It's official, Halo 3 developer no longer exclusive to Microsoft

Squall7

A li'l bit different
May 17, 2006
Cornwall, UK
Wii Online Code
8420-0141-9022-6948
You've heard the rumours, of a split between Bungie and Microsoft. You've had your doubts. Now it's official. Bungie is no longer owned by Microsoft (completely).

Bungie Branches Off

As you have no doubt read on the web today, Microsoft Corp. and Bungie Studios, have reached an unprecedented and exciting agreement – starting immediately, Bungie will become an independent company and will retain a long-term publishing agreement with Microsoft Game Studios for “Halo” titles. The new structure became effective on Oct. 1, 2007. The official blurb follows, but since you’re a valuable part of our community, we thought we’d sum it up simply and concisely.

Bungie has long been built on creativity, originality and the freedom to pursue ideas. Microsoft agreed, and rather than stifle our imagination, they decided it was in both our best interests to unleash it. We’ll continue to make Xbox 360 games, and we’ll continue to make amazing games for MGS. In that regard, nothing has changed. All that has changed is that now Bungie Studios is once again, the property of the folks of Bungie Studios. Microsoft is and will continue to be, a brilliant, inventive and creatively collaborative publishing partner. Practically speaking, nothing has changed and you guys won’t see much, if any difference, for a while unless you come to work for us, that is – we’re hiring at http://www.bungie.net/inside/jobs.aspx

Source: http://www.bungie.net/news/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12834

Unsurprisingly, Microsoft is also retaining ownership of the Halo property (MGS chief Shane Kim calls it "our Halo entertainment property") as well as reserving first crack at publishing any Bungie-developed IP. We're left wondering if Marathon counts as a Halo property or a Bungie property ...

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/05/its-official-bungie-branches-off-from-microsoft/

Good news for all methinks...

this would get me excited,but Nintendo probably doesn't recognize Bungie's worth because you know, people just want easy, accessible, (mini) game (collection)s

samXcor3 said:
this would get me excited,but Nintendo probably doesn't recognize Bungie's worth because you know, people just want easy, accessible, (mini) game (collection)s
I don't think it has anything to do with that. Developers work for a system, not a company. Anyone could develop for the Wii, it's just a case of whether the output is good enough to be on a Nintendo console. Nintendo themselves do not dictate what should or shouldn't "be allowed" on their system. If they did, Manhunt 2 wouldn't even be on the cards.

Also, I think you misunderstand Nintendo's stance. The Wii is for everyone. We only notice those mini games because it's probably the easiest to do, and therefore come out first. Also, to do with the fact that Wii is also being targeted for party games, as well as the hardcore. I know this isn't the section to do this in, but I think you need to understand the nature of the Wii.

I think that it is great news to be completely honest with you. It is not that hate Microsoft or anything along those lines, but it is much better when a developer breaks out on their own.
It allows them to reach a wider gaming audience because they can now choose the formats to develop for, without being given certain directions to follow.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

hmm interesting to see if we'll see bungie break away from the first person shooter genre and still be successful...

paintba||er said:
I don't really have any strong feelings toward this.

I doubt it will happen, but it would be awesome if they started making stuff for Macs again. :)
Yeah, I remember playing the Halo: Combat Evolved on my Mac ages ago. Even if they did make Halo software for the Mac again, I still wouldn't buy it giving I have it on the 360.

samXcor3 said:
if you say so. . .

It doesn't matter if Nintendo recognizes them or not they can still make 3rd party games for whatever console they want.

zapasant93 said:
sound slike good news for nintendo and sony
And also don't forget that Halo will still be a Microsoft exclusive, so there's no risk of 360 fans losing their beloved franchise.

Squall7 said:
And also don't forget that Halo will still be a Microsoft exclusive, so there's no risk of 360 fans losing their beloved franchise.
so, Bungie could just make a game called HOLO and make the main character Mister Chief. :lol:

JAKE196 said:
so, Bungie could just make a game called HOLO and make the main character Mister Chief. :lol:
its not as simple as that... microsoft owns the microsoft universe, by the time you change all the stuff so its different it will be a whole other game.
and bungie bought back their studio, they WANT to make games other than halo..

Back