Delayed until Feb. 10 on US

patrick3675 said:
And the 360 has great graphics but is the buggiest system released in a long time and there is not really a variety of games or gameplay.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

is SSBB being delayed due to online gaming features. I thought the reason it was delayed to December was due to online gaming for Wii wasn't completed.

Any thoughts?

No one knows. I'm hoping there trying to implement Headset and Online tournament features and probably tweak unbalanced characters

JerryC said:
No one knows. I'm hoping there trying to implement Headset and Online tournament features and probably tweak unbalanced characters
Just as long as I don't get idiots screaming obscenities and "noob" and such at me.

Of course, having a cheat-proof system is also essential...

I agree 100% with the OP but I think the wait might be worth it.... the possibility for headsets makes me tingly all over !

That actually sounds... great!
But you know how is Nintendo. I don't think they will dig this whole headset stuff. =/

Lets just hope for it.

SoUL said:
That actually sounds... great!
But you know how is Nintendo. I don't think they will dig this whole headset stuff. =/

Lets just hope for it.

Nintendo is not opposed to the idea of a headset. After all, they already released one for the DS.

us Australians and europeans get this for pretty much every game.. it happened to metroid prime 3 (one of the wii's most anticipated games), and it will probably happen to super mario galaxy coming out next month (havent even announced a release date for us yet and i love this game) if it happens for us with brawl i will be really pissed off because i have been waiting for this game for yonks.

Skippy said:
No, not less money. It would be the same amout or more. Let's say they'll sell 100 games. Nintendo gets the same amount of money regardless of whether it's 100 Super Marios or 60 Super Marios and 40 Smash Bros. They're losing out on profit from the people who would buy them both for the holiday season.

By not releasing until February only means more sales in February, not more overall. If someone doesn't get a Wii until March they can still by Smash Bros. regardless of when the game itself was released.

No. The more delay, the more potential loss in profit. You need to get product into customers' hands as soon as possible or that money may go elsewhere. Why do you think EB/Gamestop pushes pre-orders so much? The sooner they get some of your money, the better for the bottom line.

Wrong, wrong, wrong....You proved my point though. By selling 60 Super mario bros. and 40 Smash bros, they get the same amount of money because they sold 100 games?? OK, but by delaying it until February, guess what? Now they'll sell 100 Super marios AND 100 Smash bros....Hey! More money!! It really is not complicated. You don't realease two of your hugest games nearly simultaneously, THEY WILL COMPETE FOR SALES. Plain and simple.
And also, the delay DOES mean more overall sales for SSBB, because MORE PEOPLE WILL HAVE WII'S BY THEN, hence, EVEN MORE COPIES WILL BE SOLD.
And that SSBB "money" isn't going "elsewhere", you can't throw out a generic economic rule and assume it applies to everything. SSBB is a unique item to which unique rules apply, Nintendo knows it and they're taking advantage of the LOYALTY of their customers to make the largest amount of $$$ they can. You should be outraged.

Also, places like Gamestop push preorders, not simply to get the money in their hands quickly, but because it ensures an eventual $50-60 purchase!! People may hesitate to throw down that much money, but are MUCH more willing to shell out $5 for a simple preorder.....even though they'll eventually have to buy the whole game! It's a "tricky" way to get you to commit to a large purchase, it's not about their instant-gratification "bottom-line".

Last edited:
I really don't think the delay was 100% because of money but YES, by delaying they will get more profit.

Delaying the game so more people can get the Wii and buy the game? Huh? Nintendo would make the game available Dec 3 if they could. Those people that get the Wii past the SSBB launch date will STILL get SSBB. The game is a THE must have game more than any other Wii game IMO.
A delay costs money. The return of investment from development, testing, marketing etc etc is delayed, which does not make investors happy. It also affects the dev team's overall schedule, all of those developers and testers working on SSBB past the expected date are supposed to be working on another game. Now that game may also be delayed, furthering the delay on sales of the next game. Either that or now Nintendo has to hire a bunch of temporary testers, which costs them money.

This is generally speaking, I'm not sure exactly how Nintendo dev works but it's how many software companies operate.

Wired article

SAN FRANCISCO -- Wii owners' stockings just got a little emptier: Nintendo won't ship its biggest upcoming Wii title, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, this Christmas as previously planned.

At a Thursday press conference in San Francisco, Nintendo announced that the hotly anticipated follow-up to its best-selling GameCube game will instead ship Feb. 10.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a fighting game for four players. It brings together characters from various Nintendo franchises -- Mario, Princess Zelda, Pikachu -- to duke it out with fists and fireballs. Nintendo showed off a playable version of the game for the first time at press conferences in Tokyo and San Francisco this week. The company will show it to the public at the E For All Expo next week in Los Angeles.

Nintendo planned to cash in on pent-up demand for Smash Bros. during the 2007 holiday shopping season. Now, facing the crucial Christmas rush without the new title -- and with a continuing shortage of Wii consoles -- Nintendo could give up ground to its console competitors, Microsoft and Sony.

Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo's vice president of marketing, said the delay is due to the game designers in Tokyo continuing to refine and add new features. "Nintendo is a company that doesn't rush things," she said.

The Wii version of Smash Bros. is the first title in the series to feature online gameplay, an area that Nintendo has been reluctant to explore in the past. But Kaplan only offered a terse "no comment" when asked if issues with the online features had anything to do with the slipping release date.

Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities, said the delay likely won't have a significant impact on sales of the game.

"But instead of Nintendo being the clear winner this holiday, maybe Microsoft has a chance of keeping up. There's not as much compelling Nintendo content this holiday without it," he said.

Of Nintendo's competitors, Microsoft looks to have the best holiday outlook on continued sales of Halo 3 for Xbox 360, which raked in nearly $300 million in its first week of sales.

Sony will trail in third place this year, said Pachter, even though he expects the embattled PlayStation maker to release a $400 cut-price version of the console packed with the Spider-Man 3 movie on Blu-Ray.

Pachter predicted Nintendo will still sell out of its incredibly popular Wii this holiday, even though Nintendo says it has increased production of the console this fiscal year from 14 million units to 16.5 million. The United States will receive a greater percentage of those units than last year, Kaplan said.

Just before announcing the Smash delay, Nintendo Senior V.P. George Harrison said the company expects Super Mario Galaxy, releasing next month, to be the company's biggest holiday seller.

But Pachter thinks the Wii's killer app won't come from Nintendo -- it'll be Activision's Guitar Hero III, which he thinks will be more appealing than Smash to adults who own the console.

"That's the game that people who bought Wii for 'Tennis' will want," he said.

Last edited:
gnahc79 said:
Delaying the game so more people can get the Wii and buy the game? Huh? Nintendo would make the game available Dec 3 if they could. Those people that get the Wii past the SSBB launch date will STILL get SSBB. The game is a THE must have game more than any other Wii game IMO.
A delay costs money. The return of investment from development, testing, marketing etc etc is delayed, which does not make investors happy. It also affects the dev team's overall schedule, all of those developers and testers working on SSBB past the expected date are supposed to be working on another game. Now that game may also be delayed, furthering the delay on sales of the next game. Either that or now Nintendo has to hire a bunch of temporary testers, which costs them money.

This is generally speaking, I'm not sure exactly how Nintendo dev works but it's how many software companies operate.

Wired article

SAN FRANCISCO -- Wii owners' stockings just got a little emptier: Nintendo won't ship its biggest upcoming Wii title, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, this Christmas as previously planned.

At a Thursday press conference in San Francisco, Nintendo announced that the hotly anticipated follow-up to its best-selling GameCube game will instead ship Feb. 10.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a fighting game for four players. It brings together characters from various Nintendo franchises -- Mario, Princess Zelda, Pikachu -- to duke it out with fists and fireballs. Nintendo showed off a playable version of the game for the first time at press conferences in Tokyo and San Francisco this week. The company will show it to the public at the E For All Expo next week in Los Angeles.

Nintendo planned to cash in on pent-up demand for Smash Bros. during the 2007 holiday shopping season. Now, facing the crucial Christmas rush without the new title -- and with a continuing shortage of Wii consoles -- Nintendo could give up ground to its console competitors, Microsoft and Sony.

Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo's vice president of marketing, said the delay is due to the game designers in Tokyo continuing to refine and add new features. "Nintendo is a company that doesn't rush things," she said.

The Wii version of Smash Bros. is the first title in the series to feature online gameplay, an area that Nintendo has been reluctant to explore in the past. But Kaplan only offered a terse "no comment" when asked if issues with the online features had anything to do with the slipping release date.

Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Morgan Securities, said the delay likely won't have a significant impact on sales of the game.

"But instead of Nintendo being the clear winner this holiday, maybe Microsoft has a chance of keeping up. There's not as much compelling Nintendo content this holiday without it," he said.

Of Nintendo's competitors, Microsoft looks to have the best holiday outlook on continued sales of Halo 3 for Xbox 360, which raked in nearly $300 million in its first week of sales.

Sony will trail in third place this year, said Pachter, even though he expects the embattled PlayStation maker to release a $400 cut-price version of the console packed with the Spider-Man 3 movie on Blu-Ray.

Pachter predicted Nintendo will still sell out of its incredibly popular Wii this holiday, even though Nintendo says it has increased production of the console this fiscal year from 14 million units to 16.5 million. The United States will receive a greater percentage of those units than last year, Kaplan said.

Just before announcing the Smash delay, Nintendo Senior V.P. George Harrison said the company expects Super Mario Galaxy, releasing next month, to be the company's biggest holiday seller.

But Pachter thinks the Wii's killer app won't come from Nintendo -- it'll be Activision's Guitar Hero III, which he thinks will be more appealing than Smash to adults who own the console.

"That's the game that people who bought Wii for 'Tennis' will want," he said.

Wow lots of words and I didn't read any of it! Repped! I hate gh! So boring! lawl gh is for non-gamers.

Last edited:
Back