Current Gen war who's the winner

...Well, to be honest I was expecting a fight to break out...
...Most of the games on the list I didn't really like/get into/wasn't only for PS2. But by the same token, I stand by Haku's non-love of Halo. In what way was it innovative?

In my opinion (since it is based on opinion), Final Fantasy X was a success. It was enjoyable, the storylines for any Final Fantasy game is NOT predictable (only elements within the storyline - for example a member of the main party getting killed/almost getting killed, or the male + female protag gets together etc...). I liked the Turn-based system of this RPG.

Skin, is that the lead singer from Rage against the machine? Nice to see forum members actually having good taste in music! :D

Lord Haku said:
Well I help you out with some franchies fanboys forgive for this?

Grandia II and Granida III
Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy 12
Jak and Deckter
Sly Cooper
Ace Combat
Guitar Hero
Star Wars Battlefront
Diesga 1 and 2
Ateiler Iris
Arc the Lad
Burnout
Crash Bandicoot
Metal Gear Series
RPG Maker
DBZ Budokai 3 and Tenkaichi
FF IV Dirge of Cerebus
Star Ocean Till the end of time
Gladius
God of War 1 and 2(coming soon)
Karakoe Dance Revoution
Kessen
Dynast Warrios
Sudoiken 3 and 4
Star Wars StarFighter
Tekken

That is all the games I can ride do to time and lack of patience see if you find any familar faces :D

I own 90% of the games on this list. I have to say that Playstation has the best RPG games by far, everyone I have that are on this list are Gems

One thing, You forgot "Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, La Pucele Tactics, Samurai Legend Musashi and Valkyrie Pofile 2.

Squall7 said:
In what way was it innovative?

Umm...

sKin said:
But thats not why it was sooo innovative! Never in an FPS had there been amazing graphics, STUNNING music, an awesome storyline with a huge twist, the ability to ride any vehicle you choose, kick-ass multiplayer, and fluid gameplay with controls that matched it perfectly. What Halo did to FPS's was nowhere near what Final Fantasy did to RPGS - Halo's on another level in that matter.

Skin, is that the lead singer from Rage against the machine? Nice to see forum members actually having good taste in music! :D

Yep. Zach De La Rocha is my god :D

Xbox was the winner for me; I got your back, sKin.:D I think I liked it so much because I enjoy games that were released for all consoles and the Xbox version was always top notch when it came to graphics, controls (because it had the best controller), sound (5.1 in almost every game), and features, like Xbox Live play (Xbox Live IS the best online system IMO) and custom soundtracks.

Halo was, like sKin said, an outstanding game because it felt so massive and it blended action with reconasance with truly creepy periods, like the Flood encounter.

Project Gotham is so realistic and yet fun, it's difficult to put it down because you want to make that drift last that much longer.

Oddworld: Munch's Oddsyee and especially Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath were quite unique and earthy, which is rare in a videogame. They were actually a bit political, as the missions involved saving what were essentially enslaved animals from cruel physical tests.

Ninja Gaiden, once you get the hang of it, is really exciting, challenging and enjoyable and does something that I've noticed all the games I mentioned did: they make me, the gamer, feel cool and while that may seem simple, it's a great feeling.

Having said all that, I recently was given a PS2 and some of it's games, like Rez, Katamari Damacy, Shadow of the Colossus, and Jak3 are great in their own way, but Xbox's combination of great first party and best-done multiplatform games give it the edge for me.

Last edited:
NateTheGreat said:
Halo was, like sKin said, an outstanding game because it felt so massive and it blended action with reconasance with truly creepy periods, like the Flood encounter.

EXACTLY! I didn't know how to put the awesomeness of Halo into words, but you definately did it justice. It felt so... real; as if there was an actual Halo, and as if you were actually fighting to survive off of it. Amazing amazing game.

...but Xbox's combination of great first party and best-done multiplatform games give it the edge for me.

I agree with you 100% :)

sKin said:
Originally Posted by sKin
But thats not why it was sooo innovative! Never in an FPS had there been amazing graphics, STUNNING music, an awesome storyline with a huge twist, the ability to ride any vehicle you choose, kick-ass multiplayer, and fluid gameplay with controls that matched it perfectly. What Halo did to FPS's was nowhere near what Final Fantasy did to RPGS - Halo's on another level in that matter.
Well, to be fair, half of those attributes can be adopted to Perfect Dark. Okay, so the graphics aren't great now, but they were pretty good at the time. Likewise, the music of Perfect Dark was pretty cool. The storyline was quite good, playing as a female secret agent (for once) against not only corporations, but aliens too. Ok, so it didn't really have a HUGE twist, but it was still really good, with the different selections of missions (like going from inner-city area of Chicago to Area 51). You can very much ride on Perfect Dark, the hover bike was pretty cool. And then the multiplayer was to die for! And the controls were the same as Goldeneye - which is a bonus, cos most of the people who would be interested in Perfect Dark would be Goldeneye players = next to no learning curve. And the different personalities for the bots were pure genius! *accidentally kills a venge sim on my side and get's chased around and repeatidly killed by it, despite the fact that I would severely lose points*. Classic gaming there...

And lets not forget that Perfect Dark introduced some of the best weapons, like the Laptop gun (doubles up as a sentry gun), the RCP-120 (cloaking device) and the Dragon (proximity explosion). The Slayer (fly by wire goodness) and MCP (memory lock-on). In terms of how innovative Halo is, I don't think it did quite as much for FPS as Perfect Dark did.

...All this is making me nostalgic. *get's out N64 and Perfect Dark*

Last edited:
Squall7 said:
Well, to be fair, half of those attributes can be adopted to Perfect Dark. Okay, so the graphics aren't great now, but they were pretty good at the time. Likewise, the music of Perfect Dark was pretty cool. The storyline was quite good, playing as a female secret agent (for once) against not only corporations, but aliens too. Ok, so it didn't really have a HUGE twist, but it was still really good, with the different selections of missions (like going from inner-city area of Chicago to Area 51). You can very much ride on Perfect Dark, the hover bike was pretty cool. And then the multiplayer was to die for! And the controls were the same as Goldeneye - which is a bonus, cos most of the people who would be interested in Perfect Dark would be Goldeneye players = next to no learning curve. And the different personalities for the bots were pure genius! *accidentally kills a venge sim on my side and get's chased around and repeatidly killed by it, despite the fact that I would severely lose points*. Classic gaming there...

And lets not forget that Perfect Dark introduced some of the best weapons, like the Laptop gun (doubles up as a sentry gun), the RCP-120 (cloaking device) and the Dragon (proximity explosion). The Slayer (fly by wire goodness) and MCP (memory lock-on). In terms of how innovative Halo is, I don't think it did quite as much for FPS as Perfect Dark did.

...All this is making me nostalgic. *get's out N64 and Perfect Dark*

I disagree. I thought Perfect Dark was a terribly over-rated game when it first came out and I still think so today. The graphics were exactly like Goldeneye (love that game), the gameplay was EXTREMELY linear (as was everygame back then), and just everything about it took away from Goldeneye. There was nothing innovative about it.

Halo was good but 1 game can hardly make the Xbox the winner, the PS2 clearly overpowers the Xbox in general...

And whys that?

Thanks Mario Famous Finally someone agrees with me. I will stay with sony man just can't beat the ps2 RPG's are the best for it also don't forget about their handled psp. OH and come on skin please don't tell me you don;t like play GRand Theft Auto that is probablty the best sandbox game to date oh and dont say it was the X box do becuase with out the ps2 realizes it never would have happened. :D

sKin said:
I disagree. I thought Perfect Dark was a terribly over-rated game when it first came out and I still think so today. The graphics were exactly like Goldeneye (love that game), the gameplay was EXTREMELY linear (as was everygame back then), and just everything about it took away from Goldeneye. There was nothing innovative about it.

What you're talking about is not innovation though. Dictionary.com describes innovation as:
dictionary.com said:
1. something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.
2. the act of innovating; introduction of new things or methods.
The fact of the matter, is that Halo wasn't particularly innovative. Sure, the graphics were good, but if improved graphics were innovation, then the PS3 will be boasting more innovation. It isn't. Perfect Dark introduced a number of new types of weapons, bots (with personality) and new play modes (counter-op?). Sure, the game didn't have that good graphics by today's standard, but you can't compare a game of two generations of consoles ago with the kind of graphics we have today (or even last generation).

Better graphics, clearer sounds and bigger games do not constitute as innovation. It's merely improvement. And lets no forget that Halo graphics will seem absolutely horrible when compare to next gen and the gen after that.

sKin said:
But thats not why it was sooo innovative! Never in an FPS had there been amazing graphics, STUNNING music, an awesome storyline with a huge twist, the ability to ride any vehicle you choose, kick-ass multiplayer, and fluid gameplay with controls that matched it perfectly.
Have you even played Counter Strike?

Lord Haku said:
What is conter stirke have not heard of it :confused:

You're kidding, right? :wtf:
It's an online FPS (probably the most popular one in the world) where 2 teams (terrorists and anti-terrorists) battle each other. One team tries to complete a task (usually rescue hostages or detonate a bomb) and the opposing side tries to stop them. It's very fun, you should try it sometime.

Back