Component HD AV Cable

Trippe2k said:
Watch this video link right below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6umnBY8Eq_k

It shows the difference and its worth it in my opinion, I played Zelda about half way through and was sick of ( in game ) night time because everything was blurry and it was hard to see. once i got the cables not only was i able to see but i it was fun to play the game at ( in game) night time. It makes things off in the distance clearer and allows you to see whats what. Composite sends all the colors to your tv at once often blending them together or losing some definition in the process. Component send all three main colors seperately so the Tv knows better what colors go where. Its just a cleaner fuller image over all, and i often think games like Zelda were designed with the designers using component cables while testing, cause there really is that much of a difference for some games, in my opinion.
Yes, it is worth it, but it does show the flaws in some games, well, not really flaws, but you can see that Nintendo cares more about gameplay than graphics

Component send all three main colors seperately so the Tv knows better what colors go where
If you mean that each cable transmitts different colors (e.g. red cable transmitts red, green cable transmitts green, blue cable transmitts blue), you are incorrect, I forgot the exact data, but one cable transmitts the video (in black & white), and one transmitts negative something, and the last one transmitts positive or negitive something, that is why if you plug in one cable, either you get black & white video or you get a blank screen, if the cables were transmitting their corrosponding colors, if you were to plug in the blue cable, you would get a blue image on screen, if you were to plug in red, you would get a red image, but that dosen't happen though

Your eyes can see only three colors—red, green, and blue. All of the other colors and shades of the spectrum you perceive are the result of your brain interpreting the mix of red, green, and blue signals coming from your eyes.

Therefore, since your eyes only see red, green, and blue, a video system needs to capture and reproduce only red, green, and blue, or RGB as it's called. The camera must capture RGB on the front end. That information must be delivered accurately to your television or projector which must display RGB. By varying the intensity of red, green, and blue, every color of the spectrum can be reproduced. Voila. Perfectly natural color on your screen.

Component video consists of three signals. The first is the luminance signal, which indicates brightness or black & white information that is contained in the original RGB signal. It is referred to as the "Y" component. The second and third signals are called "color difference" signals which indicate how much blue and red there is relative to luminance. The blue component is "B-Y" and the red component is "R-Y". The color difference signals are mathematical derivatives of the RGB signal.

sorry thats what i ment to say

read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Last edited:
Trippe2k said:
Your eyes can see only three colors—red, green, and blue. All of the other colors and shades of the spectrum you perceive are the result of your brain interpreting the mix of red, green, and blue signals coming from your eyes.

Therefore, since your eyes only see red, green, and blue, a video system needs to capture and reproduce only red, green, and blue, or RGB as it's called. The camera must capture RGB on the front end. That information must be delivered accurately to your television or projector which must display RGB. By varying the intensity of red, green, and blue, every color of the spectrum can be reproduced. Voila. Perfectly natural color on your screen.

Component video consists of three signals. The first is the luminance signal, which indicates brightness or black & white information that is contained in the original RGB signal. It is referred to as the "Y" component. The second and third signals are called "color difference" signals which indicate how much blue and red there is relative to luminance. The blue component is "B-Y" and the red component is "R-Y". The color difference signals are mathematical derivatives of the RGB signal.

sorry thats what i ment to say

read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video
I read that link, yes, human eyes only see RGB, and yes, on some projectors, etc, the colors are separated in RGB, but like I explained, if it were RGB that were transmitted in the 3 cables, each one would only show it's corrosponding color, for example, blue labeled connection would only show the blue color, red only red, green only green, but if that were to be true, how come if only one cable is plugged in, only a black & white image shows up or no image shows up?, so it opviously can't have to do with each individual color

now what you are explaining is the primary colors RGB, that when mixed correctly, can make every color, and that is how CRT projectors work, and I believe that is how they got the color codes for componet, I think that is what they want you to think, but is not exactly true, you can try it out yourself if you wish, I wouldn't of figured it out myself if I weren't to mess around with the cables myself
Sorry, just read this part, yes, that is what I was trying to explain, the word I was looking for was luminance, thanks

Last edited:
Trippe2k said:

Thats how it works, i was just explaining how humans can only see RGB, there used to be RGB cables that were the main usage and i mixed up my info with that the first time i posted. Please read what i write as a whole. I was explaining where i made the mistake and what the truth was. Thank you

Trippe2k said:
Thats how it works, i was just explaining how humans can only see RGB, there used to be RGB cables that were the main usage and i mixed up my info with that the first time i posted. Please read what i write as a whole. I was explaining where i made the mistake and what the truth was. Thank you
ok, thanks

Just a quick point about component cables.. .. .. ..

Some of the VC titles are not compatible with them. In the UK at least. SMW being a prime example.

So if you do buy them, use them for the visual beauty of new games, but keep your existing cables for VC titles.

Right now, you'll only get marginal benefits. You get better contrast, better colors, however, due to the lack of edge smoothing in any of the games (they rely on the poor quality of standard AV cable to do the smoothing), when you have component cable, you will see some jaggies.

Hopefully, future games will have better rendering engine. So I think a component cable is worth the investment, and doesn't matter which brand you get, as long as it's well made, since 480P is no way near the limit of these cables.

Back