Mario and Sonic are together at last!

Joe

Banned
Oct 23, 2006
Parker CO
Wii Online Code
5856-5939-3035-0479
UK, March 28, 2007 - Finally the dreams of SEGA and Nintendo fans come true as news hits thats Mario and Sonic are set to star side by side in a new game for Wii and DS, based on the 2008 Olmypics.

SEGA made the historic announcement this morning and confirmed that Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (as it's known) is due for release this Christmas. The game's currently in development by SEGA Japan and Shigeru Miyamoto is supervising the project.

Players compete in events around venues based on official locations for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Featuring a supporting cast of recognisable faces from the world of both Sonic and Mario, players can choose from a range of characters including Luigi, Knuckles, Yoshi, Tails and more.

mario-and-sonic-together-at-last-20070328021656883-000.jpg

It might not be Smash Bros. but at least they're together now.

Innovative use of the Wii and DS control systems are promised, enabling players to race down the 100m track, participate in exhilarating table tennis rallies and churn water in swimming heats to compete for the gold medal.

"Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games," said Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto. "In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?"

"We are thrilled to partner with Nintendo and ISM on this groundbreaking title," said Hisao Oguchi, president and chief operating officer, SEGA. "For the first time, two of the world's greatest games' characters come together to compete in the world's greatest sporting event and we couldn't be more excited."

"The Olympic Games represent the true spirit of competition and passion," said Raymond Goldsmith, chairman and chief executive officer of ISM. "Bringing together intensely competitive and fun characters like Mario and Sonic in an Olympic setting helps showcase the sports of the Olympic Games in a new and compelling way for all generations."

If you hate reading it from Wiichat heres the URL
http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776460p1.html

this must also mean that sonic might be in brawl, considering that SEGA had to get togeather with them to do this! awesome!

I love the concept of this game! hahaha

Are you sure this is real tho, kinda odd to have mario and sonic in the olympics, i hope its not an april fools joke :/

OMFG

This one piece of news reveals so much about the future relationship of Nintendo/Sega...

Thx for this. :D

Just for you doubters, it's from IGN quoting the presidents of both companies....don't think they're just pulling a fast one.

ssbb_lover said:
OMFG

This one piece of news reveals so much about the future relationship of Nintendo/Sega...

Thx for this. :D

Just for you doubters, it's from IGN quoting the presidents of both companies....don't think they're just pulling a fast one.
i know, i trust IGN, but they have pulled our leg before... EGM does it all the time. Remember a few years ago they said Miymoto stated that they will be releasing an updated version of windwaker with awesome graphics?

asdfnick said:
i know, i trust IGN, but they have pulled our leg before... EGM does it all the time. Remember a few years ago they said Miymoto stated that they will be releasing an updated version of windwaker with awesome graphics?
Right, EGM did....not IGN.

ssbb_lover said:
Right, EGM did....not IGN.
i wasnt doubting them in the least , i trust IGN, but its just close to that time of year, and you never know. Oh well, this looks like it is a benchmark in video gaming history!

asdfnick said:
Oh well, this looks like it is a benchmark in video gaming history!
Heh, ya. I guess you could say that....this is either going to be a major hit or major ****; take or leave it. It's not gonna be a sorta in the middle game, it'll either be :eek: or :frown2:

I doubt if Mr Miyamoto is helping making it, it will be bad....I mean come on it just has to be amazing if its true!!!

It could have easily been photoshopped but I am going to think it's not because that would be awesome

asdfnick said:
this must also mean that sonic might be in brawl, considering that SEGA had to get togeather with them to do this! awesome!

I love the concept of this game! hahaha

Are you sure this is real tho, kinda odd to have mario and sonic in the olympics, i hope its not an april fools joke :/

Oh yes this one bit of news will make all the people with hard ons for Sonic that much more convinced that hes in the game....it'll be a very sad day indeed when they confirm that Sonic is in the game (that is IF). As for this Holiday game I think it will be a big sucess and if speaks VOLUMES about Sega and Nintendo's relationship. Do you guys now think Sega is moving into 2nd Party Developer status? I think thats what they should do if they're smart and it would be a great relationship as long as Sega keeps putting out a variety of games for the Wii and NOT just Sonic titles cuz that would get boring after a while.

Sega has put a lot out and will (Super Monkey Ball, Alien Syndrome etc.) not very many exclusives although they are nex-gen exclusives then again most Wiii games are

if you ask me, this can go two ways: 1- sega and nintendo have gotten close in the past months and sonic will be in brawl, plus more sega titles for the wii (hence the revealed Nights game for wii and the numerous VC games). 2 - this is there way of compensating for not having sonic in brawl. at this point im leaning more towards 2.

lloyd_yayo said:
if you ask me, this can go two ways: 1- sega and nintendo have gotten close in the past months and sonic will be in brawl, plus more sega titles for the wii (hence the revealed Nights game for wii and the numerous VC games). 2 - this is there way of compensating for not having sonic in brawl. at this point im leaning more towards 2.

i agree with 2 because i doubt sonic will b in brawl just because sega is making the mario and sonic game not nintendo

and now that i think of this...haha can mario really compete with sonic in anykind of olympic sport???

Back