My Review of Madden 2008

I think you all need to calm down. You all do realize that this game was just released today, and everyone who bought it has probably been trying to play it online. EA's servers are probably getting swarmed and so its running poorly. You all also need to get some more friends, that if a game isn't online it is automatically not any good anymore. What is more fun, playing a game with some random kid online where it might lag, or actually sitting with an actual friend. actually communicating with a person in the flesh. It's truly sad that a game can't be enjoyed unless it is online.

Wow, did I buy the same game?

First of all, I think the graphics have improved quite a bit, they are much brighter now and less gloomy. Kicking is much improved and the tutorials are perfect.

But the biggest thing is I bought this for online and played two online games last night and had ZERO lag time. It was a perfect experience.

My only agreement with the initial review is every pass I throw seems to be a lob no matter how fast move the Wiimote. Maybe I need more practice.

Barnzy02 said:
I think you all need to calm down. You all do realize that this game was just released today, and everyone who bought it has probably been trying to play it online. EA's servers are probably getting swarmed and so its running poorly. You all also need to get some more friends, that if a game isn't online it is automatically not any good anymore. What is more fun, playing a game with some random kid online where it might lag, or actually sitting with an actual friend. actually communicating with a person in the flesh. It's truly sad that a game can't be enjoyed unless it is online.

OK stud, what about the people that can't even save a regular single player franchise? That should never have been overlooked on a game released to this scale.

Barnzy02 said:

I expected improvements from 07 to 08, instead they remove two features that I have ALWAYS USED since they were included in the Madden series, CREATE A PLAYER and CREATE A TEAM!!!

bdhobbs1 said:
I expected improvements from 07 to 08, instead they remove two features that I have ALWAYS USED since they were included in the Madden series, CREATE A PLAYER and CREATE A TEAM!!!

I've been playing madden since back on sega, they are consistenly removing and adding things every year. They added superstar mode, which is taking the place of the create a player function. and i believe you can still create a team and go through a franchise mode, but you need to remove 1 team from the league.

There's gonna be good and bad things about this game, it's madden. Its what we've come to expect. I just don't like the fact that all people care about anymore is whether or not a game is online. Companies are being forced into developing all these games into online games. I understand the concept of wanting to play online, and the desire to compete against people all over the world and whatnot. But, that is absolutely not the most important part of game.

zeropants said:
OK stud, what about the people that can't even save a regular single player franchise? That should never have been overlooked on a game released to this scale.

Obviously that is something that should not be overlooked, that is a genuine problem with the game. That is a reasonable complaint against the game's quality. Having a poor online system, or having to deal with the probably millions of people that bought it on release and are trying to play online all at the same time and having sub-par results is not.

Online gaming should not be the focal point of a game. Too many people say the main reason they buy this game is to play online. I Just think its disappointing.

Last edited:
Well so far right after work I jumped right in to playing it till midnight(thats like 6 hours)I enjoy it no prob with the fran. the only prob I have is the big hits always wiff ( I guess it takes time).I haven't tried online yet but hopefully I can get on tonight.if iy does lag and what not,hey I got my bros to play against.I enjoy the game and don't regret getting it.

I got the game, Im worried with all these reviews. I know my connection is really good and hasnt messed with me yet *knock on wood* can put it in and play cuz my sisters and her friends are hoggin the TV

they also took out the spawn game option for online. Me and my brother (on xbox) would do a franchise and then spawn the games online so that we could play against eachother, they took that option out. Also there are a lot of glitchy things such as the throw as soon as you hike it thing

The game is overall buggy and the controls are spotty. I'm quite disappointed overall with the game. Shame on EA for rushing an unpolished product out the door. They should be forced into a mandatory recall so they learn not to pull this crap again. I have a 360 also and that version is buggy as well. The bottom line is that the NFL needs to yank the exclusive from EA and open it up to some competition. DO NOT BUY THIS. Rent if first. If you like it, go for it, but more than likely you aren't going to like it. I feel like I've wasted $50 bucks. I'm going to find out tomorrow what the trade at gamestop is and get something else.

Im bringing it back tomorrow for fulll price f this game the controls are fine but it is a just a crappy game overall.

Wow, never figured on it being this bad. It sounds horrible! You guys that never got '07 that just want a good football game can pick it up for like $30 brand new in the stores...'07 is really good! Thanks again for the honest reviews.

The throw as soon as you hike thing has only happend to me once and that's becuase I flicked the controller after doing the hike motion. As long as you don't do that you won't throw the ball then.

I don't see the big problems with the controls, they seem fine to me. It takes a little while to get used to after being used to the button configuration of other systems.

I've heard a lot of complaints about this game but haven't really had the problems people are talking about. I think people are overreacting.

Back