Do you want to get married?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways - legally speaking marriage certainly holds an appeal to me. If I was going to commit myself, have children etc I would want to be married. And I'd hope I'd be married before kids... Although I wouldn't really care if I wasn't. I just wouldn't want to be one of the types that gets pregnant and a guy proposes just for the hell of it. And this is certainly not any religious side getting too me. I just have control issues.
I agree. I seem to have similar morals, now that I think about it. They're obviously not from religion or anything, I think they're probably just from being decently mature and reasonable. I would prefer to be married before getting pregnant. That just seems like a natural, more logical sequence of events. If someone proposed to me just because I was knocked up, I'd wonder if they had any intentions of doing so if I hadn't been. It wouldn't feel right. It might be a bit mean, but I just...don't think it looks right to see a wedding picture where there's a bride, a groom, and already two small children. A pregnant bride is even worse xD. And not getting married for financial reasons isn't an excuse, because you shouldn't be procreating without stable finances either.

I used to be like LOL F*CK MARRIAGE in my teen years. Sometimes I don't give myself enough credit for how much I've matured xD.

Last edited:
I agree. I seem to have similar morals, now that I think about it. They're obviously not from religion or anything, I think they're probably just from being decently mature and reasonable. I would prefer to be married before getting pregnant. That just seems like a natural, more logical sequence of events. If someone proposed to me just because I was knocked up, I'd wonder if they had any intentions of doing so if I hadn't been. It wouldn't feel right. It might be a bit mean, but I just...don't think it looks right to see a wedding picture where there's a bride, a groom, and already two small children. A pregnant bride is even worse xD. And not getting married for financial reasons isn't an excuse, because you shouldn't be procreating without stable finances either.

I used to be like LOL F*CK MARRIAGE in my teen years. Sometimes I don't give myself enough credit for how much I've matured xD.

Let's just sayyyy someone happened to get pregnant. I'd move up the proposal date so it was still in the right order.

I don't think she'd take it to mean that I wouldn't have all together.

It's really weird still being around people like that.

It takes a lot longer for people to mature in the present, it feels like. 18 used to mean something, but now people are still partying, doing illegal activities, having one night stands. Blah, I really shouldn't be living on the campus of a liberal school.

It takes a lot longer for people to mature in the present, it feels like. 18 used to mean something, but now people are still partying, doing illegal activities, having one night stands. Blah, I really shouldn't be living on the campus of a liberal school.
I'd say 18 is around the time most people stop acting like a spoiled brat, at least.

By the way, it never ceases to amaze me how American colleges are classed as "liberal" or "conservative".

I'm not even going to comment on having sex for fun is wrong. I don't agree with that in the absolute slightest. Oops, I commented.

Partying is wrong? 18 is when most people can really start partying. 21 if you're American, I guess. Although I don't see all those Americans on college campus waiting at all.

Although I do agree with what you're saying. People seem like they are taking longer to mature. But I'd attribute it partly to the fact that it's no longer considered the norm to get married so young anymore. People still do - I've got a surprising amount of people from my High School getting married at 19/20.

High School used to always say at 18 you become an adult and you start being treated like one. I don't really agree. Legally you might be. But it doesn't seem to matter how mature you are at 18, people will still treat you as a "young person". It's ridiculous.

18 always seemed ages away for me. I thought that I'd be all amazing an adult and stuff, turns out I feel exactly the same as I do a few years ago. I cannot imagine anyone getting married at this age unless they were extremely certain that they'd stay with that person for the rest of their life. I'm trying to grasp how to cook myself, but marriage seems to be a huge leap at a young age. Though, I'd do it in a second if I wasn't going to be looked down on people. I look really young as it is.

I think it's more to do with people "living their lives" so they don't do things at a young age. Apparently it's not fun to be married. I also don't get while people want to wait to get a life to have kids, it's like kids are an overwhelming burden on people. No, they're not.

Friends with benefits, hm. That concept is fine with me. I see sex as "something special" or whatever you want to call it, so it wouldn't be my personal choice to phone someone up and ask for sex.

Last edited:
Of course I want to get married. I'm getting married on September. I love my woman, and I really don't need to have sex with different people. I just want to be with her for the rest of my life.

I would hate to get married right now. As I said, one of my friends is getting married in July. She'll be 20 by then. I am certainly happy for her. It is perhaps worth noting the boyfriend is about 24 or 25 and a primary school teacher, so he already has a secure enough job going there and he already owns a house. So I think that is slightly different from two 19 year olds getting married, moving out of their parents home and trying to make it.

I have a well paid job and I can't afford to live out of home yet. If I had a boyfriend/husband to support me we'd still struggle - not unless he was getting like $60,000 a year. We could probably still afford the rent and food... but not much else. This may just be me, but I'd prefer to be a better finacial situation when I get married - so my savings don't get destroyed. I am sure at one point I'll have to struggle a bit, but I'd prefer to do so when I have finished Uni and have a fulltime job.

I would hate to get married right now. As I said, one of my friends is getting married in July. She'll be 20 by then. I am certainly happy for her. It is perhaps worth noting the boyfriend is about 24 or 25 and a primary school teacher, so he already has a secure enough job going there and he already owns a house. So I think that is slightly different from two 19 year olds getting married, moving out of their parents home and trying to make it.

I have a well paid job and I can't afford to live out of home yet. If I had a boyfriend/husband to support me we'd still struggle - not unless he was getting like $60,000 a year. We could probably still afford the rent and food... but not much else. This may just be me, but I'd prefer to be a better finacial situation when I get married - so my savings don't get destroyed. I am sure at one point I'll have to struggle a bit, but I'd prefer to do so when I have finished Uni and have a fulltime job.

Y'know the legal benefits of marriage actually make it easier to live together than two people supporting themselves.

The only financial loss a wedding invokes is the wedding itself, which is only a couple hundred with license fees. Dress and such not really needed.

Y'know the legal benefits of marriage actually make it easier to live together than two people supporting themselves.

Not enough though. Although admittedly I calculated for rent not for a first home buyer, which I probably should have. But for the area that I currently need to live in buying real estate is impossible. Rent is the only real option. Unless of course I marry a millionaire, in which case real buying a house is possible.

I really couldn't imagine us getting married anytime soon.
I mean, we're moving in together sometime this year (when my mother gets around to buying us a flat for us to rent, harhar.) but marriage? No.

When we're both settled into our careers and have had our fun then sure, but we're both sure on the fact that it's a pretty stupid idea for us to be getting married now.
My aunty was with her partner for 10 years before they got married. I can see us being like that. Mainly because I got with Jay when I was 15, so by the time we're ready too we probably would have been together that long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back