Need Help With Online Connections? Come Here.

Nothing works....am taking my Wii back and get a refund..its ridiculous that you cannot get online and reading all the forums it seems hundreds have the same problem...its not worth the aggro

bob hirst

I have a wii console which i want to connect to the internet via an O2 wireless router. I have followed the Wii isstructions but have failed to make connection. Returns an error message 52030.I have tried a number of times.Any ideas would be welcome.

NHL 2K10 friends 86420 error

I am having difficulty connecting to a friend playing NHL 2K10. We can both connect to the internet. We have exchanged friend codes and can both see each other as online. Whenever either of us invites the other to play a game the other gets the invite and accepts. There is then a long pause while we wait for the game to start then we get the 86420 error which is a communication error. Has anyone experienced this and was able to remedy it? I have search everywhere for an answer but all I see is Nintendo recommending changing your Wii so it has a static IP. I am connecting to the internet OK so I can't see how this will help. If that is the answer then which one of us should change to a static IP, Me, my friend of both of us?

I am having difficulty connecting to a friend playing NHL 2K10. We can both connect to the internet. We have exchanged friend codes and can both see each other as online. Whenever either of us invites the other to play a game the other gets the invite and accepts. There is then a long pause while we wait for the game to start then we get the 86420 error which is a communication error. Has anyone experienced this and was able to remedy it? I have search everywhere for an answer but all I see is Nintendo recommending changing your Wii so it has a static IP. I am connecting to the internet OK so I can't see how this will help. If that is the answer then which one of us should change to a static IP, Me, my friend of both of us?

The Nintendo suggestion of changing to a static IP and forwarding all ports to the Wii is a stupid idea, don't do that. All you really need is to access the settings on your router and open the ports the Wii is using and forward them. On my router, I have ports 28910, 29900, 29901, and 29920 forwarding to the Wii and everything seems to work well. It is a somewhat complicated procedure, you should read the instructions for your router to learn how to do it.

If you have any questions on how to get your wii onlineline then ask me. I will be glad to answer them.:thumbsup:
how do i set the wii up to the internet

Hi Jade, it is easy really ...

Firstly, I assume you have wireless internet. Then you can look at this Nintendo guide:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/support/wii_support_5251_7995.html?id=8001

You need to know if you have a security code/key to access the wireless. This will typically have a 16 digit code. Have this code to hand.

On the Wii Menu, select the 'Wii button' in the lower left corner.
This will take you to the settings screen. On this screen, select 'Wii Settings'.
In the 'Wii System Settings', select the blue arrow on the right to reach the second screen of options. On this screen, select the 'Internet' button.
Select 'Connection Settings'.
Select an open connection, indicated by 'None', as shown:
Select 'Wireless Connection'.
Select 'Search for an Access Point'.
At this point, the Wii console will search for any identifiable Access Points nearby. Once this search has completed, you will be directed to choose the Access Point that you wish to connect to, as shown. Select 'OK' to display the list of available Access Points.
Select your Access Point from the list of available Access Points.
If your connection appears as a closed padlock, then the Access Point requires a security code or passphrase. The security code or passphrase can usually be found on the security tab of your wireless router settings.
If your connection signal appears yellow or red, the stability or strength of the connection is not optimal. If possible, remove any obstacles between the Wii console and the Access Point. Changing the channel on your router to channel 1 or channel 11 can sometimes help with signal stability and strength.
Select 'Save' followed by 'OK' to save your connection settings...
...and select 'OK' again to start an automatic connection test.

That should be it !

You can then set up an account in the Wii Shop channel, and download new channels free of charge (such as the BBC iPlayer and Internet), or download games (these 'cost' Wii Points)

Let us know how you get on !

Bikertov

Last edited:
Hi. I hope you can help.
I have 2 Wii consoles in my home. The first i've set up and connected to the WiFi router no problem. The 2nd which i've just bought won't connect even though the settings on everything, router and the 2 Wii's, are identical. Both consoles were
pre-owned so are a year or so old. I'm really stuck. If I change any settings on the router then the first console may stop working. Any ideas?

wii shop not available in my region, help

Good day, just got my wii and wanted to get some more channels, but when i tried connecting to the wii shop channel, it is saying that it isnt available in my region Barbados in the caribbean. Is there any way i can add channels without using the shop channel?? Thanks in advance

To wii connection issues:

1) Set Wii to Static IP.
2) Use OpenDNS for your DNS server.
Primary '208.67.222.222', Secondary '208.67.220.220'
3) Set MTU size to '0' which is auto. Many will say put it to 1500 but if set to auto it will start at 1500 and change depending on your line to improve data transfer.
4) Turn on DMZ within your router and put Wii IP address.

Optional will be to connect via ethernet for better connections. Still the Wii settings should still be what is above. For help please list your router and I'll show you what you have to enter. As for the DMZ portion I'll try my best to walk you through.

Last edited:
Hey pleeeease I need Help!!! I dont Know what a usb connector I need to buy can I buy a oridinarry wifi usb connector or I need a nintendo wifi usb connector????

Sorry for my bad english im from Serbia....

51330 error.

i have a wireless network setup that uses a dlink 2640r router, i can connect using pc,laptop, friend laptops etc but the wii finds the access point and then gives 51330 error. the access point shows 3 bars reception. i have tried various wireless key settings including setting the network to open. i have tried changing channels. i have tried manual setup of wii with same error. the router uses talktalk firmware which means that cant mac filter and the set dmz option only allows currently connected computers to be set.

any help would be appreciated

First trying updating your firmware to the lastest one offer by Dlink.

Try turning off your security and see if the Wii can connect to it?

Back