Rockstar comment on Manhunt ban

Rob Rymond

WiiChat Member
Jun 17, 2007
Solihull, U.K
[xFLOAT=left]http://www.wiichat.com/robry/manhunt2.jpg[/xFLOAT]Following the announcement yesterday by the BBFC that Manhunt 2 has being banned from sale in UK stores, Rockstar today commented on the outcome.

In a press statement, the company said:

"We are disappointed with the recent decision by the British Board of Film Classification to refuse classification of Manhunt 2. While we respect the authority of the classification board and will abide by the rules, we emphatically disagree with this particular decision.

"Manhunt 2 is an entertainment experience for fans of psychological thrillers and horror. The subject matter of this game is in line with other mainstream entertainment choices for adult consumers.

"We respect those who have different opinions about the horror genre and video games as a whole, but we hope they will also consider the opinions of the adult gamers for whom this product is intended. We believe all products should be rated to allow the public to make informed choices about the media and art they wish to consume. The stories in modern video games are as diverse as the stories in books, film and television. The adult consumers who would play this game fully understand that it is fictional interactive entertainment and nothing more."

Meanwhile over in America US rating company ESRB have given the title an AO (Adult Only) rating which means access to the game will be limited due to many chain stores refusing to sell titles falling into this range.

After the Hot Coffee incident with GTA San Andreas last year, this title was remarked as AO until the content removed and meant many stores were left unable to sell the popular title also published by Rockstar.

Rockstar have six weeks to appeal in the UK for a decision to be overturned and we'll keep you updated.

"The stories in modern video games are as diverse as the stories in books, film and television. The adult consumers who would play this game fully understand that it is fictional interactive entertainment and nothing more"

True!

I've a thread in the lounge about censorship - realating partly to this issue. Chekkit!...
Or don't? meh.

2 points of interest for me:
1. BBFC - British Board of Film Certification. - Since it's not "Censorship", is it absoltuely certain that the lack of an "18" will mean it will not be sold in the UK? What about the PEGI system?
2. I was actually looking forward to Manhunt 2 (hadn't played the original, but I thought this looked interesting). I'm also over the age of 18. Shouldn't I have the right to buy something like this? Same with "Rule of Rose" on the PS2. I don't see why I shouldn't have my rights to buy something that a developer has poured vast amounts of time and hard work into, just because of some bunch of idiots who thinks that they knows what's best - even for adults.

Just means that people will look for illegitimate ways of playing the game.

Maybe I'll buy a freeloader and get it on import...

I hope Rockstar over-turns this - otherwise, this is just another step towards the dreaded "nanny-state".

Last edited:
I'm sure the game would of been 18 anyway, and I'm sure that 18+ won't be influenced from a game (except if they're psychos). Problem being, just because it's an 18 won't stop younger gamers getting it if it wasn't banned (which I'm sure a bunch of us have done), so I see the UK's thoughts, but no need to ban it completly.. could of at least released it temporarily then banned it (like the first Manhunt), so some people would have a chance on getting it :p

Wow now Ireland and Germany have banned it as well, this isn't good for the people who want more games from Rockstar in the future. The more places it's banned = lower sales = Rockstar unhappy = less games from Rockstar on Wii.

Squall7 said:
2 points of interest for me:
1. BBFC - British Board of Film Certification. - Since it's not "Censorship", is it absoltuely certain that the lack of an "18" will mean it will not be sold in the UK? What about the PEGI system?

Yes, what happens is because games are increasingly lifelike, they get referred to the BBFC for rating especially when they contain video footage/CGI sequences that are lifelike.

In the last few years we've had games with U and PG ratings which never ever happened in the 90's due to the technology and although it appears to be weird at first it's because these kids games feature moving video footage which has to be rated.

Because Manhunt 2 was refferred to the BBFC, it won't be rated by PEGI who are just an advisory board, there are no legal restrictions on say a child buying a 16+ PEGI rated title DESPITE what signs say in big giants such as GAME. Basically there chatting rubbish that ID is required ;)

im not fussed that its been banned,didnt like the original so not fusse dwith this one

Hang on is this game even out yet ?

this game better have sex games if its gonna be rated ao
violence is never good enough to boost something to adults only
ps i hear hilary clinton wants to BAN ALL GAMES

At the rate its going, it won't get a release, as Nintendo refuses to release AO (adult only games) as does Sony.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/20/nintendo-and-sony-wont-touch-manhunt-2-with-ao-rating/

In Nintendo's own Nintendo Buyer's Guide the company clearly states, "Please note that Nintendo does not sell or license games that carry the ESRB rating 'AO' (Adults Only)." Joystiq also spoke with Sony spokesman Dave Karraker who stated, "Currently it's SCE's policy not to allow the playback of AO rated content on our systems."

Nice going
Sheding Nintendos kidy image

If a game makes it into the tabload papers it sells more

Flagel said:
At the rate its going, it won't get a release, as Nintendo refuses to release AO (adult only games) as does Sony.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/20/nintendo-and-sony-wont-touch-manhunt-2-with-ao-rating/

In Nintendo's own Nintendo Buyer's Guide the company clearly states, "Please note that Nintendo does not sell or license games that carry the ESRB rating 'AO' (Adults Only)." Joystiq also spoke with Sony spokesman Dave Karraker who stated, "Currently it's SCE's policy not to allow the playback of AO rated content on our systems."

WOW! That is ridiculous! It also says in that artice that Microsoft, and Sony feel the same way! So why is there even an AO rating if neither msft, sony, or nintendo license AO games. ITS A FREE DAMNED COUNTRY I WANT TO CHOOSE WHAT GAME I PLAY! (or what movie I watch, or what book I read)

This is a really good comment I found: "Sony will sell this thing because if I were Take Two, I would say I'll retool the game for the XBOX360 and release LA Noire and GTAIV as 360 exclusives. Sony isn't in a position right now to piss on a big third party developer and they would love for Nintendo to drop the game so you'd have to go out and buy the PSP or PS2 version."

Last edited:
I don't understand why censors get so upset over games like this. Aren't there movies which show more graphic, gruesome and vivid depictions of human mutilation that any videogame could ever represent? Why aren't they subject to the same scrutiny? I largely agree with what Squall7 has to say about coming a step closer to the "nanny state".

What really aches me about this topic is that the only people complaining about games like this are those annoying soccer mums who don't want their upper-class primary schooled son 'little Billy' playing games that involve such graphic violence. Does the +18 rating mean nothing to you? Does she even know that she's breaking the law by buying an overage game for a minor? It's quite simple, if you're too young to be playing it, DON'T PLAY IT. Don't spoil the experience for the older crowd who know that it's only a game.

And as for the argument about influencing people to commit violent crimes, I think you'll find that most of the most violent criminals have never played a video game in their life. Violence has existed as long as humans have walked the Earth, and if Videogames have any relevance to it I'd say the violence depicted in them represents the primal human survival instincts, killing in the interest of self-preservation (kind of ironic when you think about it - ending others lives to prolong your own, still, history shows this to be the case time and time again). *edit* It is shown as more of a social commentary as opposed to being shown as attempting to incite violent behavior.

Besides, look already at all the videogame violence we already have around us; I walk into any games store and see the walls lined with WW2/Desert/Urban/Tactical Combat games, games often involving lots of violent activities, I mean seriously, look at Soldier of Fortune 2, even today it is still considered one of the most graphic representations of modern warfare, with a penchant for the unique pathology of head wounds... Nasty stuff... But back on with my point, even with the violence of the games we already have, do we see an increase in violent crimes in society? No. According to what these "censors" and politicians believe, if violence in videogames really causes violence in society, then technically we should be seeing an exponential growth in violent behavior over the last few years, so by now we should be having daily mass murders by individuals who play alot of video games according to their logic.

If the censors' prime goal of holding games like this off is to stem violent crimes in society, maybe they should be looking at the real causes of violence instead of using videogames as a scapegoat, I'm sick of slack politicians blaming videogames for everything while they remain silent about issues of child abuse, molestation, drug abuse and bullying as far more credible and realistic causes of violent and antisocial behavior.

To summarise, videogames don't influence people, anyone with half a brain knows they can't fall six stories and then collect coins to heal themself; and if you're too naive or just plain stupid enough to be influenced by them, then you shouldn't be playing them.

Sorry if I went on a bit here, but this is an issue that makes my blood boil.

Ez

Last edited:
Back