Co-op does not equal multiplayer

Atomheart

M'bating to Z Suit Samus
Jul 30, 2007
WI
Multiplayer does not equal co-op...

This is something that has been bugging me. A lot of people on this forum seem to think that the term co-op (cooperative) is synomymous/interchangable for the term multiplayer.

This is not the case. Co-op is simply one type of multiplayer, in which the two (or more) players play cooperatively/collaboratively. In other words, the players are not competing against one another.

Multiplayer games in which two or more players are competing against each other in some way (e.g., fighting against each other, killing each other, playing a sport against each other) are NOT co-op games. They are simply multiplayer games.

That being said, most games that have multiplayer portions contain multiplayer portions that are not co-op.

End public service announcement.

Last edited:
Actually not to be picky but multi player by its very definition means more than one player... therefore co-op IS multi player. I for one prefer playing with rather than against. sorry yours is an opinion... mine is fact baby!

I never saw Co-op as multiplayer. It was basically an extension of single player that allows a 2nd person to jump in. I see multiplayer as online, ive seen it this way since I was 12 years old playing Multiplayer games on the internet. Its either, Single player, 2 players or multiplayer. Of course Multiplayer actual definition means 2 or more players. But thats not what the average gamer sees it as. Unless of course you're not used to online. So basically if you tell a PC gamer, PS3 gamer, or Xbox gamer a game as Multiplayer, they're thinking Online mode. Thats why they still ask "I know the game has multiplayer, but does it have co-op mode?"

You know, I think words, and perceptions of them, are funny. When I see co-op, I think of my husband sitting next to me playing the game with me (cooperatively or competitively); something I look forward to. When I see multi-player, I think online; something that doesn't interest me as much.

See um, you're going by definition, everyone knows by definition what it means. But that isnt always what people mean when they say Multiplayer. Just like if someone says they raped you. Doesnt mean he actually bent you over...

Atomheart said:
This is not the case. Co-op is simply one type of multiplayer..

umm...do i need to comment here? thi is a pretty self explainatory quote XD

Good try atomheart...good try...

All multi-player means is that it has multiple players.

You know? Multiple Players?
El Moreo Thano Numero Uno~?
El comprendo~?

I'm ashamed to share the first 4 letters of your name! Are we family? Am I part of your family? I secede!~!

Seriously the interpretation of Multiplayer is debatable, but in reality it means playing a game with more than just yourself. It doesn't have to be against each other for it to be multiplayer, but you guys believe what you want.

Everyone knows Multiplayer means more than one player. Doesnt matter whether its offline, online, or even a damn board game. Its just that when people hear Multiplayer, they think of online. Maybe not Wii players because they dont have a big Online community, but Xbox players and PC players sure as hell do.

Warrior said:
umm...do i need to comment here? thi is a pretty self explainatory quote XD

Good try atomheart...good try...

What?

Anyway, my comments are directed at the people that use co-op and multiplayer as interchangable, synonymous terms. They use co-op to refer to all multiplayer modes, including competitive modes (check out that recent Soul Calibur Legends review thread).

T3kNi9e said:
Everyone knows Multiplayer means more than one player. Doesnt matter whether its offline, online, or even a damn board game. Its just that when people hear Multiplayer, they think of online. Maybe not Wii players because they dont have a big Online community, but Xbox players and PC players sure as hell do.

Or maybe you're referring to 10 year olds who are just getting into games during this new online phenomenon.

There were plenty multiplayer games (as in competitive, not cooperative) prior to online gaming.

Back