#human cloning

smartypants

WiiChat Member
Mar 22, 2007
UK
Something random

:) just been watching a film where cloning was the subject and it got me thinking.
If you was cloned would the clone be 100% you as you are now, the scientific answer is yes but what about the mind, that can not be you as it's impossible for it to be in two places at once is it not.

Weird

i'am going to go lay down now.

Uh no, it's a scientific fact that you can't clone yourself to be exactly as you are as in the same age and thoughts/memories as far as we know. That's all sci-fi you hear about the memories thing.

Maybe you could come close by cloning yourself as a baby, but that's about it.

Clones are like twins, just like twins they're their own person. They don't think exactly alike, they just have similar genetic makeup.

Last edited:
ShinyDialga said:
SPAM right I dono if this is spam

no this is spam

cookbook.jpg

En4Neo said:
Clones are like twins, just like twins they're their own person. They don't think exactly alike, they just have similar genetic makeup.

:smilewinkgrin: yes of course, i see you are right.

NOOOO.... We lost him. Media = not the truth. :nonod:

and clones are different than twins. Twins develop after separation still.

Brawny said:
NOOOO.... We lost him. Media = not the truth. :nonod:

and clones are different than twins. Twins develop after separation still.

That's why I said, "like", not exactly.

they have cloned sheep, now say a sheep will live 7 years, and u clone it in year 3 of it's life, then the clone will alone live for 5 years, because it is a clone, has the same health issues etc...

but see you can alter certain genetic qualities of the clone, rendering any health issues away, so it could live a longer life. dont remember where i heard they were able to do that, but I do indeed remember it.

There is a cell that develops in the embrio of females that help with cloning. We were talking about this in class. Its sopose to replicate ANY cell in the body. Only thing is.. to get that cell an embrio must be destroyed. Its all linked somehow, but I think cloning is just plain wrong. If cloning ever does come into play with humans.. were going to be dealing with alot of crap.

Gaz said:
they have cloned sheep, now say a sheep will live 7 years, and u clone it in year 3 of it's life, then the clone will alone live for 5 years, because it is a clone, has the same health issues etc...
The sheep they cloned, Dolly, did die earlyer but to elaborate on this comment it wasn't "health issues" it was the length of the telomeres on the chromosomes that was the problem. Telomeres are the disposable buffers that disintegrates as we progress through life. Once our telomeres are gone, our DNA slowly disintegrates (in a nut shell :)) When the sheep was cloned, the clone recieved chromosomes that were already missing a large portion of the telomeres because the cloning took place later in the sheep's life. It would have been fine had the sheep been cloned as a baby.

Oh and Darkonix, i believe the cell's u are refering to are the stem cells. And they can get these from bone marrow and from an umbilical cord now. Neither of these process require you to destroy and embrio. :)

Kelso said:
The sheep they cloned, Dolly, did die earlyer but to elaborate on this comment it wasn't "health issues" it was the length of the telomeres on the chromosomes that was the problem. Telomeres are the disposable buffers that disintegrates as we progress through life. Once our telomeres are gone, our DNA slowly disintegrates (in a nut shell :)) When the sheep was cloned, the clone recieved chromosomes that were already missing a large portion of the telomeres because the cloning took place later in the sheep's life. It would have been fine had the sheep been cloned as a baby.

Oh and Darkonix, i believe the cell's u are refering to are the stem cells. And they can get these from bone marrow and from an umbilical cord now. Neither of these process require you to destroy and embrio. :)

ah ty for info, thats right Stem cells! Very correct.

np :)... im kinda a nerd like that... science, math, etc lol. i think the topic of cloning is really neat tho, im not sure that im for or against it. :idea: I'm all for advancments in medicine and science, and stem cells will allow us to clone not just whole humans but any necessary organs individually. It has already been done with islets of langerhan in the pancreas, which cured diabetes in the patient. It is still extremely expirimental but if we did decided to start cloning individual organs... i dunno its just mind boggling... no more waitting lists for heart transplants. I mostly suport this idea, its the cloning of entire individuals that i'm not sure i support... i just don't really see the point.

Back