Gamespot biased against the Wii

yungblood6 said:
well thats because nintendo likes to keep the rap on things and keep info for their own review mag, and thus releases info late. Xbox and playstation however release things on a regular basis, thus making it easier to review. Hell just as the reviews are getting written they have demos up on xboxlive and playtation network, for us to make our own decision about.
I look at those low ratings that some of the wii games have and they deserve those ratings. just like the ones on the other deserve it too. Like i said the highest score that has been on there is a 9.5 and that is pretty realistic seeing as there are no perfect games out there. Every game that is good doesn't have to be a 9 or better. 5 and under are bad 6 is ok, 7 and 8 are good 9 and up are great games. whats wrong with that. Lets also keep in mind Zelda was a gamecube game and there is nothing really setting it apart from its gamecube counterpart so why would it deserve better than a 7? for the wii, maybe better than a 7 for the gamecube but why for the wii?

um the motion controls actually do set zelda apart, and i know IGN gets nintendo games a little before they come out to review them as well as EGM the mag. you look at the low ratings the wii has like they deserve them because you are basing everything off something else. zeldas already a GC game doesnt deserve this score, metroid isnt halo, doesnt deserve that score. just take it for what it is, or go buy a 360.

yungblood6 said:
yea but at the same time don't throw a fit because the game you like didn't get the review you think it should. The person reviewing it is intitled to his/her opinion. To call them biased is kinda ignorant. Also don't base your game decision on some one else's opinion use their review to get an idea about the game but not your main decision on whether you should purchase it. he might think the game is great so you go buy it based on that, and wow you hate the game. is that a smart decision making i think not.

I never said I base my opinion on theirs. I have never bought a game based upon one person's opinion. It is helpful to talk with people that have the same game tastes as you and if they have played the game before.

Reviews are merely a persons view on a game, and how it is seen in their eyes. and you can't guarantee the same experience with everyone.

You are quick to jump to conclusions.

phillepino said:
Here's a post from a gamespot user. I found this while looking for an answer why Gamespot is biased against the Wii.

"I picked up my Wii in early February or so. I enjoyed playing the Wii Sports that was bundled with it, but absolutely fell in love with the console when Resident Evil 4 was released. Since my purchase I have monitored the Wii forums, and throughout that time there have been a flood of posts claiming GameSpot is biased against Nintendo or more specifically agains the Wii. I have always brushed these aside, as in the past GameSpot has been mostly fair with their reviews, with a bad review only being an occasional blip on the radar. However, after seeing the review of Metroid Prime 3, you have to ask what the heck is going on at GameSpot? I mean, first they totally foobar up their review system to the point that it's virtually useless unless you are going to read the entire review (they shut down a union of people who wanted the old review system back, that's right, deleted / purged the union, and then killed the only thread we were allowed to provide feedback on). Now they have an x-tournament director, now associate editor, reviewing games, and reviewing what has to be one of the premier games on the system and only giving it an 8.5? At this point, I'm not sure what's more ridiculous, the rating system, or the resulting quality of their reviews.

Other Gaming Sites Scores
Take a look at the other gaming sites review scores for Metroid Prime 3:

10/10 - Nintendo Power
9.5/10 - IGN
9.0/10 - 1UP
9.6/10 - GameTrailers
8.5/10 - GameSpot

What's even crazier, is that every review so far has hailed this game as a better game than Metroid Prime 2, and even better than Metroid Prime 1. GameSpot's own score for those games:

GameSpots Metroid Prime Scores
Metroid Prime 1 - 9.7
Metroid Prime 2 - 9.2
Metroid Prime 3 - 8.5

Is Metroid Prime 3 really the worst one in the series? Consensus would say that Metroid Prime 2 was the bad egg, so why does Metroid Prime 3 receive the worst score? Why?

Forum Thread On MP3 Rating Locked
To make matters worse, GameSpot is now in the process of actively stomping on any questioning of their reviews. I mentioned their approach to stifling the feedback from the community regarding the new review system. I posted a thread on the MP3 8.5 review in the Wii forums, only to have it locked without any reason or message from a moderator. The locking of threads without notification or reason from a moderator on the Wii forum is extremely prevelant This is something that doesn't occur near as much on the other XBox 360 or PS3 forums.

Bias?
I am not sure if there is a bias against the Wii here at GameSpot, but the Wii definitely appears to be treated as a second hand console at GameSpot. Non-game reviewers are now providing reviews. Wii games constantly receive lower scores than other sites (MP3 is a 'prime' example). Wii titles even receive lower scores than their XBox 360 / PS3 titles. Why? Graphics perhaps? Shouldn't the game be reviewed based on the capabilities of the CONSOLE and not other paltforms? I mean, PS3 games or XBox 360 reviews are not based on what the game looks like on the PC? I quite honeslty just don't get it.

Miss Qualtiy Reviews and Open Atmosphere
I have been a member here for a long, long time. It's hard to see a website whose content you love, and whose features you use on nearly a daily basis diminished for any reason. Unfortunately, things have been in a downward spiral for over 6 months now (possibly longer). I'm still holding out for GameSpot to turn things around, but so far, there's no sign of change except in the negative. I no longer view GameSpot as a review site. I only use them to keep up on news, and to store my game collection. When I want a review, I now check out GameTrailers. If you want good reviews, check out www.gametrailers.com. Video reviews, for video games, and a point system at that.... 'nuff said.
By valdarez"

Another one..

Have you seen the new releases of the Wii vs. the XBOX 360?

Half or less than half of what was reviewed in the 360 was reviewed.

In other words, Wii is probably purposely being ignored and 360 is higher priority.
how about you read the reviews and the content. gamespot gives very good reviews and mp3 ISNT that big of a step up from the other games, neither was zelda tp. gamespot's 9.0+ means more to them than other sites, while i dont use them since they do rate EVERY system this harshly, i value their opinions.

yungblood6 said:
did you read the review or just look at the numbers? Did you look to see why they might have thought it deserved a 8.5? 1up only gave it a 5 point differnce. Could it be the lack of multiplayer? or perhaps the only thing that might have changed was the controls from the other metroid prime games? You won't know the reason unless you read the review. So what was their reason for it other than you think they are biased towards the wii, what did the review say? Then compare it to the other reviews section for section. then you will probally see why they gave it that.

Here could be the reason they gave it that score this is coming from them and the reviewers opinion.
The Bad

* Some of the contextual actions don't control all that well
* Streamlined controls make things a little too easy and a little less adventurous
* Doesn't do much different than the previous two Metroid Prime games.
we encourage you to read our full reviews and watch our video reviews to give context to our ratings.

Now if i do recall this is a FPS, Halo is Halo no i don't think it is great but millions of other people obviously think it is, it also has a lot of replay value were metroid prime does not, and twilight princess does not. Once you beat those there is not much reason to play it again, vs halo has extra content hidden in the single player that benefits the muliplayer, thus it also has multiplayer with several different game modes which makes the replay value extreamly high. It has co-op which makes playing the single player more fun. Also take into consideration it has offline multiplayer as well. so yea with that much replay value of course its going to get a better review than those other two.
aha man i JUST read your post after i posted mine and it seems like were on the same level, the logical level.

Last edited:
every reviewer is not the same, where one might base there review on graphics, the other story, others replay value, controls and some just by how much fun they had with it. Then with franchises some reviewers go buy what did they do different that makes this game better than the last, like madden08 for the wii, its 07 version had a better rating because it was something new, the next one didn't get higher because they didn't fix the issues it had the first time and didn't do any thing new.

one reviewer might think the game has great graphics and good story, but thinks it failed in replay value so they give it a 8.
while another might think great story, great replay value, and had a blast playing it, so they give it a 10.
then there is another that plays the game didn't have fun with it but thought it had nice graphics and controls and gives it a 6 or 7. does that mean he is biased no it just means he felt it wasn't that great a game. its his opinion not the bottom line, and that doesnt make him biased.

It is bias when a certain reviewer doesn't treat every game he reviews fairly...regardless of the franchise that is attached or how much its been hyped.

Any reviewer can be guilty of it.

I think every review holds a certain amount of bias as they play games, considering what they have grown up on.

Bridgemute said:
I never said I base my opinion on theirs. I have never bought a game based upon one person's opinion. It is helpful to talk with people that have the same game tastes as you and if they have played the game before.

Reviews are merely a persons view on a game, and how it is seen in their eyes. and you can't guarantee the same experience with everyone.

You are quick to jump to conclusions.
i wasn't saying you but others that do, but to say some one is biased because they don't feel the same way is stupid.

Just like i think it was on these forums some one was saying that the game informer was biased towards nintendo and never covered any thing about nintendo but yet in there october issue Metroid is the game of the month, and i like how they give reviews by two different people the main person gave it a 9.5 while the other one gave it a 8.75 based on his view of the story. does that make him biased no he just feels differently about the game. It just we got all these nintendo fans that can't grasp the fact that every body doesn't think nintendo is perfect.

Last edited:
I think his point was they weren't treating the game consistently with past Metroid Prime games...and rating it accordingly.

yungblood6 said:
every reviewer is not the same, where one might base there review on graphics, the other story, others replay value, controls and some just by how much fun they had with it. Then with franchises some reviewers go buy what did they do different that makes this game better than the last, like madden08 for the wii, its 07 version had a better rating because it was something new, the next one didn't get higher because they didn't fix the issues it had the first time and didn't do any thing new.

one reviewer might think the game has great graphics and good story, but thinks it failed in replay value so they give it a 8.
while another might think great story, great replay value, and had a blast playing it, so they give it a 10.
then there is another that plays the game didn't have fun with it but thought it had nice graphics and controls and gives it a 6 or 7. does that mean he is biased no it just means he felt it wasn't that great a game. its his opinion not the bottom line, and that doesnt make him biased.
:thumbsup:
on top of all this
why do you people care about the ratings of a game so much? ratings should be looked at as something to give a base opinion and then let you decide if you want to play/rent/buy the game or not. its best to find a site or magazine that has a similar opinion to yours and base your purchases off their ratings, instead of bitching about a site. ratings are NOT for bragging rights or flame rights, which it seems so many people think they are.

Sovieto said:
:thumbsup:
on top of all this
why do you people care about the ratings of a game so much? ratings should be looked at as something to give a base opinion and then let you decide if you want to play/rent/buy the game or not. its best to find a site or magazine that has a similar opinion to yours and base your purchases off their ratings, instead of bitching about a site. ratings are NOT for bragging rights or flame rights, which it seems so many people think they are.

:yesnod:
I could not agree more.

wow your hated gamespot gave mario galaxy a 9.5, yea there real biased alright.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/supermario128/index.html

any more excuses?

well according to most of the ramblings on here that must mean the game really sucks because gamespot reviewers are idiots, and hate the wii.
Wow then look at the users ratings of the game. its lower so who is biased now?

Last edited:
yungblood6 said:
wow your hated gamespot gave mario galaxy a 9.5, yea there real biased alright.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/supermario128/index.html

any more excuses?

well according to most of the ramblings on here that must mean the game really sucks because gamespot reviewers are idiots, and hate the wii.
Wow then look at the users ratings of the game. its lower so who is biased now?

:lol: Those aren't Gamespot reviews, one's from Deeko and one's from gamesTM. Gamespot hasn't writted a SMG review yet.

Eagles said:
:lol: Those aren't Gamespot reviews, one's from Deeko and one's from gamesTM. Gamespot hasn't writted a SMG review yet.
my mistake but they still aren't biased

yungblood6 said:
* Some of the contextual actions don't control all that well

I agree on this. Just beat the game and damn, if the grapple thing wasn't iffy. It would lose lock-on or not detect the motion properly.

And while I got used to turning with the remote, did Samus need to go into a constant spin if the remote pointed away from the TV?

Game 1 was easy with hard bosses. Game 2 wa shard with relatively easy bosses(though impossible if you didn't know exactly what to do). MP3 was... easy with easy bosses. The final boss was a non-issue even with the timer going. And then the bit where they display all the item locations on the maps. No real challenge.

I have lost all respect for GameSpot after they gave Metroid Prime a 8.5, whilst they compared it to the likes of top notch FPS's. It is pretty obvious hat Metroid Prime is an adventure game first that has shooting included.

**Please note that i have not played Metroid Prime 3 as yet, due it not being released yet.

While I agree with those who speak on the topic that the comparison of the rating results released by other independent game rating organizations is a bit controversial in regards to GameSpot's alleged biased disposition, however it's the inconsistency of there own rating system that sparks the curiosity that there could be some fact to phillepino's claim.
phillepino said:
What's even crazier, is that every review so far has hailed this game as a better game than Metroid Prime 2, and even better than Metroid Prime 1. GameSpot's own score for those games:

GameSpots Metroid Prime Scores
Metroid Prime 1 - 9.7
Metroid Prime 2 - 9.2
Metroid Prime 3 - 8.5
Now I won't pretend to of read there review, and I am merely assuming that these scores are in fact accurately depicted as GameSpot intended. My question is did they in fact state the reason in which they regarded the last installment of the Metroid trilogy as the least favored in the series?

Back