Nintendo sells 10M Virtual Console games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

T3kNi9e

Conquistador
Dec 1, 2007
Augusta, GA
virtualconsole10millionw00t.jpg

Sales figures for Nintendo's Virtual Console service on the Wii have been hard to come by, but a recent interview with president Satoru Iwata has revealed that the Virtual Console has surpassed 10 million games sold as of December. Even assuming that the majority of sales were at $5 USD (the lowest price point), Nintendo would have still earned over $50 million USD on old, re-released titles alone.

Though Iwata states this as proof of the value of digital distribution, he also reiterates the importance of the retail channel, claiming that boxed games will still be a strong part of the market for the next three-to-five years.

Iwata also admits that the retail chain is not nearly as profitable for Nintendo, with low profit margins on boxed titles, and short shelf life as two of the main contributing problems. In spite of these difficulties, Iwata remains confident on the value of brick-and-mortar retail. With WiiWare due out sometime this year, however, it'll be interesting to see if he begins to change his tune.

Source

Pretty good numbers eh?

If Nintendo plans on keeping this going they better release a hard drive of some sort, especially with WiiWare on the horizon.

Wait...

People rent the crap that Nintendo shovels onto VC? Wow. So unless they rented 10 million downloads of the Mario and Zelda games, I don't get it. 95% of what's on there is a giant pile of cow dung. Seriously.

Do you own a Wii? It's not a rental, it's a purchase. There are dozens of great titles, dozens more I don't care about, but what do you expect?

Milkman said:
Do you own a Wii? It's not a rental, it's a purchase. There are dozens of great titles, dozens more I don't care about, but what do you expect?

It's not a purchase. Do you physically own anything after downloading it? Can you do what you want with it? Can you take it to a friends and play it? Can you play it on another Wii?

You don't own the game after downloading it. You just pay for the rights to play it on your Wii.

Atomheart said:
It's not a purchase. Do you physically own anything after downloading it? Can you do what you want with it? Can you take it to a friends and play it? Can you play it on another Wii?

You don't own the game after downloading it. You just pay for the rights to play it on your Wii.

lol that still owning it, just in the modern sence of the word... how many people have huge librarys of MP3's that buy from apple I tunes? they would argue they own it...lol and Nintendo will replace your VC games if something happens to your console and you have everything registed.

Not sure Apple would do the same if you deleted your downloaded songs off your computer and only had them on your I-pod that you broke.. ha ha probably take a decent list of credit card recipts and proof that your computer was totaled... :lol: :lol: crime scene photos and all

Still decent numbers there are tones of games with alot of cool classics but also alot of old no-names as well. But thats only 1 download for every 2 Wii's and its a little over a year now. Not that they pay anything for the VC games its nothing but profit im sure.

Wii ware will be the test and they need to figure out how to expand our memory be it through SD/External Hard Drive, quick or it will be a downside of the Wii to the download freaks..

Great news. Take that, everyone complaining about Wii's low software sales.
Atomheart said:

Wow, crud argument of the month.

LevesqueIsKing said:
Wow, crud argument of the month.

I agree He is gonna be really upset in a few years from now when the majority of entertainment that we own is downloaded.

It will end up being cheeper but if you want to change it into physicall media to take to a friends your gonna have to dump it on physical media yourself.

Atomheart said:

what are you talking about
obviously you dont own it
if you buy a wii do you own nintendo?
its yours
do whatever you want with it
renting is if you borrow it then give it back

Hey. I got a good idea.

Instead of arguing and spamming about the meaning of a word, let's actually comment on the article at hand.

10 million VC games.
That's pretty amazing.

Not releasing a harddrive of sorts would be not very smart.
Especially if they release their own branded harddrive.

Parents would buy it.
And people who don't know better.

Nintendo's got a serious cash flow here.

Personally I think Nintendo's VC software is great. If I had to pick from buying only VC games or only Wii games I think ill go with the VC hands down. Which is making me wonder why the hell I havent bought any Wii points yet... o_O

Barbz911 said:
what are you talking about
obviously you dont own it
if you buy a wii do you own nintendo?
its yours
do whatever you want with it
renting is if you borrow it then give it back

LOL! That's a terrible analogy. When I buy a Wii I don't own Nintendo, obviously. But I DO own my Wii. I can do whatever I want with it. I can take it anywhere I want. Play it anywhere I want. Whatever.

With a VC download, you can play it only on their terms on your console. If you were the owner of the game, you'd be able to do what you want with it, such as borrowing it to a friend. Can you borrow VC games to friends or anyone for that matter? No. You don't own it. You simply purchased the license to play it. You do NOT own the game.

atomheart, type in "sd card" next time you're on google.

Atomheart said:
Wait...

People rent the crap that Nintendo shovels onto VC? Wow. So unless they rented 10 million downloads of the Mario and Zelda games, I don't get it. 95% of what's on there is a giant pile of cow dung. Seriously.
Sounds like you are one of those people who thinks that video games only came into existance when the PS2 was released. They actually existed for many years before that and a lot of the VC games are considered to be classics by many people.

Some of the games may be too hardcore for some as 80's and 90's games were notoriously difficult, Ghosts 'n Goblins for example (although I completed it when it was released) but they are made a little easier on VC by the added save game features.

As for the rental comment, you do actually own the game when you buy it as you can delete it and then download it again for free. Nintendo can also transfer the VC games to another Wii if you ever need to replace it.

10 million sold is a lot but what I really want to know is when will Pilotwings make it to the VC? :mad2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back