Consoles to “die out” in the next 5 to 10 years

I disagree with the guy. Nintendo has proven(again and again) people want games. Other features are nice, and some are essential in the future. Such as chat rooms. But overall game systems will continue to exist. We are 20-30 years away from reaching the graphics limit, probably longer. Downloadable games are the future; but consoles are still going to continue to upgrade, and change as much as computers.

This guy in short is a retard. Now I feel bad for picking on him.

sagema said:
I disagree with the guy. Nintendo has proven(again and again) people want games. Other features are nice, and some are essential in the future. Such as chat rooms. But overall game systems will continue to exist. We are 20-30 years away from reaching the graphics limit, probably longer. Downloadable games are the future; but consoles are still going to continue to upgrade, and change as much as computers.

This guy in short is a retard. Now I feel bad for picking on him.

Amen brother!!

Birdmaster said:
They will die in less than 5 years remember the end of the world is 2012:lol:

Ya, not a believer of the doomsday crap. Remember 1999? Hah! LAUGHED at all the people in their basements! (As if that would do anything if the world WAS going to end.)

FR. said:
Seeing the way the gaming industry is now, I can't see it "die out" in the next 5 - 10 years. I don't see why companies would want to end their line of consoles when they are making bucket loads of money off of them.
The whole industry is a goldmine.
they are lucky to break even between marketing, producing, and distributing them. usually companys dont see a profit until the last year or two of the consoles life.

Exactly, that goes for just about everthing tech related today. Phones/Mp3's/Laptops/PC's/DVD/Video game consoles. For the most part electronics is not really a profitable buisness to be in unless you make money of things attached to it such as movies, games, updates, attachments ect. ect. The cost doesn't come down on making these items untill just before the next update comes out and then your back in the vicious circle.

You toss the high end technology out on the market to get the consumers in and then rely on them purchasing things for the device in order to make your money back and hopefully a profit.risky buisness to say the least.

This isn't about games going away or the concept of a console going away. This is about things being joined as one large unit because of the cost to develop them and the savings involved with this.

Your new mobile device will be a Cell phone/PDA/Digital camera/handheld game/Mp3 player ect. ect. all in one.

Same for your home entertainment your DVD/Cable,Satelite/Game Console/Stereo/Surround sound can all be cram packed into one box. The software can be updated quickly and eaisly without you even knowing, and everything you need to buy for such a devices will be right at your finger tips to download for a fraction of the cost. There will still be plenty of different companies making these "all in one" devices, but they will be universal for the most part with maybe some exclusive content to draw in customers much like with consoles today. Beyond that you would just go buy a new device to meet the specs you want at the time. Simple concept and it is deffinately the direction we are heading so far.

they are making a xbox 720 (360 + 360)
and i read somewhere nintendo is making a secend wii
and the playstation 4 will be made i read a while ago

PrinceLink said:
Consoles will be here as long as gaming is here, also the guy in the article said that handhelds will go away and that i can beilve becuase it could just translate into cell phones but consoles NO WAY!

Well G4 attck of the show said in a article that if the internet keeps expanding at the current rate it will run out of bandwith by the year 2015 but im sure there think of something

You're kinda missing the point. Imagine if sony came out with a new TV that had a PS3/Blu-Ray Player built in? It'd be a hit. Now imagine if you could use your cable service to buy games online and download them directly to your TV's harddrive. All of a sudden you've got a TV, a PS3, and access to every game out there without leaving your couch all in one package. It's kinda like that.

The point is rather than having all these different electronic devices it'll all just be built into one universal device for user convenience.

wezeles said:
This isn't about games going away or the concept of a console going away. This is about things being joined as one large unit because of the cost to develop them and the savings involved with this.

Your new mobile device will be a Cell phone/PDA/Digital camera/handheld game/Mp3 player ect. ect. all in one.

Same for your home entertainment your DVD/Cable,Satelite/Game Console/Stereo/Surround sound can all be cram packed into one box. The software can be updated quickly and eaisly without you even knowing, and everything you need to buy for such a devices will be right at your finger tips to download for a fraction of the cost. There will still be plenty of different companies making these "all in one" devices, but they will be universal for the most part with maybe some exclusive content to draw in customers much like with consoles today. Beyond that you would just go buy a new device to meet the specs you want at the time. Simple concept and it is deffinately the direction we are heading so far.

+1, for those who disagree, please read wezeles' comment again. Using "die out" is a bit of a misnomer, the term "evolution" is more appropriate. As wezeles mentioned, this direction of an "all in one" for tech stuff is happening everywhere. Even for enterprise software like Oracle and IBM DB2 z/OS (where I work) :). IMO version 1.0 is happening right now with the current gen of consoles, e.g. internet browsers, downloadable content, DVD player, etc. The next gen of consoles, most likely Sony and MS, will integrate even more functions into one piece of hardware. Before you know it the next gen Xbox will also have a DVR and smell-o-vision :).

Last edited:
mgbl3 said:
You're kinda missing the point. Imagine if sony came out with a new TV that had a PS3/Blu-Ray Player built in? It'd be a hit. Now imagine if you could use your cable service to buy games online and download them directly to your TV's harddrive. All of a sudden you've got a TV, a PS3, and access to every game out there without leaving your couch all in one package. It's kinda like that.

The point is rather than having all these different electronic devices it'll all just be built into one universal device for user convenience.

Thats exactly what I personally do not want. I like having a collection games, it feels like I own them that way. Also most things that are digitally downloaded cannot be transferred because it uses a liceanse in your product to prevent duplication. Someone had this problem with their xbox, they got a new one and they could not play their arcade games on it and had to hassle MS to give him the license to play his game. Apparently it took like a month to do it.

If there is no type of license restriction, then imagine how many people will transfer these files onto computers and put them up to be downloaded via torrents.

Having downloadable games just isn't as safe as having your own copy. With your own copy you can touch it, smell it, see it, play it. You have the reassurance that it is yours to own, if we "evolve" and get downloadable games then they arent as safe.

People like having that reassurance and I know I for one like looking/reading the game case on the way home from the store.

How is it not as safe? As with the VC/Arcade games you can link them to your own account, if anything happens to your console you can re-download your games that you arelady purchased if you have proof you purchased them. The transferability will change in time when you have console not so eaisly hacked.

Most consumers are going to have an issue with loosing the physical media format, they are so use to seeing the physical library of movies and games they collected, but the outcry will be short and most wont even notice the transition untill its alreayd done.
I know I will be a little disapointed. Now I can show off my large library of games and many console I have collected over the years. But honestly it would be much eaiser if all of them where in on one "box" and they all could use random controllers to suit each players needs.

The thing is you will do this without even noticing. Look at Mp3 players, people got upset that cd's didnt sell yet they still dont sell and everyone buys mp3's instead. When was the last time you bought a CD? If you have a music player made in the last 5 years you probably havent bought a CD, ha ha even car CD players are setup to play Mp3's now.

Same goes for movies, I use to buy a new VHS/DVD every couple weeks. I have a decent size library of movies but all of them now have been stored onto my DVR, I bust them out simply to lend them to a friend or to take to a bedroom on rare occasions, "that will even be gone soon when i finnish my wireless media network linking my computer,DVR to all the t.v's" Sure thats ahead of the time but its things you can purchase now and the direction its going. Blu-ray and HDDVD are going to just get us by, and they are not going to sell nearly as well as their predicessors. It's a transition format, honestly you can download and even burn HD movies for a fraction of the cost of a Blu-ray disk. I do it all the time, I'm not even gonna bother with Blu-ray untill I pick up a PS3, even then I'm not going to buy a Blu-ray movie unless it's cheep.

You will notice it when good games hit Xbox arcade and Wii-ware. You say now you don't like the idea of download only games, but when that is what is offered that is what you will take and you won't even think twice about it it will just slowly change the way you do things. Most likely things like games/movies/music will still be transferable in the future. Something like a SD card will be used so you can play at your buddies house, but they will still used a link download method, and you will be able to play but not store the information unless they also pay to download it. It's not that physical media itself will be gone. It's just that it wont be used unless its acctually needed. Unlike today where we use physicall media in places it is not required at all, like in our homes.

Last edited:
I don't think they'll die out so much as the original idea of them will. I'm sure they'll be ported into just being a full package computer, entertainment system, plug into your huge TV type thing.

There's not a whole lot left that one can do with consoles to make them exciting so I see that as the next logical step (a fully integrated system).

anyone think of hacks, thats 1 reason why console gaming, mostly xbox with xbl is so big. but no consoles wont die, after next gen, i dont really see graphics getting any better but they wont die.

maybe in 10 years we will see the last gen, or consoles as there is no point in improving them but they wont die

Back