My Review of Madden 2008

I've played quite a bit more now and so I'll add another comment. Man, I really wanted to like this game as I haven't had a good console video game in a number of years. The bottom line is this game is a steaming pile of crap. Buy 07 used at gamestop for something like 17 bucks and save the difference for another title. I can absolutely destroy the computer by simply passing and never taking control of the receivers. The computer catches the ball well on pretty much any play as long as you have man to man coverage. If you master the "big hit", fumble-itis will ensue. I can *easily* score 3 or 4 touchdowns in each of the default short quarters without much effort and completely shut down the computer's offense.

The "tutorial" is pretty much worthless and was the reason I waited on 08 instead of just getting 07.

Man, I'm seriously pissed at EA. I will not be buying another EA game ever. Period. I used to be a big supporter of Madden and NHL titles. I'm done with EA for good. They deserve to completely lose all of their customers and to circle the toilet bowl like their games do.

If they release a patch to fix some of the bugs, maybe it'll be a keeper but for now, RENT IT FIRST BEFORE YOU WASTE $50!

IcedEarth81 said:
Have you tried changing the difficulty or adjusting the AI sliders?

I've pretty much played with all the settings/modes at this point. The problem with this game, though, isn't just one thing. It's a whole bunch of things -- some small and some large -- that combined make me wish there was a way to return an opened game as "defective" because that is clearly what it is. At some point, companies need to pay the price for putting rubbish on the market. Interestingly, pretty much every product on the market would be forced into a recall if there were enormous levels of failure in the product. With intellectual property the amazing thing is that a "bug", when it exists, exists in every single copy of the game yet there is no recourse. My only recourse is that I will never support EA again on any title for any platform. It's too bad because there are a handful of upcoming EA titles that interest me but I won't buy them. Period. I've been a Madden player since Madden '93 on the Genesis. I have several consoles and have owned pretty much every major one since the days of the NES. At this point I feel qualified to judge a game as a steaming pile and this one absolutely fits that category.

EA has taken their flagship game, the one that (along with the earlier NHL games) made their company what it is...and just ruined it. The blatant disregard for quality control is overwhelming in this release.

Is it even possible to patch Wii games?

I'm sure they'll be hurting by losing your business.

On a serious note, you are going to boycott EA completely? Even if they come out with a good title you will not buy it because you didn't like Madden? That's just stupid. I didn't like Sonic and the Secret Rings but I'm not going to boycott the company over it. I'll probably shy away from future Sonic releases unless they get a lot of great reviews, but I won't refuse to buy Sega products because they made a game I disliked.

IcedEarth81 said:
I'm sure they'll be hurting by losing your business.

On a serious note, you are going to boycott EA completely? Even if they come out with a good title you will not buy it because you didn't like Madden? That's just stupid. I didn't like Sonic and the Secret Rings but I'm not going to boycott the company over it. I'll probably shy away from future Sonic releases unless they get a lot of great reviews, but I won't refuse to buy Sega products because they made a game I disliked.

I'm just one person and obviously can't cause EA financial pain by boycotting them completely but that's really my only recourse. Why is it stupid? If you bought a Honda and it failed repeatedly would you say it's stupid if someone said they would never buy a honda again? Same principle, bud. I used to defend EA against the constant attacks but this they they more than deserve the heat they are taking for rushing not just the Wii, but every other version as well. The PS3 version has framerate issues and the 360 version has a growing list of bugs as well...

The reason it is stupid is you are talking about boycotting the entire company's catalog because of one game you didn't like.

hey kenn, other than the AI 'loopholes' where you can pass easy w/ man to man, are the non-online bugs acceptable in your opinion? I played the GC launch version of Madden (04?) and it was fun for me despite a few bugs and AI loopholes.

I guess my real question is...is '08 far worse than previous releases? Enough to skip '08 altogether? I'm itching to get a new non-platform game and both Strikers and Madden are the only ones out there now.

Only have issues with online play. Everything else is not much different. THere are a few annoying issues, but you can overlook them. The laggy online play is the downfall.

i just rented the game today. my thoughts are that i like the passing although it will pass by itself sometimes, and the running controls. it's hard on def to react, using the controls to swat and intercept the ball. Biggest thing i don't like is the difficulty of stopping the run game, it's pretty tough first of all, but here's the worst thing. Sometimes a strong rb is able to shake off a tackle by drumming the remote, which can be easily done. I think if EA was thinking at all they would've let the def player counter the rb by shaking their remote as well thus insuring that the rb would always have an uphill battle. I'm borderline on buying the game, no customization either btw. I'm prob gonna save for MH2, THAT game looks awesome.

IcedEarth81 said:
The reason it is stupid is you are talking about boycotting the entire company's catalog because of one game you didn't like.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong. I'm not boycotting the entire catalog because of one game I didn't "like". I'm boycotting because they turned out a game with several major bugs which most certainly they were aware of from testing. I have always liked the madden series but to turn out this level of quality this far in the Madden franchise is unforgivable. If it were one or two small bugs, I'd say forgive and forget. It isn't, though. The Xbox 360 version is bug ridden as well. Go see the reviews for yourself. The PS3 version has some healthy framerate issues. Again, a sub-standard product. It isn't a question of like or not. It's a question of their business model in turning out unfinished or unpolished product. 'Nuff said. I'm done with EA. That's my response and it has nothing to do with "liking". It has everything to do with their business ethic.

gnahc79 said:
hey kenn, other than the AI 'loopholes' where you can pass easy w/ man to man, are the non-online bugs acceptable in your opinion? I played the GC launch version of Madden (04?) and it was fun for me despite a few bugs and AI loopholes.

I guess my real question is...is '08 far worse than previous releases? Enough to skip '08 altogether? I'm itching to get a new non-platform game and both Strikers and Madden are the only ones out there now.

This is a really hard question for me to answer. I hate buggy software. It drives me nuts when a game doesn't do something that it is supposed to be doing consistently. The bottom line is 08 is buggy and unpolished. Others can obviously overlook the bugs but I can't. 07 has is less buggy and has most of what you have in 08 minus the online mode. If the patch makes online mode better, then it might be a better option if you are wanting to play online. Strikers charged is solid. Period. Great game but you have to like that sort of thing as it isn't soccer by any stretch of the imagination. You might consider going to your local gamestop and signing up for a "membership". They will give you 10% off on used games and +10 for trades. You can buy a used copy of 07 and try it out. If you don't like it, you can take it back within 7 days and try 08. If you still don't like it you can bring it back again and just get strikers charged.

Personally, and it's my opinion, I would just get 07 used for 17 bucks or so at Gamestop and wait on the patches to see where 08 finally lands in terms of overall quality... Strikers charged is a no brainer...

Thanks for the input kenn :). Yeah, a friend of mine is in the QA/testing part of EA and their development and testing schedule is insane. A few years ago there was a minor silicon valley media frenzy over the crazy hours developers and testers logged. I think there was even some issues with testers being told to work way overtime without being paid properly or something like that.

http://news.com.com/Electronic+Arts+promises+workplace+change/2100-1022_3-5476714.html

Back