Syntax

That Canucks Fan
Dec 27, 2006
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0001
Link to the site: http://freerice.com/index.php
Site FAQ'S:

Frequently Asked Questions
How does playing the vocabulary game at FreeRice help me?

Learning new vocabulary has tremendous benefits. It can help you:

* Formulate your ideas better
* Write better papers, emails and business letters
* Speak more precisely and persuasively
* Comprehend more of what you read
* Read faster because you comprehend better
* Get better grades in high school, college and graduate school
* Score higher on tests like the SAT, GRE, LSAT and GMAT
* Perform better at job interviews and conferences
* Sell yourself, your services, and your products better
* Be more effective and successful at your job

After you have done FreeRice for a couple of days, you may notice an odd phenomenon. Words that you have never consciously used before will begin to pop into your head while you are speaking or writing. You will feel yourself using and knowing more words.
How does the FreeRice vocabulary program work?

FreeRice has a custom database containing thousands of words at varying degrees of difficulty. There are words appropriate for people just learning English and words that will challenge the most scholarly professors. In between are thousands of words for students, business people, homemakers, doctors, truck drivers, retired people… everyone!

FreeRice automatically adjusts to your level of vocabulary. It starts by giving you words at different levels of difficulty and then, based on how you do, assigns you an approximate starting level. You then determine a more exact level for yourself as you play. When you get a word wrong, you go to an easier level. When you get three words in a row right, you go to a harder level. This one-to-three ratio is best for keeping you at the “outer fringe” of your vocabulary, where learning can take place.

There are 50 levels in all, but it is rare for people to get above level 48.
What happens if my computer suddenly loses power while I am in the middle of playing? Does my donation still count?

Yes, once your screen says that you have donated a certain amount of rice, that means our server has registered it. For example, suppose your screen says that you have donated 120 grains of rice. If your computer then suddenly loses power, or you close your browser, or you click to go somewhere else, your donation has already been counted.

Who pays for the donated rice?

The rice is paid for by the advertisers whose names you see on the bottom of your vocabulary screen. This is regular advertising for these companies, but it is also something more. Through their advertising at FreeRice, these companies support both learning (free vocabulary for everyone) and reducing hunger (free rice for the hungry). We commend these companies for their participation at FreeRice.

Who distributes the donated rice?

The rice is distributed by the United Nations World Food Program (WFP). The World Food Program is the world’s largest food aid agency, working with over 1,000 other organizations in over 75 countries. In addition to providing food, the World Food Program helps hungry people to become self-reliant so that they escape hunger for good. Wherever possible, the World Food Program buys food locally to support local farmers and the local economy. We encourage you to visit the United Nations World Food Program to learn more about their successful approach to ending hunger.
Will the rice I donate make a difference?

The rice you donate makes a huge difference to the person who receives it. To a mother or father watching a loved child die in their arms from hunger, the rice you donate is more precious than anything in the world.

What is being done to end world hunger?

There is great progress being made to end world hunger. Many organizations across the globe are involved in this struggle. Each day, hundreds of thousands of ordinary men and women work for these organizations. Through their efforts, millions of impoverished people are fed, taught skills and given hope for the future.

What else can I do to help end world hunger?

One very important thing you can do to help end hunger is to become knowledgeable about it. A good way to do this is to visit our sister site Poverty.com (designed so that busy people can learn quickly about hunger and poverty) or one of the many excellent sites listed here. We believe that when enough people around the world become knowledgeable about hunger, it will no longer be tolerated.

Even though some may consider this to be advertising I find that this is for a good cause. Not only can you donate food to a family starving due to poverty but you can improve your vocabulary. Please note that it doesn't cost anything to take part in this. Also I'm not affiliated with the above site in any way.

Last edited:
ssbb_lover said:
Sweet, will do, S. Good find. :)

Thanks, it means a lot to me and definitely to the families that this organization supports. :)

w00t, looks good. I always prided myself in my large vocabulary and the ability to incoherently string words together to sound intellectual.

Pwning tyly and donating rice....awesome.

Either you cheated, or you have way too much time on your hands

I got to level 45, then started cheating, and got bored around 300 grains.

Wow, thanks. Now I have something to do in my spare time :lol:

They say it helps your vocab but when you get it wrong they don't tell you the right answer? That makes me mad.

EDIT: lol, yeah it does.

THIS SITE ROOLS!!

Glad you enjoy it. I've donated about 3,500 grains of rice.

I donated 800 grains or so.
I hope I didn't need to click something to send them or nothing.

CantGetAWii said:
I donated 800 grains or so.
I hope I didn't need to click something to send them or nothing.

Nope. Once you close the tab whatever amount is shown on your screen is donated.

Back