Component cables make Wii unplayable (too bright)

bigtymer

WiiChat Member
Feb 14, 2007
I just got my Component cables in the mail (3rd party, ordered online) and I set them up correctly, I checked for about 10 minutes, and my problem is this... They are pretty nice 3rd party ones, look pretty much the same as the Intec ones except these have a white mesh sleeve and gold plated connectors.

Everything is super bright on the Wii Menu. I mean, it's so bright that it is hard to see everything, the fine lines are almost washed out.

I googled this issue and found 2 posts on this very board:

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-hardware/10791-screen-too-bright-component-cables.html

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-hardware/12660-component-cable-too-bright.html

---

Now I am going to try to get a refund for the cables and want to know if I will have any luck with another brand of cables (either Nintendo or other 3rd party, ie Intec/Mad Catz) I'd hate to buy another set of cables and then find out that they are worthless too.

If not, then perhaps this is just a weird glitch with the Wii on certain TV's? I'm using a 40" Polaroid 720P HDTV LCD... Any help would be appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone had solved this issue or determined why many people are having this problem.

Thanks for your help.

I have the Nintendo component cables and they work well with no brightness issues like you are experiencing. I don't know much about cables and their affect on TVs, so it could be the TV or the cables. I'd try the Nintendo cables though, they work great.

Nah, I have an Xbox 360 hooked up and it looks great, plus the Wii looks fine with the included standard composite cables (although not as crisp as 480P would be)

Well, I just went out and bought a set of the Intec cables for 20 bucks at Circuit City (which I've seen have gotten decent reviews) and they do the same thing. I would've tried the Nintendo cables but they are sold out everywhere. Even if I mess around with the contrast/brightness on my TV it simply doesn't look right. I'm beginning to think this is a problem that is inherent to the Wii on certain televisions.

Any other ideas? Has anyone with this problem figured a workaround to fix this issue?

Just component. But that's enough considering its max output is 480p.

As for the brightness thing, try adjusting the brightness on your tv. Aside from that, I can't help you since I've never had this problem. Good luck!

480p is nothing, thats like svideo

720p or i is standard hd

1080i is HDMI High Def minimum for best quality...

damn, is that all the output power it has? wonder if there will be anything comin out for users who dished out money for an hd tv

Rebelj12a said:
480p is nothing, thats like svideo

720p or i is standard hd

1080i is HDMI High Def minimum for best quality...

damn, is that all the output power it has? wonder if there will be anything comin out for users who dished out money for an hd tv

S-video is 480i/576i max...480P is a significant step up.Also there is no such thing as 720i...only 720p and it's not "standard" HD...it's HD. HDMI can carry any resolution from 480i to 1080p...not just 1080i.

ok so we've established you know how to use wiki ok then...

neways, im saying 720p is standard because its not the best

and yeah HDMI can carry 420p to 1080p which doesnt matter because the component cables discussed here can carry 420p just the same... regardless of that my issue is and question is... is that all the wii has? does it even have the power 1080p HDMI cable output?

Last edited:
I bought Offical Component cables and when I realised the Wii was on a different channel than before the ppicture was fine, alot crisper and more defined.

I set my back light to 30% and the rest is about 50% and all is fine.

By officail is all I can say.

most newish tv's have separate brightness etc controls for the different inputs on the tv, so while the brightness is set for composite it might not be set correctly for component. a cable is just a cable the difference between the cheapest and the most expensive will be very minor

Yeah, just check your actual TV settings.

If you dunno how, just look up your TV online and look at the manual. Lowering black level and contrast should do the trick.

Back