How do I copy a file from Wii memory to an SD memory card?

WiiLoveIt

WiiChat Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hi,

How do I copy a file (like "Wii Sports") from the Wii internal memory to an external SD memory card?

I have a Nintendo SD memory card in my Wii but cannot figure out how to do it.

I went under the "Data Management" section on my Wii & all you can look at is the Wii internal memory. There is no mention of the SD memory card (even though it is blank).

And when I chose "Wii Sports" in the "Data Management" section it just asks me if I want to "Erase" & there is no mention of a "Copy" feature like the Wii Manual says...

Do I need to "format" my SD memory card somehow?

Is there something wrong with my Wii?

Will someone please tell me, step by step, how to copy a file (like "Wii Sports") from my Wii internal memory to my SD memory card?

I have never done it before.

Thanks for the help.

go to the settings, then go to memory, then Wii/sd card, and from there it will show your wii's memory and sd's memory, just click and copy...

next time though, read up on the manual, it does wonders and saves time... not to mention anytime soon a flamer will stop by and pwn you harshly

Hi,

I first want to say that I did, in fact, read the manual over & over...

But when I "go to the settings, then go to memory" there is no "Wii/sd card" -- Just a "Wii"...

(If by settings you mean "Data Management")

And also when I click on my "Wii Sports" file I just get an "Erase" option & NOT a "Copy" option like the Wii Manual states.

Please help.

WiiLoveIt said:
Hi,

I first want to say that I did, in fact, read the manual over & over...

But when I "go to the settings, then go to memory" there is no "Wii/sd card" -- Just a "Wii"...

(If by settings you mean "Data Management")

And also when I click on my "Wii Sports" file I just get an "Erase" option & NOT a "Copy" option like the Wii Manual states.

Please help.
do you have an sd card? what brand, cuz if so, you may have one of those brands that cant be detected, check out the nintendo site and do a search for SD cards, they have a list of what brands work

Hi,

I went to the Nintendo website & eventually found this -->

"Copy Data to an SD Card
Important note: To save Wii console data (such as saved games, Messages, etc.) you must first connect your Wii console online and download the System Update. For more information on connecting your Wii console online, please click here"

I haven't connected my Wii online & don't see why I should have to to save game progress files to my Wii.

GameCube never was that way...

Is there any way around this?...

Thanks for any help.

WiiLoveIt said:
Hi,

I went to the Nintendo website & eventually found this -->

"Copy Data to an SD Card
Important note: To save Wii console data (such as saved games, Messages, etc.) you must first connect your Wii console online and download the System Update. For more information on connecting your Wii console online, please click here"

I haven't connected my Wii online & don't see why I should have to to save game progress files to my Wii.

GameCube never was that way...

Is there any way around this?...

Thanks for any help.
so wait, you dont want to save memory onto your wii? there is plenty of space, Legend of Zelda only takes up 1 block, and I so far have maybe 2066 blocks remaining and Ive got a few VC titles and 3 Wii game saves

Hi,

I would also like the option of saving files to an SD memory card too...

I've had computers crash on me before & I was VERY glad that I had made backup files beforehand!!!

Is there any way around visiting Nintendo online to activate the "Save on SD memory card" option?

Thanks.

WiiLoveIt said:
Hi,

I would also like the option of saving files to an SD memory card too...

I've had computers crash on me before & I was VERY glad that I had made backup files beforehand!!!

Is there any way around visiting Nintendo online to activate the "Save on SD memory card" option?

Thanks.
you have to do it with an internet connection to the wii

You need to perform a Wii system update. The stock firmware that comes with your Wii does not have the ability; the first firmware update enabled the copy to SD card option. If you didn't update, you won't get the option.

Back