IBM email (wii processor, etc)

vagrant said:
This pretty much supports blips ignorant comment. Do you have any idea how little it costs to write an email and forward it out to every employee in the database? Virtually nothing, seeing as how whoever actually wrote it was on the clock anyways. And no, that is very much so being logical, by definition even.

He wrote that, not me

however in support of his comment about the email costing money, it did take time to write the email, and they paid the guy for his time, but I do agree, it still costs next to nothing

Last edited:
I figured that this would be the responses of everyone, because they are looking at it as just some corporate no face email

Also I think it's funny how random 'computer science' people are given authority on these things over the vice president of the burlington IBM plant

he is not some CEO fat cat writing 'propaganda' he is just a guy in a leadership position at a plant that is manufacturing the technology of the future

my dad works under him and forwarded the email to me because he thought it was cool that the plant had made all the chips for the 3 next gen systems (just like the rest of the employees would think it was cool, just like you would think it was cool if it was your work place, and maybe send such a message to your coworkers?), and thought I would share, I now see that it was a bad idea because people have a misconception of the purpose of the email

i still think it is cool :wtf:

Last edited:
fiveryanfrenzy said:
I figured that this would be the responses of everyone, because they are looking at it as just some corporate no face email

Also I think it's funny how random 'computer science' people are given authority on these things over the vice president of the burlington IBM plant

he is not some CEO fat cat writing 'propaganda' he is just a guy in a leadership position at a plant that is manufacturing the technology of the future

Just because he is some vice president doesn't mean he has computer engineering knowledge. Seriously, and this isn't meant to be rude, but take some time to research on processors and you discover that he is wrong.

The only thing console processors excel in is parallel processing over PCs, PC processors are built differently and made in such a way that it can process a wide variety of stuff effectively, console processors aren't.

xbandaidx said:
Just because he is some vice president doesn't mean he has computer engineering knowledge. Seriously, and this isn't meant to be rude, but take some time to research on processors and you discover that he is wrong.

The only thing console processors excel in is parallel processing over PCs, PC processors are built differently and made in such a way that it can process a wide variety of stuff effectively, console processors aren't.

the details of the processors are not open to the public

the specs that are open are not enough information to make such a judgement

I have emailed my dad asking about the statement that has been in question here the most:

Consumers now have
more computing power plugged into their televisions than they have in the
PCs sitting on their desks.

I asked for some support or if he thinks this guy is just full of it, so hopefully here soon we'll see either way, I'm still banking that they know something on the inside that we don't know out here, computer science proffesional or not

fiveryanfrenzy said:
the details of the processors are not open to the public

the specs that are open are not enough information to make such a judgement

Read this over again.

"The only thing console processors excel in is parallel processing over PCs, PC processors are built differently and made in such a way that it can process a wide variety of stuff effectively, console processors aren't."

You don't need to know any specs to state that answer I did above, graphic systems are only effective using that type of processing, none other. Plus console processors don't need the varieity of different math calculation abilities such as PC processors which contain ALU (arithmetic logic unit).

Update:

It's known that the processor in the Wii is a modified PowerPC processor using the Power Architecture designed by IBM. The information about IBM's architecture can be found pretty much anywhere on the net (ie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Architecture ) the only thing is that it's modifed for the Wii.

Taking an example, Apple switched over to Intel processors because the PowerPC architecure just wasn't cutting it anymore, and the fact that IBM just didn't care anymore enough to make it any better, because of that we (mac users) started getting heating issues with their processors. The Power Mac had to use a liquid cooling solution because they were so damn hot.

Apple, a hardware and software company, announced that Intel offered more performance than any IBM PowerPC could offer today, not to mention dual core.

Console processors ARE NOT more powerful than modern day x86 processors.

Last edited:
blah blah blah

if you don't think it's cool

then drop it

continue to the next topic

and settle in there for a while

it's been fun

Whats cool about it?

Its just a company e-mail stating to everyone they did a wonderful job on their partnerships with console makers, and everyone is getting a free meal.

lol i dont know about that bolded part i make computers and your telling me that a pc with a intel conroe core 2 extreme with a nvidia 8800 graphics card and 2 gigs of ram is no match power wise by any of the new consoles is bogus and makes me laugh...

nizmoboy98 said:
lol i dont know about that bolded part i make computers and your telling me that a pc with a intel conroe core 2 extreme with a nvidia 8800 graphics card and 2 gigs of ram is no match power wise by any of the new consoles is bogus and makes me laugh...

It'd be interesting if they could come up with some form of benchmark to compare a game on the PS3 and the same game on a PC with the specs you defined. However due to a number of factors it wouldn't be a very good benchmark to take any consideration of.

xbandaidx said:
It'd be interesting if they could come up with some form of benchmark to compare a game on the PS3 and the same game on a PC with the specs you defined. However due to a number of factors it wouldn't be a very good benchmark to take any consideration of.

yea that would be kind of interesting to see that the only way that i can think of is you can probably compare them buy fps. as all console games tells you how many frames per sec the game is running at at an average . and you can install a the program that tells you your frame per sec on a pc. on one of my computers i get any where from 50-60fps on foot in bf2 and in a chopper or car i get anywhere from 80-100+fps and thas with a budget card

back on the topic of the new consoles having more power than our PCs, we wouldnt know, take for example the new duo2 chips, one of those at 1.8ghz will out-do any 3.2ghz and so on, the internal workings of the chips can be totally different, say for example, the chip in the Wii might process 2-3 times more instructions per clock cycle than the average pc chip, making it faster, but then again it comes to what pc you are comparing it to also..so its not really fair to say either are right or wrong, but we will never know, look at the ps3, 3.2ghz..thats faster than the average pc

rare177 said:
back on the topic of the new consoles having more power than our PCs, we wouldnt know, take for example the new duo2 chips, one of those at 1.8ghz will out-do any 3.2ghz and so on, the internal workings of the chips can be totally different, say for example, the chip in the Wii might process 2-3 times more instructions per clock cycle than the average pc chip, making it faster, but then again it comes to what pc you are comparing it to also..so its not really fair to say either are right or wrong, but we will never know, look at the ps3, 3.2ghz..thats faster than the average pc

It has been said before, you cannot measure a processor's power on sheer speed. My Dell Axim x50v runs at 600 Mhz. Is it more powerful than a Intel Pentium processor at 400 Mhz?? The answer is NO, if you plug that processor into my Desktop it will probably take 1,000 more cycles to do a task that the Pentium does in one cycle.

Last edited:
Back