New wii u

Starflyr

WiiChat Member
Jun 18, 2013
Lynnwood
I've had the original Wii since it first came out. While I've enjoyed it, I've lusted for the HD displays of other game consoles (MS 360 and others). So I had great hopes for the Wii U.

However, every demo unit I've seen (Best Buy, etc) mystifies me. I pickup a "stick" controller and point it at the demo, but nothing happens. I know that the unit also comes with a separate hand held console that doesn't require a separate video device to play, but CAN be used instead of the original hand held "stick".

I've read that the new console is able to also play all the original Wii games, but I'm hesitant to lay out the long green for a system that I can't demo in a store. Perhaps I should buy one at Costco for a guaranteed return if it doesn't work the way the old one does.

Do you think these demos like at Best Buy are a departure from the easy way the original Wii worked? The demos I see for PlayStation 2 blow or MS360 certainly blew the original Wii games away. Even the new Wii 2 demos I see running don't even come close to the other top console game systems.

Am I missing something here? I assume I would not gain a thing by buying the new Wii if I only played my previous games.

I've had the original Wii since it first came out. While I've enjoyed it, I've lusted for the HD displays of other game consoles (MS 360 and others). So I had great hopes for the Wii U.

However, every demo unit I've seen (Best Buy, etc) mystifies me. I pickup a "stick" controller and point it at the demo, but nothing happens. I know that the unit also comes with a separate hand held console that doesn't require a separate video device to play, but CAN be used instead of the original hand held "stick".

I've read that the new console is able to also play all the original Wii games, but I'm hesitant to lay out the long green for a system that I can't demo in a store. Perhaps I should buy one at Costco for a guaranteed return if it doesn't work the way the old one does.

Do you think these demos like at Best Buy are a departure from the easy way the original Wii worked? The demos I see for PlayStation 2 blow or MS360 certainly blew the original Wii games away. Even the new Wii 2 demos I see running don't even come close to the other top console game systems.

Am I missing something here? I assume I would not gain a thing by buying the new Wii if I only played my previous games.
if by stick you mean wiimote....then that is just an accessory now....the real controller is that little handheld device you saw....

about graphics...nintendoland,pikmin3,mario kart 8,smash bros 4,rayman legends...looks just as good or better than any cartoony game on any of the other systems. rayman,smash bros4 and mariokart are 1080p/60fps.

if you want realistic graphics....then you have to wait for project x ([video=youtube;XmpcNOGyMl0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmpcNOGyMl0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmpcNOGyMl0[/video]) or maybe bayonetta 2..
the next metroid and zelda will hopefully also quench your thirst for those type of games.

but dont forget 3rd party...big games such as watch dogs and call duty ghosts will come to wiiu supposedly looking beter than the ps3/360 versions.

Last edited:
Yeah, by "stick" I meant wiimote. I prefer the wiimote to the new hand controller with it's own screen for play either with a TV or standalone. The graphics in your post look great. I didn't see anything like this at the Best Buy demo. Does the new Wii U upscale previous original Wii games or do you have to buy new games in order to be better resolution? Hate to admit it, but most of my previous Wii play was Tiger Woods Golf.

Yeah, by "stick" I meant wiimote. I prefer the wiimote to the new hand controller with it's own screen for play either with a TV or standalone. The graphics in your post look great. I didn't see anything like this at the Best Buy demo. Does the new Wii U upscale previous original Wii games or do you have to buy new games in order to be better resolution? Hate to admit it, but most of my previous Wii play was Tiger Woods Golf.

yes the wiiU plays wii games at 1080p...however it doesnt neccessarily upscale them..i forget exactly how it works...but yes the games will look just very slightly better than if you bought component cables on the wii.

you can still keep your tiger woods game and your wiimote and play the game on your wiiU....all wii games can be played on it.
however if you are hoping for an HD tiger woods with the wiimote then no....EA doesnt want to make sports games for nintendo anymore....

but EA are cancelling the whole tiger woods game next year....so the next tiger woods wont come out until 2015.

Yeah, by "stick" I meant wiimote. I prefer the wiimote to the Gamepad

Now, that's a rare preference. Most people are blindly furious at "what a childish gimmick motion controls are", or simply prefer buttons. Personally I fall into the latter category, simply because motion controls are a tad less reliable than buttons.

Now, that's a rare preference. Most people are blindly furious at "what a childish gimmick motion controls are", or simply prefer buttons. Personally I fall into the latter category, simply because motion controls are a tad less reliable than buttons.
i loved the wiimote...but for different reasons...1 anybody in my family could play wii sports in 1 day...
steering in mariokart worked amazingly well..even my dad beat me a few times..
and the most important...i am much better at FPS games like call of duty with the wiimote than i am with dual analogs.

Back