Piracy Next Gen

like PSP, it upgrades to upgrade security and add new features (new features can sometimes cause hacks, lol) upgrades can also stop piracy, but sony sucks at it and didnt change the encryption on 3 firmwares, amking ti easy to hack.

not sure if it will make a difference, because pple changed the chip on ps2 and xbox. but on PSP they just made firmware upgrades, that wudda been hard to hack, but they didnt change the encryption.

nintendo lover said:
I have never seen one nintendo game that have been a victim of piracy
What you talking about
theres was a disc thing for the nes
same with snes
Gameboy has loads
same as advance
and you can buy blank gc disks

I don't get it are you guys saying people can hack into the systems!!! and screw with crap?....
I know what Piracy is... Dreamcast was hit real hard...

Darkprinny said:
What you talking about
theres was a disc thing for the nes
same with snes
Gameboy has loads
same as advance
and you can buy blank gc disks
Although Nintendo games have been pirated in the past (if I remember, the Chinese were really good at it, even pirating the carts to sell), I don't think there has been blank Gamecube disks available on general release. PC's cannot even read Gamecube disks (they can read mini-CD's or mini-DVD's, but for some reason not Gamecube disks).

There is a large emulation circuit on the internet, so there definately was muchos hacking into older, and sometimes even newer titles. The Playstation disks can be copied really easily, and played with an Emulator (so that you don't even need to buy a playstation to play it's games). The PS2 also has quite readable disks, and much copying has been done with it.

There is only one known way that Gamecube disks can even be read by a PC (let alone the files copied), which is to use the broadband adapter (despite the claims that the Gamecube couldn't go online, pfft!) and load up Sega's Phantasy Star Online game, and do something (can't remember what) about switching disks when you're uploading (or something).

Nintendo stuck with Carts during the N64 period for a reason - (among others), to prevent against piracy. Nintendo has a huge market in their software, and they didn't want to risk it with using CD's (which can be copied and played with the use of 'chips)'. However, the carts, despite being better for loading times, and being more robust, lacked space (although some things were compressed so well, that even Resident Evil 2 could fit on a single cart). However, some projects like Final Fantasy VII (Yep, it was originally destined for the N64) went to Sony's new Playstation, as there was little memory limitations (Final Fantasy VII took 3 disks, although mostly due to the size of the FMV's - the in-game coding was there on each disk, replicated). The N64 was being jointly developed between Nintendo and Philips, but Philips fell through, and Sony gained the edge (the 64-bit, double Sony's 32-bit Playstation- which is why it was released later, with very limited amount of games).

Copyright infringement is something that was skillfully avoided on the Gamecube (much to many-a homebrew fan's dismay), and if there's one company that will avoid being easy targets for piracy, it's Nintendo, because they have a massive hand in their software market, much more the Sony or Microsoft (In which both systems have been hit heavily with piracy).

Last edited:
Back