Not all Torrents are ILLEGAL

strommsarnac

WiiChat Member
Dec 28, 2006
USA, Central Ohio
Just for the record. Not ALL torrents are illegal. Only ones used for pirating software and media.

The Torrent PROTOCOL method was originally created to allow quick distribution of legal content. Colleges, Steam, Blizzard, even Amazon use the torrent protocol for software distribution.

Saying Torrents are illegal is like saying that FTP, HTTP, email, and newsgroups are illegal.

However, just like anything else worthwhile in the world, many people abuse the torrent protocol and use it for illegal purposes.

I thought this needed to be cleared up since someone else posted that they were illegal and then the thread was closed preventing any correction.

I suggest that you should of put this in a different section because this is'nt about wii or chatting.

Nice to see your telling people about this tho

If what your downloading is out in the country your in its illegal
Ie - Anime if its licensed in your country (ie on tv or dvd) your not allowed to down load it

Side note - I was recently asked by some one "where can I download all of the Harry potter films"
Just told him/her/it to go and buy it

Darkprinny said:
If what your downloading is out in the country your in its illegal
Ie - Anime if its licensed in your country (ie on tv or dvd) your not allowed to down load it

It's not that simple in the US. If it's broadcast over-air, or on non-pay channels like NBC, FOX, Discovery, Sci-Fi, then it's more complicated.

What it comes down to is Is the "torrent" version based on a DVD/Encrypted version. If so, then it's illegal. However, if the "source" is based on an analog version, then per the "Fair and Free Use" act, as long as the host doesn't charge for someone to dload the file, it's legal. Regardless if there's another version available on DVD/Encrypted.

Makes it hard for people to know right or wrong per each dload. But if it's a "version" we can watch on standard cable or over the air TV or even from a VHS tape, then we can legally dload it.

However, ALL software is protected as it's always been digital. Books are protected due to their copyright which is different than a tv/movie copyright.

I think this confusion is why most people think ALL torrents (and peer-peer dloads) are illegal. But they're not.

Now all that said, most forums/sites forbid even talking about this stuff in their user agreement. Not sure if Wiichat does, I can't remember.

torrents are a tricky thing much like buying music off the internet through say itunes......

truth be knownst i download movies constantly i wont lie. i use bitlord and its pretty much the best thing ive ever came across. however peer 2 peer sharing has become so rampant that it is now illegal.

remember the days of tapes when you heard a song off the radio, recorded it on your boombox, and then made a mix tape for a friend?

why wasnt that illegal? wasnt made for publication it was just P2P sharing.

so illegal downloads are a :nono: and i get where youre comming from where companies use the system, its what torrents they are downloading and from what client that makes it illegal

like prinny said "where can i find harry poter" yep thats right go to your local barns and noble and buy it

wii_cammy said:
Then what sites do you use for downloading "Legal torrents" ???

pay for sites through major companies. just to prove that you are paying for what you are using. free is bad in a companies eyes. they are losing some sort of profit

Eh...torrents aren't really tricky at all. It's like saying ".ZIP" or ".RAR" files are tricky. It's a great way to transfer files without having to worry about bandwidth issues.

Just a little mention here, I usually put torrents on before I go to bed, and you are right, they are not all illegal. For example I go on the underdogs site alot to get games
(they host and have lists of loads of freeware and abandonware games)
Its a rare time when you can torrent a game legally :O

(some info for anyone who cares- From wikipedia
Home of the Underdogs (often called HotU) is an abandonware archive founded by Sarinee Achavanuntakul in September 1998, and has grown to be one of the most significant abandonware websites on the Internet. While at first hosted on free web hosts, It is also asserted that the site is careful about copyright concerns, so if a game available for download becomes once more available for purchase, or if a game's copyright holder so requests, the downloadable files are removed, replacing them with a link to the site selling the game—if applicable)

I'm just trying to show that there are legal torrents, and where you can find them. :D

ive always had the impression that torrents of things that you OWN are also legal? i usually download an album or movie and then go and buy it if i like it, and delete it if i dont.

As far as films go
I just watch them online and stop towards the end that way I still buy the DVD (when its cheap)

I do the same as almo. i download a cd on bittorrent and then if i like it, i buy it and if i dont, i delete it. Also, in Canada, im pretty sure its legal to download but ilegal to distribute.

If all of them were illegal they wouldn't exist or would be very hard to get. Alot of people put their harddrives into torrents and put a password on the zip files. People actually search for these and crack the passwords though, Therefore making it illegal again lol

Back