Delayed until Feb. 10 on US

Nintendo is absolutely NOT delaying the game due to money. They have there games planned out years in advance. Meetings last hours about release dates and what games should come out at certain times. When they said December 3rd they really thought it would be ready then. BUT, they probably saw sometime around August that things weren't getting finished soon enough. They probably set a certain date in October for when the game needed to have been completed to a certain point. They saw they weren't getting there in time and scheduled a few meetings with the executives. They probably decided that they should hold off for a few weeks let them get things wrapped up and if they did finish in time release it on the release date. But then they began to think, "if were going to delay it, why not delay it a couple more months, give us some time to finish a few abandoned projects" And they release it would increase sales for SMG so it was a no brainer for them.

gnahc79 said:
The two being different games IS the point, that is why Nintendo doesn't launch Mario Kart and SSBB within 2 weeks of each other. Same with Zelda and Galaxy.

1) Some people would get only either Galaxy or SSBB if Dec 3 was the launch date. The 'loss' to Galaxy is minimal.
2) Nearly all 'hardcore' gamers that buy Galaxy will buy SSBB, independent of the launch date.
3) Not all gamers that buy SSBB will buy Galaxy, independent of the launch date. These gamers are more casual gamers, or don't have the time for a platform game.

Anyways, that's all I have to write about this topic. Time to play some Strikers Charged and get my butt kicked by Diddy at the Crystal Cup! lol

1. Some
2. I said that already.
3. Less if they both were out at Christmas.

Read what Nintedo's VP of sales and marketting said about that.
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/interview-perri.html

I based my post on what she said.
ALSO
I'm not SAYING that the delay was because OF MONEY.

SoUL said:
1. Some
2. I said that already.
3. Less if they both were out at Christmas.

Read what Nintedo's VP of sales and marketting said about that.
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/interview-perri.html

I based my post on what she said.
ALSO
I'm not SAYING that the delay was because OF MONEY.

SoUL said:
I really don't think the delay was 100% because of money but YES, by delaying they will get more profit.
Interesting...except Kaplan said if they were both available during Christmas they would sell out of both games.

They don't make any more profit from delaying SSBB, they lose money from the volume of sales lost between Dec 3 and Feb. That loss can't be made up completely because the Mario Kart release in Spring '08 targets the same group of people (for the most part). Having two different games released near each other has no affect on sales, as noted by Kaplan. However, having two similar games released near each other, like Mario Kart and SSBB, there's a greater possibility of one game negatively affecting the sales of the other game.

WN: Where does this put Nintendo this holiday season? This isn't a good thing for your holiday season, so…

PK: Actually, the Wii and DS are just screaming past the cash registers still. We even upped our production numbers and I think that the demand is so high that we're probably not even going to meet the demand with that. And Super Mario Galaxy honestly deserves a time of its own. I think having two huge titles like that right next to each other is great for people that are hardcore gamers. But for people who are just entering, and they're only going to choose one, Mario Galaxy is a great game for people who want to really get in depth, and then come next year, Smash Bros. is another really great product for that. So I think having those piled up on each other wouldn't have been bad -- we'd have sold every last unit -- but I think this'll be even better for the consumer.

Last edited:
Back