How to unlock Mario Kart Lightning Cup

marc5

WiiChat Member
Jul 29, 2013
United States
I am a brand new member and this is my first post. I have read a number of blogs on line and have tried a couple, but yet my son and I still cannot unlock the last cup. Under multiplayer we set the number of races to two and placed 1st and 2nd (leaf cup) in both races. This did not open the last cup. My son, under single player mode, set the number of races to two and placed 1st (leaf cup) and this did not unlock the last cup. Do we have to do all 4 tracks under the leaf cup and place 1st, 2nd or 3rd? Do we have to do single or multi player? Also, we set the difficulty to easy and we tried all the above only for the 50cc class. Please provide any advise. We have had Mario Kart for some time now and have unlocked all cups except the last one - lightning cup. I have read stuff on Mirror Cup as well. Of course we have not opened this yet either. Did not know this was on the game until going online and researching how to open the lightning cup. Thanks for the help.

To unlock the Lightning Cup you will need to choose "Grand Prix". Choose either 50cc, 100cc, or 150cc(depending on which one you want to unlock it in). You will now need to win at least 3rd place in the Shell Cup, Banana Cup and Leaf Cup. Once you have completed those races (winning any color trophy in each) you should have unlocked the Lightning Cup.

Back