if Wii is turned off during update?

Rhys89

WiiChat Member
Feb 4, 2007
Well it's been about 5 hours since I started the update and the progress bar hasn't moved at all for the last 3 hours, I don't think it is supposed to take this long as I haven't heard of any complaints about this. Is there any way to end the update other than shutting the system off? And if it is turned off would it mess up the system?
Thanks

It may be your internet connection, but I don't know if you should do that anyway.

Well It's using a wireless connection but so does my computer and the internet is working fine through it.

It shouldn't take 5 hours. I updated mine via wireless and took less than 1 hr. Maybe your Wii has frozen. I know mine froze twice in 3 weeks (during game play). Not sure what to do during "updates". Have you tried the "search" on this site to see if anyone else had this problem?

Longest update for me has been about 2 minutes and that was right at the beginning when it did two or three major updates plus channel downloads...............

You can hold the power button on the Wii for few seconds...i made this and have no problem. Just restart your update. In my case, it takes 2 hours and half. But i have a 56k connection.

have also experienced same issue some times. Maybe their servers froze. As i couldnt power or reset off, i disconnect the power cord and connect it again and resumed download.

I had it happen once when I first got the Wii. Just restart using your Wii remote, or turn the power off.

do these steps in order,

1. Shut off Wii by holding power button, try remote first, then on the console itself, if the power button is red or orange, restart console

2. log into router, change the wireless setting to either B only or both B&G, both B&G seems to work better

3. while you are logged into the router, change your wireless channel to 1 or automatic, log out of router

4. do an internet connection test, if it passes, refuse update

5. open shop channel (this is the REAL test, this is where all connection errors happen), if it passes and plays the shopping music, quit to Wii menu

6. re-update

if you still have problems, go through the list again and try different wireless channels and try the other B&G modes, if none of them work, change it back to how it was originally and call Nintendo

3 hours seems a bit long, but right after I got my Wii I needed to get two updates that each took at least an hour, and at various points it seemed as if it was frozen, but eventually it finished.

Back