First details on Sonic Unleashed

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
DONT KNOW IF IT HAS BEEN POSTED ALREADY BECAYUSE CHECK IF ALREADY POSTED BUTTON REVEALED NOTHING. IF IT HAS, PLEASE DELETE.
Don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Sonic Team has a funny way of making games these days. This morning The Sonic Stadium broke news of a forum post leaking images pertaining to be from Sonic Unleashed. We can now confirm that these images are real. This will be the next Sonic game.

And yet, we don't know quite how to take the news. On the one hand, we're excited with the promise of gorgeous levels and a Sonic that we actually want to associate ourselves with. On the other hand... well, read on.

Sonic Unleashed will be the next Sonic 'canon' game, if you will, intending to follow on from Sonic 06's Iblis disaster (in more ways than one), hence the weird unimaginitive dark creature git in the screenshots this morning. You see Super Sonic attempting to stop Eggman once more, but a new trick up his sleeve results in Sonic having to deal with a rather unnatural curse.

A werewolf. Sonic has to fight a werewolf alter-ego of himself.

Yeah.

But hey! Look how gorgeous this is!
unleashedlb7.jpg

Makes it all better in a weird way, right? The locales look stunning, and Sonic has never looked better. During the Sonic stages you can expect to encounter levels in a mixture of tried and tested ways, including Sonic and the Secret Rings style running and switching to 2.5D platforming on the odd occasion.

At various points he will change into his werewolf form, at which point a gameplay gimmick will come into play - something we've been told isn't exactly in keeping with trying to make a Sonic game... well... let us say, 'good'. We have our suspicions.

The blue hog won't be alone on his adventure either, as another new character that will probably be dispensed of in ten minutes will make a no-doubt unwelcome and unnecessary appearance. Just who or what this character will be is unknown as of yet.

Finally, Sonic Unleashed is currently a working title and, like Sonic Wildfire before it, will likely change before its release. We weren't told what consoles the game is destined for, but if we were to put our speculating caps on we'd say the SatSR elements would point to the Wii being a likely candidate. Sonic Team appear to want to continue the trend of adapting old stories into the Sonic universe, let's hope the werewolf thing doesn't bring things down a peg or three.

To see some official art of the were-hog, check out SEGA-Portal's archive of screenshots that were added throughout the day.

LINKAGE

nice find man - keep me posted on all new info aye :) i absolutely love sonic games, especially sonic adventure 1 and 2 and, although underrated, i loved SatsR on wii, was an awesome game imo just lacked decent camera work in few areas......still, lets hope this game puts sonic up there with other major titles of 08 (providing we see it in 08 *fingers crossed*)

LOLWUT? Haha! Nice FMV.

opb053editcur0060.jpg

Oooh that lighting! Taking a hint from Galaxy perhaps?

1305.jpg

Pretty dull Galaxy lookalike.

Last edited:
Jslck630 said:
i thought it was just 4 ps3/xbox

That's the impression I was under as well.

Regardless of which platform(s) it's on, I just hope they can recreate the fun of the 2D sonic games.

jinglejangle said:
The wii isn't even capable of those graphics, is it?

no but they could make a wiified version

Wow talk about crappy gfx for next-gen. I don't want to seethe Wii version. EW!!

Last edited:
Most new Sonic games have been alright, but the controls and story are just horrible. The story I don't care much about, but if I keep running off the stage every time, and try to do that homing attack but miss and fly off the stage, it just gets frustrating. Let's hope it's the first really good Sonic game in a while! Seriously, if Sonic Team had to work on anything, it's the controls and maybe a way to make Sonic not immediately jet 5000 feet off the level from tilting the control stick a bit off course while running at full speed. That'd be nice.

I've read where when this was first announced, people thought it would ONLY be for the Wii. Now it's confirmed it will be on the 360 and Wii, but not confirmed on the PS3 as of yet.
The main reason we know it's for the Wii, is that a Nintendo Magazine is suppose to have a preview of the game in it's next issue.

Back