On Fanboyism

Dorkfish

I'm Good at Games
Oct 15, 2007
In the Boondocks
Wii Online Code
3041-8420-1576-4112
These are my opinions on gaming today, not just fanboyism

Over the past few weeks, I purchased a PS3 for myself and my siblings because we simply became bored with what the Xbox 360 had to offer in terms of games and other forms of digital entertainment. I found myelf asking the almighty gods of the internet for advice on what games to buy, what accessories I need, and for PS3 communities that I could hang out in and talk to people about games, not just for the PS3, but for all gaming systems. But while I was scouring the internet for information, I came across an internet atrocity the likes of which I've never seen. I'm taking, of course, of the XBox 360 Republic. Home to such intelectuals as Orca364, PSPVIRUS, and last, the king of Fanboys, GeneralMLD. I brought myself to go through 4 threads in the Console Wars section of their forum, and to be honest, I was apalled to see people claiming to be true "gamers" speaking about this subject with such single minded views as those.

GeneralMLD said:
a 360 multiplat not on ps3 still counts.

Okay, first off, a game thats on the 360 and the PC, but not the PS3, is not an Xbox 360 exclusive. This logic can be competely nullified by looking in a dictionary. from Dictionary.com (You seriously think that I, of all people, own a dictionary? FAIL) "Exclusive: noting that in which no others have a share" This could easily be interpreted as saying "Belonging to only one party" The party being the 360, thus saying that games that are on the 360 and the PC are not exclusive. But then again, most of the "gamers" on that forum would say some completely illogic statement to try and contradict the dictionary, and would have a freaking army of people just stalking the forums, waiting for something like this to pop up, ready to defend them. This, to me, embodies the Fanboy persona. Trolling the internet, flaming youtube videos and threads on forums about other consoles, using completely retarded logic in your arguments, and then bringing in the horde to defend them.

I put the word gamers in parenthesis in that paragraph because the people on that forum are not true gamers. Since when was gaming about defending your console of choice, flaming another console simply because it isn't your own. In my opinion, in no way are you a true gamer if you limit your gaming experience to only one console. I remember back in the day of 1999, when I was 8, that I had both an N64 and a PS1. Since I obviously about as much of a life back then as I do now, I would sit at home playing both about as much as possible. I got as much out of my games as I possibly could, playing both systems exstensivley without caring which console had the better games or graphics. It didn't matter to me back then, and it shouldn't matter to anybody claiming to be a gamer now. I just irks me when people come into threads ranting about the Xbox 360 having the most amazing games, when in all reality, it doesn't matter. I play games for enjoyment. It shouldn't matter which console I play them on.

I found a guy on youtube by the name of Diifii. I love this guy so much. Go check out his channel on youtube, subscribe, do whatever, he's a true gamer. You may be a little weirded out by the way he acts, but he's really fun. He posts game reviews about all games on all consoles. He doesn't care about which console has better exclusives or what console has the better versions of multiplats. He just plays games to have fun, like most people should. I'm not saying that 360 fanboys aren't having fun with their console, but to me, you cannot get the best gaming experience by limiting yourself to one console and then just patrolling the internet for any sign of opinions contrary to your own.

Diifii, to me, exempifies what gaming used to be, and what it should be today: just having fun without caring what console is the best console, or which console has the best games or graphics or whatever.

This was simpy a nonsensical rant to get some of my opinions out of my head, but I really do wish that gaming was like it used to be. The internet gaming "community" would be a whole lot better if fanboyism and console flaming just didn't exist, but if I had wheels, I'd be a wagon, so this will most likely never be.

P.S.:360 fanboys are the worst, everybody can agree on this, even the 360 fanboys.

~Dorkfish

P.S.S.~Don't flame me because this post didn't make any sense, I just wanted to voice my opinions, and I'm really, really bad at it.

I have to say, it depends on where you go. Some forums have worse PS3 fanboys, others have worse 360 fanboys etc... Gametrailers is an example of a community where PS3 fanboys are worse than 360 ones. Often you find people complaining about FFXIII going multiplatform and such.

As for the exclusivity arguement, I agree that often most games cannot be considered 360 exclusive. Although I will say that it can be a Microsoft exclusive if it's not also on a Mac. A bit like for example, the God Of War series is a Sony exclusive, but not a PS3 exclusive, since I believe it's on PS2 and PSP as well. But that's all semantics.

I agree on the whole though. Fanboys are peshaps the most damaging thing in the representation of the gaming world. I admittedly don't have a PSP or PS3, but I intend to own them both.

Hope you find other gaming communities a bit better (like this one for example).

Oh jesus, the Game Trailers forums... Does every thread about a console game get raided by a horde of PC gamers still?

I have to say, it depends on where you go. Some forums have worse PS3 fanboys, others have worse 360 fanboys etc... Gametrailers is an example of a community where PS3 fanboys are worse than 360 ones. Often you find people complaining about FFXIII going multiplatform and such.

As for the exclusivity arguement, I agree that often most games cannot be considered 360 exclusive. Although I will say that it can be a Microsoft exclusive if it's not also on a Mac. A bit like for example, the God Of War series is a Sony exclusive, but not a PS3 exclusive, since I believe it's on PS2 and PSP as well. But that's all semantics.

I agree on the whole though. Fanboys are peshaps the most damaging thing in the representation of the gaming world. I admittedly don't have a PSP or PS3, but I intend to own them both.

Hope you find other gaming communities a bit better (like this one for example).

This man is wise. Glad to see you're still around.

Oh jesus, the Game Trailers forums... Does every thread about a console game get raided by a horde of PC gamers still?
I think there are still quite a few PC gamers on their forums, but I'd have to say the PS3 fanboys are still the most rampant on there. I feel sorry for the Wii fans on there. Every time they say something on their Wii section, they tend to get flamed from all sides.

Not that I post on their forums. I just browse to see how bad the situation is over there.

blueovalboy7 said:
This man is wise. Glad to see you're still around.
I'm glad I am still valued here. :biggrin5: I really need to post here more often.

Most people wouldn't speak of an entire series instead of one game, as in the case of the God of War series. God of War 3 is exclusive to the PS3, which is what I was talking about. What really grinds my gears about it though is that some idiot 360 fanboys use the argument that "PC is microsoft so its exclusive". I mean, c'mon yall, what kind of logic is that? For one thing, Microsoft doesn't normally make the computers, they make the operating system. I'm using a Dell Studio Desktop right now. Dell=/=Microsoft. Microsoft may have made the operating system, but I can easily get games working on Linux if I needed to.

The point is though, that the gaming community as a whole would really benefit from a massive decrease in fanboys. Nobody would care about any of that stuff, they'd just play be gamers, not 360 gamers, not PS3 gamers, just gamers.

hey i am a pc gamer!

ITS EASIER FOR ME TO USE THE KEYBOARD AND MOUSE but you play the ps3 so what xbox360 who cares as long as your having fun!

pfft what am i kidding pc's better :wink:

Most people wouldn't speak of an entire series instead of one game, as in the case of the God of War series. God of War 3 is exclusive to the PS3, which is what I was talking about. What really grinds my gears about it though is that some idiot 360 fanboys use the argument that "PC is microsoft so its exclusive". I mean, c'mon yall, what kind of logic is that? For one thing, Microsoft doesn't normally make the computers, they make the operating system. I'm using a Dell Studio Desktop right now. Dell=/=Microsoft. Microsoft may have made the operating system, but I can easily get games working on Linux if I needed to.

The point is though, that the gaming community as a whole would really benefit from a massive decrease in fanboys. Nobody would care about any of that stuff, they'd just play be gamers, not 360 gamers, not PS3 gamers, just gamers.
True, exclusivity normally means a game is exclusive rather than a series. Although it does come up about a franchise exclusivity. Like the Nintendo-Resident Evil exclusivity that came before the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4 (or at least limited, since the games started on Sony's console - and Sega's if I remember correctly).

But overall, people do focus on specific game exclusivity, for example, people automatically assuming Final Fantasy XIII will be bad because of it's multiplatform state, but praising Final Fantasy Versus XIII because it's an exclusive. Overall, nobody can really say until they get the final versions of the games in their hands.

Battousai said:
hey i am a pc gamer!

ITS EASIER FOR ME TO USE THE KEYBOARD AND MOUSE but you play the ps3 so what xbox360 who cares as long as your having fun!

pfft what am i kidding pc's better
Lol. There are advantages and disadvantages to both consoles and PCs. In the end, it's all individual's preferences.

I can play on PC, although I tend not to. I also don't have that powerful a computer (I'm currently mostly using a laptop that was not that expensive a year ago).

Try the retro gamer forum
Where fanboyism becomes funny

this is all pretty true and i agree with just about all if it.

but PS3 or 360 fanboys aren't the worst. try and tell a COD fanboy that you not only don't play it but you hate COD and prepare for lulz

Back