More Random ****

I agree that churches should have the right to not marry atheists or gays if they don't want to, but at the same time atheists and gays should have every right to a civil marriage, since they are performed by the government rather than religious authorities.

By that logic, shouldn't all marriages be Hindu/Jewish/whichever religion came up with marriage first?

Yeah, so the first thing I'd do as a politician is make civil unions exist everywhere. Opposition is also coming from the gay community though, since they feel like they're being gyped (and under the current laws, they are), and want to be able to call theirs a "real" marriage.

By that logic Jewish marriages should be only for Jews. Atheists can have their own ceremony. I don't see why people want God in their marriage ceremony when God isn't anywhere else in their life.

Yeah, so the first thing I'd do as a politician is make civil unions exist everywhere. Opposition is also coming from the gay community though, since they feel like they're being gyped (and under the current laws, they are), and want to be able to call theirs a "real" marriage.

By that logic Jewish marriages should be only for Jews. Atheists can have their own ceremony. I don't see why people want God in their marriage ceremony when God isn't anywhere else in their life.
I'm not aware of any atheists who particularly want to have God mentioned at their wedding...

Anyway, like I said before, you can just have a marriage ceremony without referring to God.

They can, and it's called a civil union.

Atheists don't try to get Jewish weddings or Muslim weddings, it just so happens that the "traditional" marriage is a Christian one.
Separate but equal will work this time!

I'm not aware of any atheists who particularly want to have God mentioned at their wedding...

Anyway, like I said before, you can just have a marriage ceremony without referring to God.

Our church turns away quite a lot of people who want to get married in it every year.

That'd work fine by me. (y)

Brawny I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say atheists are up in arms about not being able to use God's name in stuff.

Pretty sure it's the other way around: for example Christians would be enraged if "In God We Trust" was taken off of money.

I even got a text telling me not to buy the new patriotic Pepsi can because they didn't include "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance.

Brawny I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say atheists are up in arms about not being able to use God's name in stuff.

Pretty sure it's the other way around: for example Christians would be enraged if "In God We Trust" was taken off of money.

I even got a text telling me not to buy the new patriotic Pepsi can because they didn't include "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance.
Wait, you guys have patriotic Pepsi?

Oh wait, Google to the rescue. Turns out there was no pledge of allegiance on any Pepsi cans: http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/229969_tf227.html

What gets me mad is when places in England don't have decorations and just say **** like 'Happy Holidays' around Christmas time, in case it offends people of other religions.

What gets me mad is the people who complain about stuff like saying, "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" like they get offended because they are of a different religion or not religious. I'm not religious and I'm the biggest Christmas... uh, celebrator?... I know.

It's grating when people get offended when someone calls it "Christmas", but I find it equally amusing how others get in a huff about people not calling it "Christmas".

What gets me mad is when in TV they use the word Xmas instead of Christmas.
There's no anti-religious intent behind that one- the X comes from the Greek letter chi, and is meant to be short for "christ".

What gets me mad is when places in England don't have decorations and just say **** like 'Happy Holidays' around Christmas time, in case it offends people of other religions.

in an unofficial survey a few years back, more Jews and Muslims were more offended by "happy holidays". xD

I know! Which is half of my point! I just forgot to say.

Back