Disassemble Wii - Battery and Connect24

Kiryllos

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2008
So I'm still contemplating taking my Wii apart to properly attach the heatsink, but I did some reading about how to take the thing apart and found a long thread on another form that's fairly old, but talks about troubles from removing the Wii battery and having Connect24 stop working.

Is this still an issue? If I were to remove the screw behind the battery while the system was still plugged in, but powered down, and then put the battery back in while disassembly, would I lose any data?

Why bother? It's extremely unlikely your Wii will have a heat problem, plus you'll void your warranty.

It is 'sorta' broke :) I was getting flickering textures but after attaching an Intec Radiator to the back they seem to be gone, which suggests a heat problem. The Intec is obviously a solution, but I would feel better if the cooling was being done by more appropriate means.

Kiryllos said:
So I'm still contemplating taking my Wii apart to properly attach the heatsink, but I did some reading about how to take the thing apart and found a long thread on another form that's fairly old, but talks about troubles from removing the Wii battery and having Connect24 stop working.

Is this still an issue? If I were to remove the screw behind the battery while the system was still plugged in, but powered down, and then put the battery back in while disassembly, would I lose any data?
Nope. I have taken mine apart loads of times and it is perfectly fine.

Also, the heat-sink should be fine how it is.

Here is my Wii now:

wiidz9.png

If you need any help on taking it apart, I'm your man, just PM me.

Also, if you want to mod your wiimote instead, just use my Guide to Wiimote Surgery

Wow, great mod! Thanks for the link and the offer!

Oh, also when you said 'nope' at the start, you mean there's no problems with Connect24 and battery removal anymore? I'll probably leave my system for a while yet, but I'm still interested in getting inside there sometime :) The work reminds me of the Mac Mini I took apart at work... though the biggest holdup right now is the my lack of a Triwing screwdriver.

Last edited:
Kiryllos said:
Wow, great mod! Thanks for the link and the offer!

Oh, also when you said 'nope' at the start, you mean there's no problems with Connect24 and battery removal anymore? I'll probably leave my system for a while yet, but I'm still interested in getting inside there sometime :) The work reminds me of the Mac Mini I took apart at work... though the biggest holdup right now is the my lack of a Triwing screwdriver.
My Wii is from launch and I have never had a problem with wiiconnect24.

Also, I some of my Triwings on sale on eBay for about $2 each but they have all been bought. Sorry.

Thanks anyway. I'm still leery of going in, but I'm sure I'll get over that :)

That's what I figure. I've gone over a lot of pages detailing the disassembly, and it seems the biggest pain is just keeping everything in order (at one point there appears to be a ridiculous number of screws to remove).

I figure, though, if I ever get the balls to go in I should make it worth my while and do everything I intend to do all at once.

P.S. Did you turn off Connect24 before you took it apart?

You're still going to void your warranty. If you're having video problems, contact Nintendo for a replacement.

Kiryllos said:
P.S. Did you turn off Connect24 before you took it apart?
Nope. The only negative thing that happens from taking the battery out is that you have to reset your clock when you are done.

Also, Skippy has a good point. Ninty have a fast repairs policy.

Back