DVD playback software upgrade?

jlspec

WiiChat Member
Nov 22, 2006
San Diego
Wii Online Code
6920-9646-7256-3871
I've read a couple articles talking the new DVD playback Wii and in some of them they mention a DVD software upgrade. So does this mean that current Wii's can play DVD with a DVD software installed? If so are they working on such a software either it be official Nintendo or home brew?

theres gona be a new model of wii for that
wiill be more expesive

I do not think that an additional DVD peripheral is necessary. I have a DVD player (actually quite a few) and a one in all my other consoles is unnecessary and a waste of space.

It is very possible for the Wii to be given a piece of software to play DVD's

after all it already has the DVD drive (which will be able to read DVD movies)

the problem (at least thats what I think it is) that the Wii doesn't have a hardware chip which has the codecs required to decode DVD movies...

So for this you would need some DVD software which includes the DVD codecs...
much like your pc at home... dvd drive cant just play dvds it requires software/codecs

So I personally just think that it will be something you can downloads as a piece of software (similar to VC games) and "install" it on your Wii...

This will mean when you go into your Wii Channel (and said DVD software is there) you can select the DVD software and bish bash bosh... up comes your DVD software with DVD playback capabilities...

This may not be entirely correct but generally I think this is what will happen :)

TheRook

p.s. My home IP is banned (no idea why :( ) so I hav eto get my Wii fix during the day...
I have sent numerous messages to admin trying to get it fixed but as yet no luck! So if you read this please unban my home IP :) ty

I too already have a DVD player but I like my setup nice and clean which the Wii can help. Also the Wii has this very modern look too it that compliments my setup better then DVD players.

Back