Reggie Criticizes Reviews

thank you, yeah its not that wii sports is negative, its a great way of demonstrating the wii's capabilities & involving people who have previously been alienated by other more complex consoles (e.g old women, middle aged ex golf pro's etc etc). but it would be nice to see one of thoes adverts where the chinese dudes force there way into a random household feature a nice mixture of wii sports, zelda, red steel, NFS, excite truck etc - e.g. something for everyone! it would only stand to benefit nintendo with more customers which would in turn reward us loyal fans with more gaming company interest, better games.. well you get the picture :D

sracer said:
It does. Within the first day there were nearly 600,000 Wii consoles in homes (minus the number that were flipped on eBay). It was a brilliant stroke of genius to release the Wii before the US Thanksgiving holiday weekend. As people were visiting friends and family, they played the Wii... and were hooked. It wasn't Red Steel, MonkeyBall, or Trauma Center, but Wii Sports that got them hooked.

That's why a week later, 125,000 additional Wii consoles were sold. Demand for the Wii remains white-hot.

There will be plenty of time for a Tiger Wood Golf game or PBA Bowling game that pushes the limitations of the Wii graphics, but for now, Wii Sports is the right game for the right time.... even with the simplistic graphic styles.

People are spending HOURS customizing their Miis! HOURS! :crazy: This tells me that they are getting emotionally attached to personally involved with the Wii. And that they will want to play games where their Mii is the central character in games.

so your telling me if the mii's looked more realistic it would make it worse? bollocks mate. look im not complaining bout the mii's or wii sports, dont get that twisted but nobody can argue that better graphics is a bad thing. i wouldn't change a thing about the wii or wii sports they both look great - thats why i bothered to signed up to this forum. great graphics might make a game slightly better, they might not but they sure wont make it worse.

True, Wii Sports is free so obviously the game isn't going to be the best thing ever, but it is a reviewer's job to give his or her opinion of the game. If they thought it had rubbish graphics or some other problem then I would expect them to tell us about it in the review.

sracer said:
It does. Within the first day there were nearly 600,000 Wii consoles in homes (minus the number that were flipped on eBay). It was a brilliant stroke of genius to release the Wii before the US Thanksgiving holiday weekend. As people were visiting friends and family, they played the Wii... and were hooked. It wasn't Red Steel, MonkeyBall, or Trauma Center, but Wii Sports that got them hooked.

That's why a week later, 125,000 additional Wii consoles were sold. Demand for the Wii remains white-hot.

There will be plenty of time for a Tiger Wood Golf game or PBA Bowling game that pushes the limitations of the Wii graphics, but for now, Wii Sports is the right game for the right time.... even with the simplistic graphic styles.

People are spending HOURS customizing their Miis! HOURS! :crazy: This tells me that they are getting emotionally attached to personally involved with the Wii. And that they will want to play games where their Mii is the central character in games.

I would have to say i totally agree. actually one of the main reasons i camped out for the Wii was so that i would have one for thanksgiving for when all my friend came over. Not to mention the first day i had it my girlfriends parents played it(who never play video games) and were totally convinced that they wanted a Wii and were only really interested in Wii sports.
now when i ask myself what game i am going to get i dont look at graphics any more but how is it played. it does cause me to do more research on a game but that allows me to make sure i get a game i will play more.

good for you. graphics have never really been a big deal to me, they're just a nice bonus (nintendo have realised this & this is why they're onto a winner with the wii). i always read a number of reviews before i cop a game to get a reasonably unbiased opinion. XIII for example wasn't a very good looking game but dammit i love it. not many people seem to agree with me but i thought it was awesome & i have replayed it more times than i care to remember.

all_eyez_on_me_88 said:
but nobody can argue that better graphics is a bad thing.

Well that depends on how you define "Better graphics" I do think that it is not the size of the polygon breasts (Do not take literally) but more so artistic vision and how art is supporting game that counts. I think Wii sports looks fantastic because graphics are supporting game and it's core rather well. Allso I think that with some half serious asset try to make wii sports "look better" instead of simplified human kariatures it would loose some of it's edge.

ok i hear what your saying mate but i personally dont define good graphics by the size of the game characters breasts? lmao. nobody would have a bad word to say if the mii's looked like a spitting image of you... obviously its not gunna happen but better graphics are never a bad thing & i stand by that. wii sports looks good, looks fun but everyone who has already seen it & liked it is already biased. if nintendo had never released it like that & instead the mii's looked like you 100% then nobody on this forum would be arguing "yeah it looks really good but i just wish nintendo had dummed it down abit & used more basic graphics. it would make the game alot better..." lol... better graphics might not always improve the game but they can NEVER MAKE IT WORSE

all_eyez_on_me_88 said:
so your telling me if the mii's looked more realistic it would make it worse?
Sheesh. How about limiting your thinking to what I actually wrote.

all_eyez_on_me_88 said:
bollocks mate. look im not complaining bout the mii's or wii sports, dont get that twisted but nobody can argue that better graphics is a bad thing. i wouldn't change a thing about the wii or wii sports they both look great - thats why i bothered to signed up to this forum. great graphics might make a game slightly better, they might not but they sure wont make it worse.
Nobody said better graphics aren't better. If you can't see that cartoony graphics is making the system more approach to non-gamers, then I don't know what to tell you.

The simplicity of the graphics in Wii Sports and Miis makes the system less intimidating to older, non-gamers. For these people, higher-res graphics = more complex gameplay. Heck, there are gamer fanboys that believe the same thing!

sracer said:
The simplicity of the graphics in Wii Sports and Miis makes the system less intimidating to older, non-gamers. For these people, higher-res graphics = more complex gameplay. Heck, there are gamer fanboys that believe the same thing!

Agreed man. Nintendo is going for simplicity with the bundled game to attract that first wave of "non" gamers. But my qeuestion is, what are they doing for gamers? No online, terrible graphics (some worst than next-gen), and in some cases, simplified features. That can only go so far before the true gamers start wanting more.

Thats when they bring out more, with these features. Yes, the geniousity! Like, Tiger Woods online or something. With graphics compariable to the PS3! But not in a good way. Hopefully when true gamers start wanting more, nintendo will answer their call. Except if the phone line is busy.

ABC, you have done many posts. Just so you know.

ABC said:
Agreed man. Nintendo is going for simplicity with the bundled game to attract that first wave of "non" gamers. But my qeuestion is, what are they doing for gamers? No online, terrible graphics (some worst than next-gen), and in some cases, simplified features. That can only go so far before the true gamers start wanting more.
That is Nintendo's next challenge and it will ultimately show whether the Wii is holiday-season flash-in-the-pan for an innovative game system that breaks the mold.

As for "true gamers" I hope that you aren't talking about the typical Playstation and XBox gamers. Nintendo has very wisely stated they aren't going to compete in that gamespace. I believe that this time around, Nintendo will offer a wider variety of games... I mean, COD3 as a launch title?! I wouldn't have thought that.

Developing for the Wii is far less expensive and less complex than developing for the 360 or PS3. When we factor that in with the sales and buzz of the Wii, suddenly it becomes an attractive system to develop for.

The next 6-12 months will be telling. But so far, I really like where the big "N" is going.

I didnt know Reggie goes to IGN.com!!!
Anyways Red Steel is a difficult game.....Reggie needs to think about what hes saying!

nkbswe5 said:
ABC, you have done many posts. Just so you know.

Not sure what that means but yes, I have "done many posts". :eek:ut: I like doing hot chicks as well.

Back