Multi Player Game Info Wanted

tlbenn

WiiChat Member
Feb 26, 2008
I am posting this message in an effort to obtain some decent information about the currently available catalog of Wii Games that support Multi-Player game play. While I am aware that each game is cleverly marked on the back with a number indicating the number of players able to play each game I have found that many (most) games that claim to be multi-player able are in reality, single player games with a few multi player mini-games included. I can only assume that this is a marketing ploy to dupe buyers like me into purchasing these games. In any case it is my hope that I can get some information about current multi-player titles via this post and pass along some of my own findings for those, who like me, are much more interested in purchasing games for my kids (and I) to play together than single player games which cause them to fight over who gets to play.

I am going to list the current “Multi Player” titles I have along with a very brief review of each. I of course will note which are “Real” Multi-Player games and which are just pretending as well as which games are in my opinion worth purchasing.

Listing and Mini Review;

Cars – a one player game with 2 player mini-games. The game itself is cute for younger kids, but is sure to be a dud with the older crowed. Not worth purchasing.

Chicken Little –Ace in Action – This is another game billed as a 2 player game that is really a one player game with some multi-player mini games thrown in. Not a bad game actually, not going to win awards for the best of all time, but for a “Chicken Little” fan it’s fairly amusing. Don’t think I would purchase again knowing it is only a one player game.

Lego Star Wars – So far this appears to the gold standard of multi-player gaming in the Wii universe. This franchise is wonderfully playable and entertaining for young kids and there parents alike. The only knock on this game is that it is way too similar to its earlier xbox brethren and that it makes all other multi-player games I have scene for the Wii look awful. If Lego Star Wars can be full 2 player interactive why can’t other developers do it? Here’s to Lego Star Wars expanding the franchise and giving us some new games to play! Buy at all costs.

Mario Party 8 – a true multi-player game, not really my favorite but it is fully interactive and enjoyable enough. Since the game uses a board game play format where players compete in mini-game competitions I hardly feel this is a true “multi-player” game, but since it is one of the few 4 player games I found I figure I should be happy with that. Solid game worth purchasing if you like Mario.

Shrek the Third – Should be renamed Shrek the Turd, not my favorite game. Another great example of misleading labeling as this is not a multiplayer game but a single player game with multi-player mini games that are billed as “Boring” by my two sons. The game itself is not that enjoyable and that was a shock to me because in my opinion the previous Shrek releases (for xbox) were really, really enjoyable. Not worth purchasing.

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity- Again the base game is single player and there are “mini-games” that allow for multi player action. I cut this game some slack since the mini-games are pretty detailed and support four players and are entertaining enough so that you don’t feel like your playing the mini-game and not the real game when your playing them. All and all however I wish they would just write the darn thing with two players in mind as the graphics, story and game play seem pretty darn good. Worth purchasing.

Sonic and Mario Olympic Games – The depths I am forced to go to find multiplayer capability. This game actually has full multiplayer ability, though we still have the Wii annoying player 1 rules the world thing going on, but for the rest of the game everyone plays and that is good. Designed for up to four players the game simulates Olympic events with Sonic and Mario Characters, the best concept….no. Entertaining….for younger kids yes. Some of the games however seem to be either too hard, too easy or too boring. Not a great game. Close call as to weather or not it is worth purchasing, I’m still not sure.

Spiderman (friend or foe) – One of the better multiplayer games I found, game can be played solo, but calls for a “sidekick” on all missions which allows for 2player multi-play of the whole game. The game is set up as being main player-centric, calling for the main player to select his sidekick and choose the mission but after the mission starts the 2nd player gets full game rights, which of course go away after the mission ends, but other than that its not bad. Game controls are predictable and the action is a bit rudimentary but the platform (which I am sure has been used a bunch of places before) is solid, fun and enjoyable. Worth purchasing.

WiiPlay – Multi-Player, but lacking in real Wow or fun, the upside is that you get a free controller with purchase, and the games are good for beginners to learn to use controllers. Worth purchasing if only for the free Wiimote.

WiiSports – Maybe the best freebee game ever produced, tons of fun , 4 player availability, just a great game.

Hopefully you find this listing informative (some of the points are obvious to any Wii owner I know). If you know of any true multi player games not above I would love to hear about them.

Thanks.

Many people, judging by your game library, would label you as a 'casual gamer'. Most 'good' multiplayer games will probably be more fun for a 'hardcore' gamer, but here are a few:

Super Mario Strikers Charged - Now Available
Battalion Wars 2 - Now Available
Medal of Honor Heroes 2 - Now Available
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - March 9
Mario Kart Wii - [Rumoured] April 2

In bold are what I, among others, consider to be the best two multiplayer games that will be on the wii for quite a long time. Some may even go as far to say that they will be the best games the wii will ever recieved, and both will definetly be candidates for 'Game of the Year 2008.'

Another fun multiplayer game would be WarioWare: Smooth Moves, which is also now available. It puts the gamer against their opponent in a wide variety of extremely short 'micro games' which attempt to use the wii-remote to its full potential.

Have fun.

i think op means the games u can play locally multiplayer only. nice list. also, u might wanna put marvel ultimate alliance ecause it is way better than spiderman friend or foe and its four player. a very good "hardcore" multiplayer game.

Hey OP is Chicken Little worth buying? Is it similar to the ratchet and clank series, if youve ever played that? I heard it was but i am skeptical of its entertainment value.

Feedback Appreciated...

Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Smash Brothers and Mario Kart I will check them all out and see which look worthwhile (right off the bat I am encouraged at the thought of Marvel Alliance wich I looked at but wanted some opinions on before buying). Thanks for the recommendations. For the record Levesqueking my "collection" is a bit pedestrian but it belongs to my kids moreso than me, since they are on the young side I shy away from games with too much realistic violence (but have no problems when superhero's beat the tar out of one another).

Also since I took a shot at the Chicken Little Space Ace title without really playing which was not all that fair, I decided I should pop it in and give it a try, as it works out it is a pretty decent one player game afterall. Graphics are pretty decent, story line acceptable for younger players, I was surprised at how entertaining it is. May even decide to pop it in for my own entertainment at some point.

:yesnod:
tlbenn said:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Smash Brothers and Mario Kart I will check them all out and see which look worthwhile (right off the bat I am encouraged at the thought of Marvel Alliance wich I looked at but wanted some opinions on before buying). Thanks for the recommendations. For the record Levesqueking my "collection" is a bit pedestrian but it belongs to my kids moreso than me, since they are on the young side I shy away from games with too much realistic violence (but have no problems when superhero's beat the tar out of one another).

Also since I took a shot at the Chicken Little Space Ace title without really playing which was not all that fair, I decided I should pop it in and give it a try, as it works out it is a pretty decent one player game afterall. Graphics are pretty decent, story line acceptable for younger players, I was surprised at how entertaining it is. May even decide to pop it in for my own entertainment at some point.

yeah marvel ultimate alliance is just a very fun beat em up rpg. its fun with one player but awesome when u have 3 other people over. the motion control gestures work out 80% of the time but there are many characters to choose from and the stages are good. u should check it out. doing a claw upper cut with wolverine feels very satisfying(u thrust the wiimote upwards)

Red steel has a good multiplayer mode, as long as you take off auto aim! People may say it's bad, but I'll always love the multiplayer in it (till something better comes out).

JT. said:
Red steel has a good multiplayer mode, as long as you take off auto aim! People may say it's bad, but I'll always love the multiplayer in it (till something better comes out).
true but keep in mind that his kids are 3 and 4 years old.

Good Advice...

Sounds like my next game purchase will be an easy decision to make based upon the support for Ultimate Alliance. I have a few weeks before my son's birthday so I will look into the Smash Brothers as well.

Do you guys have any advice on a first person shooter? this one would be for me, does anything in the Wii Galaxy stack up to Halo?

tlbenn said:
Sounds like my next game purchase will be an easy decision to make based upon the support for Ultimate Alliance. I have a few weeks before my son's birthday so I will look into the Smash Brothers as well.

Do you guys have any advice on a first person shooter? this one would be for me, does anything in the Wii Galaxy stack up to Halo?

yes there is. medal of honor heroes 2. it doesnt use friend codes, u can play 32 players online. the controls are hands down, the best i have seen on a console fps. littlt or no lag what so ever. the best part is that this game is a psp game port and it was made by a small EA studio (In Canada) which are known for their handheld stuff.check this game out.

Back