Hardwired connection

Bakura23

Just some guy
Jan 23, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Wii Online Code
0004-0004-0004-0004
Just curious if anyone uses the USB hardwired Internet connection on their Wii and how much difference it makes playing online vs the wifi.

I haven't done it with vidya gaems (router's on another floor, can't ethernet my consoles to it), but it definitely does help. It's regardless what sort'a device you're usin', direct wired connections can have a huge (positive) impact on latency caused on your end. If ya have decent or better internet, it's most certainly worth investin' in gettin' your consoles wired t' your internet source.

Assuming ya game a lot online, anyways.

I've played an awful lot of goldeneye online since I got it, and that's gotten me to start playing SSB as well. Just looking for any way to cut down on lag. Thanks for the input, Splash!

I don't have a hard-wired connection. However, I have heard that it does cut down on lag a little with GE online. I've also heard people complain that wii freezes INCREASE with it also...

I'll take increased wii freezes if it means I can improve my sub-par connection.

The one person I know who used one bought it because his connection through the wii was very poor despite his internet connection being much better. He said the wired connection only made a slight improvement, but it may depend on your wii.

I don't have a hard-wired connection. However, I have heard that it does cut down on lag a little with GE online. I've also heard people complain that wii freezes INCREASE with it also...

That sounds like a fishy complaint. 'Less GE is so poorly programmed that the Wii will freeze if you get disconnected from the host/match/internets, I don't see how a wired connection would have any correlation with one's console freezing.

... Not that I would know.

That sounds like a fishy complaint. 'Less GE is so poorly programmed that the Wii will freeze if you get disconnected from the host/match/internets...
It is. Wii freezes and getting booted from the game server are commonplace in goldeneye. It's an unfortunate reality for us :(

So, a disconnect equals a freeze? That's kind'a absurd...

But you would think a ethernet connection would cause less disconnects than a wireless one.

I'll take increased wii freezes if it means I can improve my sub-par connection.
I dunno, having to boot your Wii up again and again every so often would get more tedious than lag, but that's just me.
I've looked around some sites, and the wired connection supposedly makes too little of a difference.
Have you tried a speedier router?

I think that's the ticket. I've always had a wired connection but and when I bought a better router wii freezes were reduced about 75%. The occurrence of lag is random as usual but not too often.

A good router also needs good internet. Just one won't do it if you're really lookin' to minimize the amount'a lag you cause... although a quality router and only decent internet would likely do, yeah. Sound advice Mike.

I dunno, having to boot your Wii up again and again every so often would get more tedious than lag, but that's just me.

Lag is a constant issue that can literally make a game unplayable, whereas restarting the Wii isn't... tedious as it is, I'd much rather deal with freezes. And I do have experience t' support that opinion, as Project: M loved t' freeze every three games for me awhile back.

Yeah, my router is new and able to handle the traffic that goes through it easily. The Wii is really my only device that has had problems. All other devices show great performance. I'd say that I want the hardwired connection for reducing packet loss over anything. It's gotten recently to the point where it takes more of anything to get a kill. Freak stuff where opponents walk though my explosives, I have to melee three or more times, or it takes over a clip to put someone down has been pretty normal recently. The Wii is right next to the router, so I'm checking this out to see if anything improves. It's a cheap investment, anyway, so worth it for a try.

Yeah, my router is new and able to handle the traffic that goes through it easily. The Wii is really my only device that has had problems. All other devices show great performance. I'd say that I want the hardwired connection for reducing packet loss over anything. It's gotten recently to the point where it takes more of anything to get a kill. Freak stuff where opponents walk though my explosives, I have to melee three or more times, or it takes over a clip to put someone down has been pretty normal recently. The Wii is right next to the router, so I'm checking this out to see if anything improves. It's a cheap investment, anyway, so worth it for a try.

I know exactly what you mean. I have been screaming at my tv "I MELEED HIM 4 EFFING TIMES" and I still die. Its actually a little nice to know its not just me lol. Let me know how the hard wired connection works for you.

It also helps when you pay for your own internet and router, and don't try to mooch off the neighbors' internet ;-) LOL

Back