The Final Hour: Looking back at the buildup to Brawl (SPOILERS)

GigaRidley

Ouroboros
Jan 24, 2008
Larchmont, NY
Wii Online Code
4005-0628-2206-3853
Well, this is it, 10 days left till brawl. It's been a long journey, but now American gamers are finally going to get the title we've been waiting for. From that first, awe-inspiring teaser (in which Snake and the often-discussed Final Smashes was revealed to an unexpecting world) & the smash bros. DOJO releasing spectacular news such as Sonic's inclusion and Stage builder, all the way to the leak in Hong Kong (where the full roster was finally revealed) and Brawl's japanese release, almost all the smash bros. news has gotten us pumped for this highly anticipated game. This thread is where you can post the top 5 most exciting news to you throughout the road to brawl, as well as the most dissapointing one. I'll start (WARNING: SPOILERS WILL BE INVOLVED, SO LOOK AWAY IF YOU PLAN ON SAVING THE SECRETS FOR THE GAME'S RELEASE):
5)Wi-Fi Play: Finally, the prayers of brawlers everywhere were answered, as online gaming finally became available in a smash bros. game.
4)The Original Trailer: I can't recall how many times I saw this, just to watch the awesomeness over and over again. This also revealed 3rd-Party Characters and Final Smashes, which are a definate plus.
3)Stage Builder: My god, this was incredible. This truly makes the game one you can play FOREVER, and was both an unexpected and welcome addition to SSBB.
2)Subspace Emissary: Addressing one of the only weaknesses in SBBM, the new single player(which now includes co-op, whoohoo!) was one of the new additions that didn't really feel like just an addition, more like a whole new game. Also, the new bosses found within 1-Player are INTENSE (Ridley looks better than his boss fights in Metroid, and that's saying something).
1)Sonic The Hedgehog: I literally jumped out of my seat and danced a little when I saw this update. One of my favorite videogame characters finally appeared alongside the Greats of Nintendo, and I personally couldn't have been happier.
Most Dissappointing:Brawl Delayed (AGAIN): All right, one delay, fine. Two delays, I can handle. But when brawl was moved from February 10th to March 9th I almost couldn't handle it. I was so close to finally getting my copy of brawl, only to have it snatched away. The only silver lining of this situation was that it was moved only less than a month up, so at least I didn't have to wait till July to finally get the game.

All right, so what are YOUR top 5?

ok here it goes...

1. Solid Snake: I literally had tears in my eyes when i saw him along side mario and the other nintendo favorites... that was like the best thing ever!!! (ive always have been a metal gear fan). His codec movies also seem hilarious, cant wait to see the rest!!! :worship:

2. Sonic: Pure genious bringing the blue blur to fight the plumber... i mean common, who doesnt want to test that out??? :yesnod:

3. Stage Builder: In any game that had a stage builder, i always loved making my own map and letting friends test them out... now this is what makes ssbb GRRRREAT!!!

well i really cant think of 5, but hey, 3 is better then none...

Disappointment: Of course the delay, since ive been waiting since November 2006, but not being able to play assist trophies... like grey fox, he looks sweet... or even mac (i think) from mike tysons punch out... and they should have added BATTLE TOADS!!!! who doesnt agree with that one???

1.) Snake (Sonic as well). Pretty unexpected for me. I don't play Metal Gear Solid so I can't say I was eternally rejoicing, but it sounds great, and opened up possibility for other third party : )

2.) Online. That's a definite for most player. Even with its service I'm glad they've implemented Wi-Fi support.

3.) Support of GC controller. I didn't expected it, great to know I can play with the old controller though.

4.) Subspace. It's pretty exciting.. I actually spoiled myself by watching all its clip on youtube. But when I play the game it'll be a fresh experience.

5.) Soundtrack. Amazing. Actually seeing Nobuo Uematsu work on the main theme was astounding.

Disappointment: Clones still remained, even more added. Mainly it until I actually play the game and know more heheh.

1)Wi-Fi: Online smashing was the biggest new addition for me. It opens up the realm of multi player to those who don't have a close knit social network of friends who constantly compete with each other.

2)Soundtrack: The music would score well if released alone as a medly of VG remixes. The soundtrack is just too awesome for words to justify.

3)Subspace: Finally! A reason to WANT to play single player. The lack of VO for the characters is a bit of a let down but then again there would be those who would complain that the voices weren't good enough and ruined the experience, blah blah... So in the end it's better as it is now. And besides "Actions speak louder than words" and this game has no lack of action.

4)Assist Trophies: A way to squeeze in those characters that would have made such bad ass Brawlers. The variety is pretty good. Only sadly, al ot of them aren't as strong as the originally seemed to be. I expected them to be like Pokemon, a pretty much guaranteed KO. But they're pretty dank none the less.

5)Stage Builder: This is one of the greatest things they could have added. The ability to make custom stages allows for tons of strategic battle planning, customizing strategies around the stage you or someone else designs. This allows for near endless new experiences and replay factor.

Dislikes

The one biggest issues I have was that they cloned a lot of the final smashes, and some of the characters.

Also Sonic seems rather uninspired to me. His specials are just two variations of the spin dash.
Snake on the other hand seems very well thought out and programmed. But to be fair I haven't played the game so I can;t really judge Sonic yet.

ironmanswe said:
Disappointment: Of course the delay, since ive been waiting since November 2006, but not being able to play assist trophies... like grey fox, he looks sweet... or even mac (i think) from mike tysons punch out... and they should have added BATTLE TOADS!!!! who doesnt agree with that one???
Lmao, Battle Toads would be a cool assist trophy. i remember playing Battletoads and Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team for the SNES. Good times, good times.

5.New Stages:Always Cool :D
4.Final Smashes:Always wanted em'
3.Assist Trophies:The Best Way To Include Characters Without Really Including Them
2.Lucario/Pit:Too Cool
1.Wi-Fi:My fav part about it:D

Pretty Short But Watever right:D

Douten said:
5.) Soundtrack. Amazing. Actually seeing Nobuo Uematsu work on the main theme was astounding.

Yeah, I am simply bowled over by main theme. It is amazing. I'm not normally one for that type of music but few songs have me in love. Jerusalem..brawl theme...zelda medleys...FF soundtracks in general.

5. New Characters
new characters are always awesome! i cant wait to try out dedede, or sonic
4. Subspace
this will defently bring up my play time in brawl, i cant wait!
3. Stage's
the new stage's look totaly awesome!!!
2. Wifi
self explanitory
1. ASSIST TROPHYS
finnaly! another thing in the game that attacks people for you (pokemon didnt suit me)

5. Wi-Fi (With Friends): Been looking forward to playing online for a while, but especially using the 'With Friends' feature. Despite the tedious Friend Codes, I'm sure it will turn out to be a lot of fighting your friends in each in the comfort of their own living rooms. Since there is no headset, I'll keep the phone nearby.

4. Character Remodeling: Sakurai and his team did an excellent job re-creating the Brawlers in...Brawl. Take a look at the difference between
Falco in Melee and Brawl:
ssbmfalco.jpg
TO
hidden04.jpg
Obviously, Nintendo has used the Wii's graphical capabilities to it's best. The detail in the characters is looking amazing.

3. Stage Builder: Great idea. Simple as that. Recreating stages from past SSB titles and of course making some unique and diverse stages looks like it will be a lot of fun. Setting traps and what not. I only wish Nintendo added a few more options when it came to modeling the stages, but in general...nice work.

2. Multiplayer Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary is looking to be one of the best features in Brawl. I heard that it was written by a Final Fantasy producer which makes it sound even better. What's more, playing with my younger sister (7) and working to get through all the stages seems like a blast. Definitely a step up from Melee's Adventure Mode.

1. New Stages: At first, seeing the stages in Brawl looked dull and all the same to me. but when the Dojo opened up, it showed me in depth that each stage had its own twists and surprises. Even more, some of the later released stages looked great!

Disappointment: Cloning was a problem in Melee and I guess it stuck a bit in Brawl. While some characters might not be "complete" clones, they still share basic moversets and in some cases, Final Smashes which really disappointed me.

5. Subspace Emissary: finally a 'real' single-player

4. Snake: First non-nintendo character :D

3. 4 different controllers usable: This one is big

2. Wi-fi Multiplayer: This is what i've always wanted

1. Pokemon Trainer and Pikmin: These two characters have got me all hyped up about SSBB

Dissapointment: Delays and no leaderboards, etc.

5. Music Collection I didn't really appreciate the music in the game until the game tracks started popping up on youtube. Bramble Blast! Scrap Brain Zone! Others I can't think of!
4. Wavebird Compatable Would have hated playing with the remote/nunchuk (i think)
3. Sonic the Hedgehog The Sonic franchise (2d games) were what I grew up playing, and include some of my favorite games. Heck, I had a Sonic the Hedgehog birthday cake when I was 6. Going to 'main' him no matter what.
2. Wi-Fi Play Playing with friends that live out of state now will be awesome.
1. The Original Trailer Got me hyped up for the game way back when it first came out. SHOWTIME!

GigaRidley said:
Lmao, Battle Toads would be a cool assist trophy. i remember playing Battletoads and Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team for the SNES. Good times, good times.

Yeah very good times... would of been funny to see their facial expressions like in the old days... and you know how it goes... punch punch... HAND GROWS, PUNCH... lol that was the best

COLDshiver said:
5. Subspace Emissary: finally a 'real' single-player

4. Snake: First non-nintendo character :D

3. 4 different controllers usable: This one is big

2. Wi-fi Multiplayer: This is what i've always wanted

1. Pokemon Trainer and Pikmin: These two characters have got me all hyped up about SSBB

Dissapointment: Delays and no leaderboards, etc.

well you cant really say snake wasnt a nintendo character... his first game was on the original nintendo... but got a point... he really didnt get all that famous until Metal Gear Solid for the PSX

Back