a little hard way to change, if you manage to buy a multiple region chip for the wii and install, you could change to all the languaje now the only problem is installing it or getting it.
I have a japanese wii which has the chip - do you know how i can change the language?

We've Done it Yasterday. Found at 2007

Or since you live there you can be brave and try to learn the language. Take some how to read japaneese classes and then no need to modify anything. It will be like second nature after a while.

2011 - still no solution from Nintendo

We were given a Wii for Xmas. My Japanese husband just called the Wii consumer help line in Japan and still the same response. They told us that there is no English menu or manual. Even when we asked if they could provide a link to an English manual or if we could purchase one from overseas Nintendo told us that overseas manuals are not compatible with Japanese Wii and there is no English help for the menu available. The person we spoke to couldn't give us any solution and couldn't get us off the phone quick enough.

Then we found this site with complaints from 2007. Shocking. My husband is going to write them an email with all of our complaints and link to this forum.

Will let you know what response we get from Nintendo.

Back