An ancient one, banner of over a thousand acunts
Staff member
May 30, 2006
Super Mancyland
Wii Online Code
8041-7231-3447-6164
Cheap PS3 means its more likely ill be getting one

Heres the tech guys opinion of it
The single largest roadblock that prevents most people from picking up a PlayStation 3 is the price. Sony's just taken that roadblock and shrunk it. You're now $100 more likely to buy a PlayStation 3
500x_ps3slim2_01.jpg

The Difference

The PlayStation 3 Slim is actually more similar to the current PlayStation 3 fat than you'd think. Sony has been slowly phasing out features in the PS3 for a while, dumping USB ports, dumping card readers and dumping the PlayStation 2 backward compatibility. So the step to a Slim, now, isn't actually that steep, compared to what you'd get if you switched from a launch PS3.
What you do get with the Slim is a smaller size, a reduced power consumption rate and a lower price. The lower power usage partially comes from the 45nm manufacturing process, and provides a 34% decrease in power consumption. (It's also 32% smaller and 36% lighter). And, the Slim adds the ability to bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio, which only matters if you're an audiophile with a modern sound system. You also get a new matte finish, which makes the console look less "premium", but eliminates the crazy fingerprint and dust problem the original had. Overall, it's a net gain in goodness.

The Experience

Because it's basically the same console, the only differences you're going to notice are audible ones. Like we said in our hands on, the disc drive in the PS3 Slim is louder than in the original PlayStation 3. Think of it like a laptop optical disc drive vs. a desktop optical disc drive. When you're seeking around, it makes a louder grinding noise than its larger counterpart. This noise makes no difference in Blu-ray movie watching, since it's all sequential, and is only occasionally encountered in games, especially since many game install bits and pieces to the hard drive.
Other than that, yeah, it plays the same PS3 games, and it watches the same Blu-ray movies.
The Takeaway

Think about the PlayStation 3 and the PlayStation 3 Slim like this. You have two wives (I don't know, imagine you're Bill Paxton). Ninety-five percent of the time, they both do pretty much the same things. One is slightly chubbier, the other is slightly svelter. The skinnier one is quieter most of the time, but can get yappy when she can't find something. The thinner one also costs you a little less money, and...has a matted finish? This metaphor isn't going anywhere good, but you get the point. They're basically the same console, except now it's thinner and cheaper.

500x_ps3slim3_01.jpg

So the only question now is whether or not you should buy a PlayStation 3 now, or wait until September for the PS3 Slim. Both options are $300, but if you want the ability to install Linux, you'll have to get the PlayStation 3 fat. Then again, the three of you who want that probably already have a PS3. By lowering the price and making a more economical console, Sony's finally more or less evened the hardware landscape with Microsoft, and continued to ensure that the PS3 is still the best-value-for-your-money Blu-ray player. Now all that's left is getting some more games on there.

gizplus_03.jpg
Lighter, thinner, less power hungry

gizplus_03.jpg
Way less fingerprinty

giznormal_05.jpg
Matted finish and new "squarer" styling might appeal to some, repulse others

gizminus_05.jpg
Needs a $24 stand to be stable in the vertical position

gizminus_05.jpg
Continues the tradition of removing features (USB ports, backward compatibility, Linux support) in the PS3 to lower the price​

Via Gizmodo

-USB ports? well shoot. thats how i uploaded music and pics to it. i'm fine with my regular PS3.

It still has 2 USB ports (as opposed to 4 in older PS3 models). And you can hook up a USB hub to it for more ports.

Prinny, it's still £250~ cheapest here.

Prinny, it's still £250~ cheapest here.
Ill be getting a second hand one
They will be cheaper
Slight prob
I need money first

Well, the stable thing can just be fixed with a bookstand (is that the name of it?) and a shelf type thing. Not hard.

Thanks for the all-together, Prinny. I'll be getting one Sep.5th/6th.
Hope you find the money for it, Prinny.

Not worth it if you already have one, imo. Plus, it's uglier than the large one (purely opinion, but I think a lot of people will feel this way).
If you already have a fat ps3, the only thing you'd be missing by not having the slim is a 120gb hard drive, which you can easily get for around $35.

Not worth it if you already have one, imo. Plus, it's uglier than the large one (purely opinion, but I think a lot of people will feel this way).
If you already have a fat ps3, the only thing you'd be missing by not having the slim is a 120gb hard drive, which you can easily get for around $35.

Why anybody would buy another one is beyond me in the first place really. Replacing the other one sure, but like you said it's really isn't worth the effort.

I'm going to need to wait on more Kindgom Hearts 3 news, assuming it comes out on PS3. Other than that, I really see no other reason to buy one for myself..

Well, the stable thing can just be fixed with a bookstand (is that the name of it?) and a shelf type thing. Not hard.
It can be fixed by putting it the way nearly all my classic consoles go and the way that its shown in the pics

I didn't know it couldn't stand up by itself, but besides that, this review could have been more in-depth compared to other reviews out there (IGN has a good one). I guess there is no + for being quieter, the best blu-ray player value, and $100 cheaper, huh?

Review said:
Now all that's left is getting some more games on there.

Oh geez, SHUT UP, you idiot. This isn't freaking 2006.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but this review is fail.

Oh geez, SHUT UP, you idiot. This isn't freaking 2006.
More games as in exclusives.

In before PS3 fanboy rant

lol I'm no fanboy, but it seems to me that Sony has been cranking out the exclusives since late '08.

-USB ports? well shoot. thats how i uploaded music and pics to it. i'm fine with my regular PS3.

PS3 slim did not remove any USB ports, as it still has two. I don't know why this review threw in the USB blurb in that negative when the current fat PS3 models also have only 2 USB ports. I think he meant that the PS3 has removed USB ports over its lifetime (there were 4 in the launch models).

Last edited:
Back