Status
Not open for further replies.

GigaRidley

Ouroboros
Jan 24, 2008
Larchmont, NY
Wii Online Code
4005-0628-2206-3853
I've been planning to do this for a while, so here goes. If all goes well, I'll review other games so it'll be a series!
P.S: If I do make more, they'll probably be in the Nintendo Wii Gaming subforum.
*SPOILERS*

Alright, so unless you've been living in a cave or small hole for the past couple of years, you know about super smash bros. brawl. The fact that you're on a NINTENDO WII FORUM in the SMASH BROS. BRAWL section would probably increase the chance of you knowing about it, but maybe that's just me. So for those less enlightened, here's Smash in a nutshell: beat up each other with classic videogame franchise characters (mostly Nintendo-based). Sounds simple, but Smash is like no other game you've ever played. I don't have enough room to explain everything, so just go out and buy SSB or SSBM if you want to see where this game came from. It's money well spent, let me assure you.
Anyways, American gamers have finally gotten their hands on SSBB. Is it any good? In short, yes. Very much so. It adds amazing new things to the series while still retaining it's most important qualities. In fact, there were absolutely no areas that didn't exceed my expectations.
The main thing in any smash bros. game is the characters, and brawl has that in spades. Most of the old favorites are returning (R.I.P Roy and Mewtwo) plus new characters like Pit, Lucario, Wolf and R.O.B. The total roster is now 35 characters, which is a definate improvement from melee and adds replay value. The two third-party characters, Snake and Sonic, fit right in with the cast and also have awesome new stages, like Sonic's Green Hill Zone (the rock remix of Angel Island is a godsend). Speaking of stages, there are 41 in total, from Melee's Hyrule Temple to the 75m stage from the original Donkey Kong. Plus, you can now make custom stages! These are actually more detailed than I had expected, and hold up well against their pre-designed brethren.
Now,it they just had new characters and stages, the game would still be great, but the more extensive additions really show how much time good old Sakurai put into this amazing game. Classic Mode is returning, but the new adventure mode, The Subspace Emissary, is a beat-em-up co-op sidescroller stand-alone game all by itself. Beautiful CGI cutscenes immerse you in the world of Nintendo, and there are plently of harrowing boss fights to be had (there are 2 Ridley bosses! 2!!!). Frankly, I've never been more pleased with a single-player modein a primarily multiplayer game.
Also returning is event mode, but now you can play it with a friend, adding to smash's party appeal. Trophies are also returning, at over double their original number, but a new collectible item, stickers, add ever more to the replay value.
I haven't even mentioned the awe-inspiring new items (the Final Smashes and Assist Trophies in particular) or the new Masterpieces mode, where you can play trial games from Nintendo's past, but you get the idea. Smash is an enormous game. I don't know if one player could ever unlock all of the content housed within. Simply put, when Sakurai makes a game, he makes it right. If you haven't yet, go buy it. NOW. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a game every Wii player should have. In fact, go out and buy a Wii now if you don't have one, then buy Brawl. You'll be glad you did.
CONCLUSION
Summary:Various Nitendo characters (plus Sonic and Snake) compete in a no-holds-barred, action packed party/fighting game.
Gameplay:Possibly better than the other smash games, and that's saying something. The controls feel much smoother and easier in particular.
Graphics: Easily the Wii's best game, these graphics rival games on the Xbox 360 (with the added advantage of not having a controller best suited for bear paws)
Replay:Infinite. Truly infinite.
Defining New Feature: Subspace Emissary. Finally, a true single-player mode in Smash Bros.

FINAL SCORE: 10 out of 10 (Outstandinng)
what do you think?

Last edited:
Ewww, you said SSE was a true single player mode?! Im sure most people would not care if they just completely took SSE out because its not very good. Like a critic said, "if SSE was a stand alone game, it wouldnt score so good."

Also the graphics do not rival 360 games at all. Infact the graphics are like "Melee 1.5"

Everything else is on point

btw everything I said in quotes was from what reviewers have said, that I agree with. But I still personally give a 9.5/10 which makes SSBB my favorite Wii game by far.

Good review, but like T3kNi9e said, SSE isnt as good as it sounds. Its not terrible and its a great addition to the game. It was never meant to be the main part of the game but rather the easy way to gather the characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back