Nintendo Boosting Online Presence?

Disturbed1

WiiChat Member
Nov 25, 2007
Concord, CA
Wii Online Code
7914-9240-2291-0710
The Wii's popularity cannot be denied, but Nintendo has always lagged far behind the Sony and Microsoft where online gaming was concerned. However, apparently Nintendo is planning on rectifying that situation.

Nintendo of Japan announced a partnership with broadband provider Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp with the intentions of improving Nintendo's online presence.

An NTT representative stated that "I hope our fibre-optic service becomes as popular as the Wii. I think we have won a powerful ally to hit our target to boost fibre-optic subscribers to 20 million by the year ending March 2011."

This move shows Nintendo's dedication to improving their online capabilities. Hopefully, we'll see this dedication manifesting in all markets and in online play. More on this as it develops.

Source

nice info, hope wii does get better at online. i think that will encourage better 3rd party games

This is something a lot of people aren't acknowledging. Nintendo has to form a online network. Both the PS2 and Xbox had prior built networks where the GC only had PSO Ver 2. Nintendo also isn't a big company like the other two. If they lose a few billion they are in serious trouble. This has resulted in Nintendo taking fewer financial risks. However because of this Nintendo has had far higher job standards, no mass firing sprees like EA, and a constant profit flow, even in bad times.

Anyways this will take time. Nintendo has to make an online network on par with World Of Warcraft(hosting 10 million players), and Blizzard didn't get that game fully functional until a full year went by. 1:2 Wii owners currently use it's online features. 50% of all Wii gamers stay offline, this goes for the 360 as well, and I hope this changes.

sagema said:
1:2 Wii owners currently use it's online features. 50% of all Wii gamers stay offline, this goes for the 360 as well, and I hope this changes.

actually that number is incorrect. i read somewhere that only 40% of wii owners are online with their wiis.

It's includes people who have gone online at least once. 50% is still a lot, and this % has grown in the past few months. It's probably VC. All Wii owners eventually realize they can get more if they could go online. Even if it's for a very limited time.

Back