how to play roms on wii

Status
Not open for further replies.
gamechaser001 said:
The only reason why it is illegal to run ROMS and emulators is because there is no proof that you own the game, so how is nintendo supposed to know that you own the game or not? Now what i don't understand is, if I own the game for the console it's meant for, if I go somewhere, how can I legally play the game on a portable console? And even if they did sell the same game for a portable console, why pay for the same game twice?

if you didnt create the rom yourself then it is illegal because it goes against copyrights law.

gamechaser001 said:
Well what about games like Diddy kong and 007 since Nintendo wont put up the cash to get the rights to (games Nintendo should still own) so if you are playing TOMS your never see on the Wii Im fine with it but games like Mario Kart and Zelda buy the games.

wii doesnt have any homebrews yet.. the only way to play emulators is with gamecube ported emulators and there arent any N64 ported on the gamecube.. i doubt goldeneye007 will be release.. even on a pc there are some glitches so i doubt nintendo could make a good emulator to run it.. they cant even get mario kart to run perfect.

let me see if i got right.

will i be able to play backup gamecube disks on the original wii (without modchips) ?

You can, using the Gamecube method as detailed above

anekin007 said:
gamechaser001 said:
Well what about games like Diddy kong and 007 since Nintendo wont put up the cash to get the rights to (games Nintendo should still own) so if you are playing TOMS your never see on the Wii Im fine with it but games like Mario Kart and Zelda buy the games.

wii doesnt have any homebrews yet.. the only way to play emulators is with gamecube ported emulators and there arent any N64 ported on the gamecube.. i doubt goldeneye007 will be release.. even on a pc there are some glitches so i doubt nintendo could make a good emulator to run it.. they cant even get mario kart to run perfect.
Hey, I didn't say that, JarrodDRagon did, so I don't know why you quoted it saying I said it

As for running ROMS on the Wii, possible or not, legal or not, whatever or not, the quality of the ROM won't be the quality of what you get from shop Wii shop channel, I say this out of experience, I ran into ROM trouble myself, just pay for the game, and for the games that come from RARE, i'm pretty sure that someting will go through, or they will make some kind of software portal to those game or something, it's not like nintendo to leave us out in the cold like that, metaphorically speaking of course, nintendo wouldn't have us freeze our a**es off, lol

Last edited:
Nintendo has always done everything in their power to give the costomers what they want and have NEVER been greedy about it. Roms suck and can occasionally crash systems, including affect other files on the sd card. I would definitely suggest NOT trying this method, it really sucks if the file is damaged or damages other software on your Wii. I would just buy the game, guarenteed to work, great prices, and above all else it doesn't leave you at risk of damaging your system. Believe me I've done enough of it to know what CAN happen....:idea:

-Marcus

Zanatos said:
Nintendo has always done everything in their power to give the costomers what they want and have NEVER been greedy about it. Roms suck and can occasionally crash systems, including affect other files on the sd card. I would definitely suggest NOT trying this method, it really sucks if the file is damaged or damages other software on your Wii. I would just buy the game, guarenteed to work, great prices, and above all else it doesn't leave you at risk of damaging your system. Believe me I've done enough of it to know what CAN happen....:idea:

-Marcus

dont say anything unless you try it.. most of the time its not the rom that made the game crash its ususally the cpu.. most of the emulators for pc runs pretty much perfect. most roms are check and are good. all the roms i played have always been good and i played plenty of them.. the emulators are ported for gamecube and the wii reads the emulator as a gamecube file its been out for 2 months and there hasnt been any problems with it.. also remember the games in vc are emulated also.. dont be surprise when n64 games come out and there are glitches.. some of n64 emulator have glitches and so far with the mario kart 64 release there is already glitches from the emulator in the vc wii.

anekin007 said:
dont say anything unless you try it.. most of the time its not the rom that made the game crash its ususally the cpu.. most of the emulators for pc runs pretty much perfect. most roms are check and are good. all the roms i played have always been good and i played plenty of them.. the emulators are ported for gamecube and the wii reads the emulator as a gamecube file its been out for 2 months and there hasnt been any problems with it.. also remember the games in vc are emulated also.. dont be surprise when n64 games come out and there are glitches.. some of n64 emulator have glitches and so far with the mario kart 64 release there is already glitches from the emulator in the vc wii.

Other than the inability to save ghost data, what other glitches exist?

saving ghost data is not really glitch.. just poor programming.. check out youtube theres a couple post with different stages where everything is in super fast speed when your playing with 3+ players on some of the stages. same glitches with a pc emulator but on a pc emulator u can adjust some settings and get it to run correctly. im guessing the only n64 games that will release will be the same ones that run near perfect for pc unless nintendo improves the emulator on the wii..

anekin007 said:
saving ghost data is not really glitch.. just poor programming.. check out youtube theres a couple post with different stages where everything is in super fast speed when your playing with 3+ players on some of the stages. same glitches with a pc emulator but on a pc emulator u can adjust some settings and get it to run correctly. im guessing the only n64 games that will release will be the same ones that run near perfect for pc unless nintendo improves the emulator on the wii..
saving ghost data is not really glitch.. just poor programming
it's neither, if you read correctly on the emulator, is says no controller pak (I believe that is what it is called) is inserted in the 1st player controller, usually when you play an N64 game, when you save a game, it saves to the game cartridge, some games require you to get a controller pak (or whatever it is called) to save some things to, as of right now, i'm guessing there is no way to emulate the storage space that would usually be saved to the controller pak, and since there is no "controller pak", it can't save, therefore it can't save the ghost, as for other glitches, I haven't noticed any, as a matter of fact, I ran the ROM of it before and the ROM had more problems then what the VC copy did, I haven't noticed a single glitch

Last edited:
the pc emulator never ran perfect theres glitches.. i just thought that ninty would have got it running perfect it just cracks me up to see the fast speed glitches as i seen in many homebrew ports of the emulator. i been running the mario kart 64 recently to test out the wiimote and glovepie on my computer and it ran pretty good.. most of the time its the cpu and video card that is used.

I see you still don't get it. Hacking is wrong, homebrew is a waste of time unless you are ACTUALLY going to do something constructive with it. Can't wait to see you run through Wii's like water. Oh, and by the way, I HAVE tried it and it SUCKS, that's why I don't do it anymore, official is better and that's all there is to it. So I would hope to either see your labor go into something that everyone can use or get out of your perants basement and find a real job, sorry bud, no more time to talk, I myself work 88 hours a week, thank goodness for internet across america!:ee5k: Please don't take this the wrong way, you seem like a nice person, I just hate to see people not doing anything with their lives. Hell, I started out on the street when I was 17 and just a few years later I've got my own place, pretty nice car, and started up my own business all on my own!!!You don't want to be like this>:mad2: when you're older and realize you should have done something else when you were young, I have a brother whose over 30 and is well you know.......:eek:ut:

p.s. best of luck!

-Marcus

So i'm guessing that we are all in agreement that ROMS suck, correct? So the best advice I can give is just buy what we can off of VC, and sign petitions on what games should be included, I mean, if nintendo puts out a whole bunch of games that the public dosen't like, they aren't going to make that many sales, in other words, if Nintendo wants to keep their customers, they're going to give them what they want, am I wrong?

Anyway, ROMS suck, it's not worth hacking, end of story

There in no law regarding stating that you cannot own a retro game ROM. If there were, Nintendo would not exist. (Nintendo owns ROMs of their Retro Games, and have been distributing them over the internet for quite a while.)

You can upload ROMs onto your Wii, but:
-you need to confirm that the ROM is in proper formatting,
-you need to be sure your Wii can play the game (Call Of Duty MW3 won't work), and
-you must recognize Trial-and-Error (It won't work the first time.)
I've used ROMs quite a bit. I've not received a notification from Nintendo restricting ROM usage. (It helps to inform them of it BEFORE you install a ROM. Makes it easier for the Wii to recognize the software. Note the fact that I strongly disagree with the suggestion of using Wii Point Code Generators. They are just plain scams.

Urgh dont bump age old threads.

ROM files are ilegal unless you dumped them your self

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back