Is Microsoft arrogant?

MasterJedi2U

Banned
Jan 28, 2007
Durham, NC
Wii Online Code
5251-2094-6508-9892
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/04/microsoft-defends-120gb-xbox-hdd-price/

See as much I like Microsoft I can't say I LOVE Microsoft because some of the things I hear from its employees mouths make me feel sick. Plus their pricing scheme does seem a bit excessive in the accesories area. Like this external Hard Drive thing they're talking about in the article. Oh well if anyone could give me their opinions that would be nice. I'm so torn about whether to get an Elite or Premium. How do I know that they won't f*ck us over in 2 years and bring out "Zenith" or "Optimum" models with a HD DVD drive and better graphics?

*EDIT*: For once Joystiq posted something relevant instead of their endless articles on why Microsoft or Nintendo sucks.

YES they are. I work in IT fixing junk MS products and let me just tell you the arrogance starts from the top.

In a recent interview with Bill G in Newsweek or Business Week, the interviewer brought up Mac OS X and how it's security is superior to Windows (it was a very good point and presented in a nonthreatening way). He went on about how people hack and take over OS X every day and dared people to do that once a year with Windows. Sorry, Bill - the reality is that Windows gets hacked every SECOND.

MS is very very arrogant in all their business dealings as well. Instead of partnering, they pretty much tell you how it's going to be. Why? They realize they are the only game in town for many.

That's why I always recommend people buy Macs and use OSS (Linux) in the server room.

It's why I own a Mac and a Wii and would never buy a 360 - I'd buy a PS3 if I wanted a HD rig. You have to teach MS they are nothing special (they are not).

Its nice how they **** us over: Allow me to demonstrate

299 (core) + 20 gig drive (100) = 399 (premium)

399 (premium) + 120 gig drive (179) = 479 (elite)

479 (elite) + 65nm upgrade = 399

As you can see for those that haven't picked up a 360 yet....the best thing would be to wait for the 65nm chip upgrade. It sucks major balls to do so because I really wanted to get a 360 when the elite comes out but by analyzing there marketing strategy if you go for the lowest end model and purchase the upgrades you might as well get the higher end model, and this ideology continues up the economic ladder until you find yourself buying the highest end model because its the most bang for your buck...but is it really?

I myself am torn on the issue, hell if these kind of trends continue i might as well get a PS3 for my HD experience...something i told myself i would never do :frown2: :confused:

MasterJedi2U said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/04/microsoft-defends-120gb-xbox-hdd-price/

See as much I like Microsoft I can't say I LOVE Microsoft because some of the things I hear from its employees mouths make me feel sick. Plus their pricing scheme does seem a bit excessive in the accesories area. Like this external Hard Drive thing they're talking about in the article. Oh well if anyone could give me their opinions that would be nice. I'm so torn about whether to get an Elite or Premium. How do I know that they won't f*ck us over in 2 years and bring out "Zenith" or "Optimum" models with a HD DVD drive and better graphics?

*EDIT*: For once Joystiq posted something relevant instead of their endless articles on why Microsoft or Nintendo sucks.
new models wouldnt come out with hddvd probably cause hddvd is loosing
and new MODELS wouldnt come out with better graphics, or they wouldnt be under the 360 name..
also premimum comes with a arcade game, component cables, wireless controller, and headset

itguy07 said:
YES they are. I work in IT fixing junk MS products and let me just tell you the arrogance starts from the top.

In a recent interview with Bill G in Newsweek or Business Week, the interviewer brought up Mac OS X and how it's security is superior to Windows (it was a very good point and presented in a nonthreatening way). He went on about how people hack and take over OS X every day and dared people to do that once a year with Windows. Sorry, Bill - the reality is that Windows gets hacked every SECOND.

MS is very very arrogant in all their business dealings as well. Instead of partnering, they pretty much tell you how it's going to be. Why? They realize they are the only game in town for many.

That's why I always recommend people buy Macs and use OSS (Linux) in the server room.

It's why I own a Mac and a Wii and would never buy a 360 - I'd buy a PS3 if I wanted a HD rig. You have to teach MS they are nothing special (they are not).

I used to work for Dell computers and Microsoft does stink they over price everything specially their office software. My next computer will be a Mac Besides that wasn't Vista hacked in less than 2 days of being out? If people start buying Macs and they get enough customers over to Apple then Microsoft will wake up, but until then people will keep buying Windows based computers because either A. Thats all they know how to work with or B Macs are expensive and customers don't want to spend the extra money

blogman54 said:
I used to work for Dell computers and Microsoft does stink they over price everything specially their office software. My next computer will be a Mac Besides that wasn't Vista hacked in less than 2 days of being out? If people start buying Macs and they get enough customers over to Apple then Microsoft will wake up, but until then people will keep buying Windows based computers because either A. Thats all they know how to work with or B Macs are expensive and customers don't want to spend the extra money
macs are overpriced if anything
a lot of people like PCs for the freedom
i would never like a mac

dds said:
Its nice how they **** us over: Allow me to demonstrate

299 (core) + 20 gig drive (100) = 399 (premium)

399 (premium) + 120 gig drive (179) = 479 (elite)

479 (elite) + 65nm upgrade = 399

the premium also comes with a wireless controller and headset so its not a core with just an HDD

the elite comes with everything the premium comes with but its black, has a $180 120 gig HDD, and an HDMI port(with HDMI Cable which is like $30 for a good one) so all that total would be almost $600 worth of stuff ($300 system + $180 HDD + $50 wireless controller + $20 headset + $20-$30 HDMI Cable = $580 + Tax) for only $480. also MS said the 65nm systems arnt coming out untill mid to late 2008 so happy waiting lol

Mitch2025 said:
also MS said the 65nm systems arnt coming out untill mid to late 2008 so happy waiting lol

**** man are you serious!?!?!?! Can you provide proof of this statement from microsoft. If so ill just pick up the elite and get the extended warranty from bestbuy or futureshop

In regards to your comment about value....i would have to agree with you....the elite does come with a sh*t load of cables and extras

Last edited:
dds said:
**** man are you serious!?!?!?! Can you provide proof of this statement from microsoft. If so ill just pick up the elite and get the extended warranty from bestbuy or futureshop

In regards to your comment about value....i would have to agree with you....the elite does come with a **** load of cables and extras

What does thte 65nm thing do? And I'm with you. I don't know if I can wait that long for it. Anyways I do think the Elite is a good price when compared to the p$3 but the fact that its not using the latest HDMI port/cable or w/e kinda bugs me. Plus there are other things that its supposedly lacking which may make hold off on it. Although I don't want to.

As for Microsoft being arrogant I think they sometimes can be. But they are the market leader and I personally prefer PC to Mac anyday of the week. Macs are just plain ugly to me and they work very strangely. I can't handle the way Mac's work. Its just so awkward. The most simple thing such as opening a file seems like a hard chore to me. Maybe its a personal thing. Anyways Microsoft is on top of the world so they are entitled to a little smugness but they need to work on their image. However they are DA SH*T when it comes to making great videogames.

65nm chip is a change form the current 90 nm chip. Basically the smaller you go in size the bigger the price cut of the product and the less heat and noise generated by the machine which ultimately would increase its longevity.

I seriously hope mitch2025 cant come up with proof for his statement because 2008 is just to long to wait to play some gears

Price cut for OLDER models right? The newer ones would be more expensive or the same price I'm guessing? And yeah I also hope mitch is wrong about that 2008 thing cuz thats way too long to wait.

MasterJedi2U said:
Price cut for OLDER models right? The newer ones would be more expensive or the same price I'm guessing? And yeah I also hope mitch is wrong about that 2008 thing cuz thats way too long to wait.
I don't know if Microsoft would have a price cut when this comes out but it would be cheaper for them to produce with the 65nm.

price cut in general....it would cost them less to produce so they wouldnt charge as much for the system. In general the cost would drop about 50 dollars just on the CPU. It could go as high as 80 dollars depending if they cut out some fans and other stuff because

smaller cpu = less heat = less fans to keep it cool = less gadgets inside = less money

Back