Component Cable too bright?

Phalanx

WiiChat Member
Jan 3, 2007
Hi guys, i've just bought a wii with a component cable, when using the normal composite cable, everything is fine. When I use the component cable, everything is in all its sharp splendor except for one thing.

It's ridiculously bright, even if I turn the brightness and contrast down completely on my TV, I still have to squint to make out the square tiles on the Mii Channel (the ones on the floor).

I've looked around the options screen and I can't seem to find anything that might fix this.

Could I have bought a faulty component cable or something?

Here's pictures to show the problem

img0386ab2.jpg

and then component:

img0385bw7.jpg

can you see how all the definition in the individual channel frames has gone in the second one? I didn't change screen settings for the tv either

Last edited:
You might want to try adjusting your contrast, as well. Contrast is the setting that determines the difference between light and dark images on the screen.

Since using component cables is a different input on the TV from the composite cables, it is very likely that both inputs do not have the same display settings (brightness, contrast, tint, color, possibly more depending on your television). A good test would be to go to another input, such as your television input or another device on composite and writing down the numbers that your display has for those values, and then adjusting the component input to match. You'll want to pick the positions that give the best picture, but those will be a good guideline.

i've tried to configure the brightness and contrast for the TV, it's almost as if the Wii wants too look like how it does when a component cable is plugged in.

I'll give it another go but I haven't had any luck and i've been fiddling with the screen settings for 20 minutes now

I am starting to wonder if its your cable, if its sharpness is there it may be something with the cable.

honestly just my opinion though. Getting my cables this weekend.

wiifreek said:
I am starting to wonder if its your cable, if its sharpness is there it may be something with the cable.
I very much doubt it could be the cable.

I'm not able to find much information about the television, I was trying to find out if other uses had posted optimal brightness/contrast/tint/color levels for their sets. Does your remote have a "picture" button that cycles through settings like "Movie", "Custom", "Normal", or similar? Try pushing one of those presets.

tighr said:
I very much doubt it could be the cable.

I'm not able to find much information about the television, I was trying to find out if other uses had posted optimal brightness/contrast/tint/color levels for their sets. Does your remote have a "picture" button that cycles through settings like "Movie", "Custom", "Normal", or similar? Try pushing one of those presets.

i've tried them all, no difference.

I started trying out Zelda, in Zelda, I can get a very unbright and almost perfect picture so i'm starting to think this may be a problem with the nintendo wii menu, i'll do a bit more testing to clarify this.

nope, the is a brightness problem in Zelda and Wii sports as well.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same problem. It's been driving me nuts for days now, its a relief to know I'm not the only one. My 360 via component does not suffer this problem, so I too assume that its a Wii issue.

My tv is a 32" Technosonic LCD3251 if that is of any use.

Last edited:
1) Check to see if your Wii is set to 480P.

2) Reset all settings on your TV.

3) Make sure your TV accepts 480P signal.

4) Check you cables for bends and bad connecters.

5) Return the ones you got and get new ones.

Back